Data of 'Nearly All Adults' in Bulgaria Stolen

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Personal data belonging to millions of Bulgarians has been stolen in a cyber-attack on the country's tax agency.

According to a local cyber-security researcher, most adults in the country of seven million people are likely to have had some data compromised. Bulgarian authorities have arrested a 20-year-old man on suspicion of involvement in the attack. Among the stolen data were names, addresses and even some details of personal income, local media reported. The tax agency now faces a fine of up to 20 million euros (£18m), a representative of the Commission for Personal Data Protection said. "It is safe to say that the personal data of practically the whole Bulgarian adult population has been compromised,"

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

And there is nothing one can do to prevent that type of data theft/privacy invasion in your life.

It's pretty sad that we are all vulnerable to personal data rape like this.

So true. You can control your privacy and data as much as you like. However it still won't help in cases like this. Our data is handled by so many firms, and most of those firms already have compromises in most cases - undiscovered ones, that all of our work won't make much of a difference in the end.

We need deep data protection laws. Including specific licensing requirements for IT people at firms so they can adhere to best practices (ISO). In addition, we need to make it very very damaging financially for a company to get a compromise. Right now, it's easier to skimp on IT and get away with it than it is to bring everything up to high standards.

I'm a ghost on the internet. Nothing, not even a single tidbit on me is available. I've never used my real name or photo anywhere. Yet all of that is meaningless once my bank, credit card, or mortgage firm gets compromised or leaks my data...

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I'm a ghost on the internet. Nothing, not even a single tidbit on me is available. I've never used my real name or photo anywhere. Yet all of that is meaningless once my bank, credit card, or mortgage firm gets compromised or leaks my data...
I decided to make Instagram and Facebook to upload some pictures of me in case if I die. This would help my family and friends to remember and watch photos if they want and help them to prevent losing pictures.
One of my friend died in an accident and we lost all of our photos during the years.

This is the only reason I have photos on my Instagram and Facebook. However there is no way I would share information of me anywhere.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I decided to make Instagram and Facebook to upload some pictures of me in case if I die. This would help my family and friends to remember and watch photos if they want and help them to prevent losing pictures.
One of my friend died in an accident and we lost all of our photos during the years.

This is the only reason I have photos on my Instagram and Facebook. However there is no way I would share information of me anywhere.

I have that issue solved.

Photos from devices are synced on an end to end (transit) and at-rest zero knowledge encrypted cloud service hosted outside of the USA. Everything is gathered here. The data center is incredibly secure. The service passes all audits and compliance standards. I control the encryption keys.

From here, every 90 days I backup everything on that cloud service to a physical passport drive. This drive is kept in a fire safe in the home anyone in the family has the code to access.

I recently had a privacy firm that works with federal/LE employees scan me and my family on the internet. One of my children has 100% ghost-mode, since that child from birth, has utilized fake information on the internet as part of our instructions/mandates to her for internet use. The other child has at most, 4-5 things searchable. My wife has been redacted to a level approaching 98%, and I am 100% redacted in full ghost mode, with ancillary connections/links also removed. I have retained a privacy enforcement company to remove the 4-5 things from my son, and the rest of my wife's stuff. It will be gone in a matter of weeks (or less).

If I need to change employment I RARELY need to post anything as I am good at people-networking. But if I do, I create a Linkedin account, apply for a few positions, get one, then eradicate the account. Most of my moves are lateral, or within the same firms/branches so that is rarely required and helps to elevate my privacy to an even higher degree.

The entire street I live on is redacted from all satellite images and mapping as well. While I agree in some cases, this actually (potentially) increases scrutiny of us with questions of why/how/who. However it is irrelevant, without a warrant they can't legally progress in that questioning, and without probable cause they can't get a warrant to find out anything more so it really all pays off in the end. Having extreme privacy and being a ghost is actually liberating in this day and age.

• Wow
Reactions: Thales

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I have that issue solved.

Photos from devices are synced on an end to end (transit) and at-rest zero knowledge encrypted cloud service hosted outside of the USA. Everything is gathered here. The data center is incredibly secure. The service passes all audits and compliance standards. I control the encryption keys.

From here, every 90 days I backup everything on that cloud service to a physical passport drive. This drive is kept in a fire safe in the home anyone in the family has the code to access.

I recently had a privacy firm that works with federal/LE employees scan me and my family on the internet. One of my children has 100% ghost-mode, since that child from birth, has utilized fake information on the internet as part of our instructions/mandates to her for internet use. The other child has at most, 4-5 things searchable. My wife has been redacted to a level approaching 98%, and I am 100% redacted in full ghost mode, with ancillary connections/links also removed. I have retained a privacy enforcement company to remove the 4-5 things from my son, and the rest of my wife's stuff. It will be gone in a matter of weeks (or less).

If I need to change employment I RARELY need to post anything as I am good at people-networking. But if I do, I create a Linkedin account, apply for a few positions, get one, then eradicate the account. Most of my moves are lateral, or within the same firms/branches so that is rarely required and helps to elevate my privacy to an even higher degree.

The entire street I live on is redacted from all satellite images and mapping as well. While I agree in some cases, this actually (potentially) increases scrutiny of us with questions of why/how/who. However it is irrelevant, without a warrant they can't legally progress in that questioning, and without probable cause they can't get a warrant to find out anything more so it really all pays off in the end. Having extreme privacy and being a ghost is actually liberating in this day and age.

Thank you. Useful as always.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.