Windows Firewall - Network security provided by Microsoft
Device Security
Windows Defender SmartScreen
User Account
Administrator - User has complete control over the device
Recent Security Incidents
No malware or privacy issues
Malware Testing
Malware on a secure VM (Isolated from files and network)
Real-time Web & Malware Protection
Cylance Smart Antivirus, Thor Home
Security Protection settings
Custom - Minor changes for Increased Security
Virus and Malware Removal Tools
Zemana Anti-Malware
Browsers and Extensions
Chrome x64; SafeInCloud, uBlock Origin
Web Privacy
Cloudflare DNS
Password Management
SafeInCloud
Default Web Search
Google
System Utilities collection
Revo Uninstaller Pro
ProcessExplorer, Autoruns & TCPView
Personal data Backup
OneDrive Personal 1TB (subscription), External portable HDD
Intervals between Personal data backups
Always-on Sync
Disk Imaging Backup
Macrium Reflect Free
Intervals between System Image backups
Regularly
Device Specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/davisd-laptop.77130/

harlan4096

MalwareTips Staff
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
@davisd: Rollback RX Pro probably can be a good temporal solution, but a full Disk Imaging Backup solution, of course in an external device, is more reliable...

For "Virus and Malware Removal Tools" I would add Norton Power Eraser and/or MalwareBytes Free.

Thanks for sharing :)

OS
Linux
Antivirus
Microsoft
Hi @davisd , I love your config, but I had issues in past with Panda, so let me recommend you an antiexe for running with it. ;) NVT ERP, VoodooShield and SecureAPlus are great and free

I was a Lastpass user and I´m going now with BitWarden. It's the first time I've read about SafeInCloud, and
I'm always open to trying new software, please, what are the advantages of it?

Thank you in advance for your response :)

davisd

Level 16
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Cylance
Hi @davisd , I love your config, but I had issues in past with Panda, so let me recommend you an antiexe for running with it. ;) NVT ERP, VoodooShield and SecureAPlus are great and free

I was a Lastpass user and I´m going now with BitWarden. It's the first time I've read about SafeInCloud, and
I'm always open to trying new software, please, what are the advantages of it?

Thank you in advance for your response :)
Hey. In the late 2016. I was using Webroot and Voodooshield, it was superb and light combo back then, then I got tired of manually updating Voodooshield couple of times a week and bought a ReHIPS, tryed it for few months and then realized It's not needed, because I rarely install/change programs, so whenever I do it now, I install first under a Shadow Defender to see if a program is worth keeping or not. If [edited] actually hits a fan (never actually happened), I just go back to the previous Rollback RX snapshot or revert to the baseline. But I have never used NVT ERP before, so maybe I will at some point with v4 release, so thanks for reminding about it. :) Most of the 2017. time I was using G Data or Emsisoft combined with NVT OSArmor in late 2017. It was really a pleasure without any hassle, I still have an active and paid cc for Emsisoft till 2020 and G Data IS till 2019, so I still support and love both companies as they share similiar Behavioural Blockers and user privacy are also respected to max. and I will probably come back to these guys at some point in 2018. :) Trying Panda Dome Advanced now, and it's been great and light so far, I just don't like UI/animation/transistion between settings glitching when navigating, also the consumer forum ir horrid and not much help is to be found online, yet, but there is something catchy about Panda and you can basically set it as an Anti-exe with Application Control enabled, so that's pretty cool and also Panda's Firewall is very impressive. :) I'm just concerned that, whenever upgrade will come out, I will have to manually update, and that's really a BS if you ask me, but right now I am trying SEPC in VM and wondering if it could work, also I had a thought of combining it with the Heimdal.Pro, but not decided yet, so I'm still testing.

I was a Lastpass user for more than a year, but then over time I noticed increased battery usage in Android by it's Lastpass app. So I had to look for alternatives, BitWarden wasn't so mature yet and comfortable to be used daily, but now it is, so I stumbled upon SafeInCloud, you can read all the information in their homepage SafeInCloud Password Manager for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac and a dev is a honest and talanted russian programmer. Over these two years I've never had a thought of going back to Lastpass or try similiar password managers, you must try it, so you can judge for yourself, I can only say positive. The one thing is missing, and that's a 2FA, but since all login database is encrypted, stored and synced with my OneDrive account there's nothing to worry about. :)

Edit: SecureAPlus always was a mystery for me, all those animations, colorful texts and bling bling just didn't convince me that they are serious about what they are doing, but I learned that to make it run super smooth and effective, you must do a full scan of your system after install, so SAP can learn your programs. But I highly doubt I will ever use it on my system, maybe for educational purposes, but that UI really turns me away..

Last edited:
OS
Linux
Antivirus
Microsoft
Hey. In the late 2016. I was using Webroot and Voodooshield, it was superb and light combo back then, then I got tired of manually updating Voodooshield couple of times a week and bought a ReHIPS, tryed it for few months and then realized It's not needed, because I rarely install/change programs, so whenever I do it now, I install first under a Shadow Defender to see if a program is worth keeping or not. If [edited] actually hits a fan (never actually happened), I just go back to the previous Rollback RX snapshot or revert to the baseline. But I have never used NVT ERP before, so maybe I will at some point with v4 release, so thanks for reminding about it. :) Most of the 2017. time I was using G Data or Emsisoft combined with NVT OSArmor in late 2017. It was really a pleasure without any hassle, I still have an active and paid cc for Emsisoft till 2020 and G Data IS till 2019, so I still support and love both companies as they share similiar Behavioural Blockers and user privacy are also respected to max. and I will probably come back to these guys at some point in 2018. :) Trying Panda Dome Advanced now, and it's been great and light so far, I just don't like UI/animation/transistion between settings glitching when navigating, also the consumer forum ir horrid and not much help is to be found online, yet, but there is something catchy about Panda and you can basically set it as an Anti-exe with Application Control enabled, so that's pretty cool and also Panda's Firewall is very impressive. :) I'm just concerned that, whenever upgrade will come out, I will have to manually update, and that's really a BS if you ask me, but right now I am trying SEPC in VM and wondering if it could work, also I had a thought of combining it with the Heimdal.Pro, but not decided yet, so I'm still testing.

I was a Lastpass user for more than a year, but then over time I noticed increased battery usage in Android by it's Lastpass app. So I had to look for alternatives, BitWarden wasn't so mature yet and comfortable to be used daily, but now it is, so I stumbled upon SafeInCloud, you can read all the information in their homepage SafeInCloud Password Manager for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac and a dev is a honest and talanted russian programmer. Over these two years I've never had a thought of going back to Lastpass or try similiar password managers, you must try it, so you can judge for yourself, I can only say positive. The one thing is missing, and that's a 2FA, but since all login database is encrypted, stored and synced with my OneDrive account there's nothing to worry about. :)

Edit: SecureAPlus always was a mystery for me, all those animations, colorful texts and bling bling just didn't convince me that they are serious about what they are doing, but I learned that to make it run super smooth and effective, you must do a full scan of your system after install, so SAP can learn your programs. But I highly doubt I will ever use it on my system, maybe for educational purposes, but that UI really turns me away..
First of all thank you for such a detailed explanation

I share your views on GData and Emsisoft. Users, we have "got used to" that our privacy in computers is always in the hands of third parties, it is grateful to have a little honesty in this binary world.

About SafeInCloud, well, I want to try it. I don't mind either that it lacks 2FA, when you upload a data to the cloud you never REALLY know where it is going. I'm a Protonmai user but I've used Gmail, Yandex mail and Yahoo in the past, as well as browsers like Chrome or Yandex and antivirus like Qihoo and I don't forget Microsoft, so everything that smells of honesty makes me feel "skeptically grateful", because my experience in the past has been very different.

I say goodbye as I started, thanking you for your answer and telling you that you have spurred my curiosity about SafeInCloud. That's good, I'm here to enjoy learning. :)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

davisd

Level 16
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Cylance
Making some changes.

Removed: Panda Dome Advanced (countless bugs, protection sometimes turn off itself after a restart, UI glitching when navigating through settings, alerts sometimes doesn't show up after threat is found, etc., but I would like to return to Panda one day, right now it's not really safe to use it). Windscribe Pro (now only used in VMware). Shadow Defender (no point to use it on host since all stuff is tested before in VM first). Zemana AntiMalware (not gonna use it since now I have HMP with Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Sophos & HitmanPro forensic engine on-demand scanning). Firefox (back to Chrome for increased security). Rollback RX Pro (no need for it anymore)

Added: Sophos Home Premium (I was thinking of SEPC, but I prefer more InterceptX from Sophos and also old bugs which I encountered before are gone, so it's worth trying it for some time now, since I've got a 1 year key after a BETA was over), NVT SysHardener, Norton Power Eraser, VMworkstation Pro 14, CCleaner, Google Chrome, Macrium Reflect Free (found an old HDD laying around "Seagate Momentus 5400.6 ST9500325AS'', fitted in my Kingston HyperX portable case, and vola, got an 500GB external HDD now, it's a bit slow though, but got a full disk image backup now :giggle:)

2.jpg

1.PNG

Last edited:

davisd

Level 16
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Cylance
After 20 days with SHP.

Removed: Sophos Home Premium (issues described in #145, #154, #157 posts), WPD WPD (now tweaks to current system is done manually via gpedit)

Added: Emsisoft (if you are thinking why I don't use WD, #218 post), Microsoft Account (for Always-on Sync, Mail, OneDrive, Calendar etc.) Sandboxie (will keep it installed since I have lifetime lic.), Shadow Defender (thanks to Malwaretips grabbed a copy for host as well Expired - Shadow Defender [Unlimited for 72 hours])

Keeping it as simple as possible. ;)

davisd

Level 16
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Cylance
Another month has passed.

Removed: Emsisoft (nothing wrong with it, I usually install it as a temporary AV solution when I haven't decided yet what security setup I want to try next.)

Added: Panda Dome Complete, Zemana Anti-Malware (as an additional on-demand scanner), Heimdal Pro (to complement Panda's average malicious url filtering and for system wide traffic scan)
Removed: Panda Dome Advanced (countless bugs, protection sometimes turn off itself after a restart, UI glitching when navigating through settings, alerts sometimes doesn't show up after threat is found, etc., but I would like to return to Panda one day, right now it's not really safe to use it).
Why Panda Doom? So with v18.06 I haven't been able to reproduce protection not starting/disabling itself, in previous releases it was due to a PSUAService.exe crashing out of itself and living it's own life, now there are no signs of it going bananas. Next, UI is still lagy, but I can live with that as long as it's not affecting protection mechanisms and Panda support said they will improve it, so I believe them. Alerts now correctly shows up. Panda e-mail support now answers me in next business day, so that's already impressive, knowing that some users wait weeks. Malware detection is remarkable tho in VM, in my testing versus fresh malware and various scripts (most from Hybrid-Analysis) with its Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Cyber-Security and Technology - Panda Security it outperforms Sophos, even without Application Control enabled, it already feels like an anti-exe, it's just that good. Also, with Panda's Firewall I have 0 ports open out of 65535, but I didn't go as far to perform any test attacks, so I should be good to go into public. :D There are still bugs, but I have high expectations with next Dome versions, since I gave them many of bug findings and suggestions how to improve the software. :giggle:

Why not Sophos Home Premium? Yes, performance issues I encountered are gone with v1.3.x, malicious traffic detection is outstanding, but not-available local settings triggers me and most importantly, it's not very good at detecting new malware which has one or two engine detections at VirusTotal and those aren't FP's. It sometimes feels like Sophos intendently doesn't react on malicious behaviours performed on the system. Nasty stuff still slips in the system and you can only hope for a Sophos Home Clean to detect something later on in your already-infected system. Although, I will still be using SHP on my other two parents laptops (most likely till Jan. 2019, I don't plan to renew my subscribtion.) at least SHP is stable now, but Panda is still a bit too broken to be used on other non-local systems to set as install-and-forget security solution, unlike Sophos Home.

Hopefully no Doom this month. :D:D

Last edited: