Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Data Saver for Chrome

Reduces data usage by using Google servers to optimize pages you visit.

By enabling this extension, Chrome will use Google servers to compress pages that you visit before downloading them. Pages accessed using private connections (HTTPS) or in incognito tabs will not be optimised or seen by Google.

Get more visibility into your data usage by clicking on “Details” to see how much data is used by the sites that you visit. This might help you make more informed decisions regarding your usage based on the type of connection you are using.

You can also enable Data Saver on Mobile Chrome on Android from the Settings menu.

Find out more about Chrome’s Data Saver at Use less data with Chrome’s Data Saver - Chrome Help
Safe Browsing with Data Saver
On Android and iOS, when Data Saver is enabled, Chrome uses Safe Browsing technology to protect you from malware and phishing attacks. Chrome will warn you if you're about to visit a dangerous site.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Update: Data Saver is now out of Beta and available on Chrome Web Store.

After using this extension for a week, I saved 80 MB of data from 400 MB total of HTTP browsing. Remember Incognito and HTTPS secure connections are excluded.

I recommend this for limited bandwidth data plans.

Reactions: Jrs30 and XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
is it safe to use on Online transactions ?
I guess so because like Huracan said it doesn't touch HTTPS sites. I believe most, if not all, online monetary transactions are made on secured sites.

Reactions: Ink

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
It is used for two weeks.
1.png
MT = saved 13,5 MB (6,3%) from 200,3 MB

ramonjosegn

Level 1
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Its very poor.

In forums always show error...

for speed https connections you can enable brotli flag... but its secure? I dont know...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well even though the internet speed here was upgraded to 5 MBPS, I have plan to download that extension because of sometimes unnecessary content will just waste the bandwidth. *

* However in such contradict statement, it does not allow to run at Incognito Mode hence I will steer away for the moment since I barely browse in a usual way. ;)

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.