Cylance Smart Anti-Virus for Consumer - Worth a Try?

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have an oppportunity to use a Cylance Smart Anti-Virus license for Consumer for a year. Supposedly, it is the cutting edge of protection.
Anyone here use it or would I be better off using the more well known names like Kaspersky, Norton, or Eset for Internet Protection?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It is effective on most everything, especially new or unseen malware, but very weak on scripts. You could add a supplement like VoodooShield, Comodo Firewall, NVT ERP, OS hardening, etc. But why pay for something one needs to supplement? :unsure:

L

Local Host

Depending on your habits it can be enough, it won't offer you any top notch protection. I'm with @DeepWeb on this one, but not everyone likes Kaspersky.

You did say you have the opportunity to use Cylance, so I assume you getting a 1 year license for free. Won't lose anything by trying it yourself, I would suggest pairing it with OSArmor at least.

Mikesierra

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2018
cylance was infected 3 out of 3 times in the hub.
Cylance AV is certainly not the silver bullet but that statement is a little bit spongy. I only know CylancePROTECT for enterprises and there are options to block scripts or to enable memory protection. If product configuration is weak or wrong than you will get for sure infected but this is the case with other products then too.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Cylance AV is certainly not the silver bullet but that statement is a little bit spongy. I only know CylancePROTECT for enterprises and there are options to block scripts or to enable memory protection. If product configuration is weak or wrong than you will get for sure infected but this is the case with other products then too.

I agree that 3 tests don't say a whole lot for any product, but the thread is referring to Cylance Smart AV and not Cylance Protect. Smart AV includes no script protection and no configuration options. Install>forget>block/unblock quarantined files = that's all the user can do.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I agree that 3 tests don't say a whole lot for any product, but the thread is referring to Cylance Smart AV and not Cylance Protect. Smart AV includes no script protection and no configuration options. Install>forget>block/unblock quarantined files = that's all the user can do.

I agree with this as well. Even the all mighty Kaspersky has allowed infections on the hub. If you use the internet there’s always that risk. Unless an av solution is abysmal then that risk is fairly similar with most solutions. Default deny works best, but only if the user know what to green light, not a solution for people who aren’t advanced users.

Mikesierra

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2018
Thanks for the clarification. In this case it is definitely not the best idea to run Cylance Smart AV without a strong companion. ;)

thrillskr

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2018
paired with a gryphon Home router it’s working great. Very light on resources and not bloaded.

But hounoustly...i think this is not a consumer product. Normal $29 1 PC a year.

For that money there are a lot better solutions. Nice for geeks, but asking for problems if average users will
using it as there only protection.

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
I just wanted to say i dont know if many remember but in cylance beginning days i was with them from the start of the early beta stages i believe
Cathy was there main social media ( Twitter Girl ) and she dealt with resolving problems with cylance protect remember always contacting her
about memory and cpu usage was so high and alot of software bugs /errors. That is when Cylance cared about home user protection remember Cylance sent me some items i believe it was a hat a coffee mug and a huge book on security oh and a twitter (shout) for helping Cylance protect.
Then they just ended home users so in reality us users were used for our help and probably are system data so Cylance could go on protecting
businesses that was there main goal.We the home users were flat out not important (never were).Then after a few years gone by the realized
that there just getting by with protecting commercial and need more standard income to keep there operation running so they come out of the
Dark web and start Cylance Home Protect.So Thrillskr above reply is right its not a consumer product at all.And i would not trust them at all.
I believe im writing this just to get this off my mind on how bad they used the home user.not saying not to use them just my thoughts on
what they did to us. (I feel much better now) gonna burn that book and hat now!!! coffee mug already broke and if anyone does read this I thank you for reading my grief
with them...........

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I heavily criticized Cylance (and most of the Ai hype) from the very beginning , it is just smoke & mirror, often with shady marketing stances and fancy gimmicks to attract customers... but you have one year for free; just use it as an experiment and maybe you will like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have an oppportunity to use a Cylance Smart Anti-Virus license for Consumer for a year. Supposedly, it is the cutting edge of protection.
Anyone here use it or would I be better off using the more well known names like Kaspersky, Norton, or Eset for Internet Protection?

An internet security suite will provide you with more comprehensive protection.

Reactions: roger_m

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
You get more from KSC Free...

Edit: I just noticed I've already said that in this thread. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.