[Debate] Registry Cleaners : Are they really useful or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I have a problem going on with my pc. Today i uninstalled a software from my pc through iobit uninstaller, after uninstallation the scan for left over items and registry keys took a very long time. I taught i would be the problem with software, but as i try to uninstall another program, its reflecting the same way. I taught it would be a problem with the uninstaller software, i changed it to revo free uninstaller, its also acting the same way. Even i tried ccleaner registry cleaner to do so, damn scan took more than 5 min with just 2 traces. so any one have any idea?

What was the software that you uninstalled?
Does this happen when you uninstall another program?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Usually i used to have a silent PC operating experience. Ever since i switched to microsoft account it seems to be a different game. I uninstalled xmarks, adguard. for better performance, but its acting differently, firefox clutters, trying all registry scans but unable to fix this one. Should i restore and try?

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Usually i used to have a silent PC operating experience. Ever since i switched to microsoft account it seems to be a different game. I uninstalled xmarks, adguard. for better performance, but its acting differently, firefox clutters, trying all registry scans but unable to fix this one. Should i restore and try?

What do you mean by that ? You switched from a local account to an online account on Windows 8/8.1 ?

@Aura Advanced scan.

What kind of registry keys were left behind ? Were they conflicting ?

Reactions: Malware1

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
@Aura That's not the point. But, it did leave them in the registry. Nothing gives you hundred percent results.

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
@Aura That's not the point. But, it did leave them in the registry. Nothing gives you hundred percent results.

I know, but the main point here is that it still removed more Registry Entries than a simple uninstall and therefore you have less risk to "need" a Registry Cleaner in the future (even if you don't need one).

Reactions: Malware1

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
purshupro, look on Wise Registry Cleaner free, PCHunter, PowerTool .. use Tiny Watcher.

-but I delete nothing with Wise R. C., I look only (no bother to delete some few entries only, in Wise ..)

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Those who do not like the Metro design, must refrain from the latest version of Wise Registry Cleaner v8.22 (from 07-10 / 2014) ..

I tried this portable version v8.22 from 'portable version' link under Downloads tab .. and I am disappointed with this new version.
Cause Metro design, which is too ugly compared to the old v7 release. And I did not need the new buttons / links to facebook and tweeter - and in addition the GUI dimensions are not adjustables (and smaller ..) ..

My Wise Registry Cleaner Version 7 GUI is pretty, has adjustable dimensions and gives identical scan results, as this v8.22 (I ticked 'Deep Scan' in settings).
Fortunately, the folder of v7 has 4.98 MB (and after slimming Languages: 3.51 MB only! ) - then less than the new v8.22 - 5.9 MB folder.
So with my portable Wise Registry Cleaner v7, I want to clean from time to time - the safe issues with ActiveX and User MRU Lists (which are mostly different from those found by MRU-Blaster). I never use 'System Tuneup' and 'Registry Defrag' possibilities.

- My response to the thread title (Registry Cleaners: Are They REALLY USEFUL or not) - is: YES, for WISE Registry Cleaner v7. Occasionally, not too often ..

EDIT:

Link to download the portable version 7 is here: Wise Registry Cleaner Free Portable Version 7.94.524 : http://malwaretips.com/threads/wise-registry-cleaner-free-portable-version-7-94-524.32341/

Last edited:

MalwareFire

Level 3
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
Download Advanced System Care and CCleaner and your PC will run fast! You don't need more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Download Advanced System Care and CCleaner and your PC will run fast! You don't need more.

... Nope.
Advanced System Care actually bloats your system even more by installing a bunch of useless application with useless features and CCleaner only clean your temp files and folders, the rest is done manually via the GUI it brings you.
So your statement is completetly false and a bit ignorant, sorry to tell you that this way.

MalwareFire

Level 3
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
... Nope.
Advanced System Care actually bloats your system even more by installing a bunch of useless application with useless features and CCleaner only clean your temp files and folders, the rest is done manually via the GUI it brings you.
So your statement is completetly false and a bit ignorant, sorry to tell you that this way.
I see very foruns say registry cleaners arent safe but i naver have one problem with this 2 cleaners

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Just wait and eventually it will come. You might already have problems but didn't notice them yet.
Most if the reg cleaners today like ASC or others dosnt harm ur os. They are well testet before. maybe they can harm some programs but u can easly reinstall it than. sometimes, a reg cleaner can be realy helpful. this statement reg cleaners are harmful for ur os are outdated.

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Most if the reg cleaners today like ASC or others dosnt harm ur os. They are well testet before. maybe they can harm some programs but u can easly reinstall it than. sometimes, a reg cleaner can be realy helpful. this statement reg cleaners are harmful for ur os are outdated.

I think a better phrase would be "Registry cleaners can be harmful". Because in some circumstances they can remove registry keys which can break the functionality of a program. Although in the same way, HijackThis can be harmful as it can also completely wreck your computer if you tick everything listed without a second thought and press "Fix" (which should really be renamed "Pray For My PC")...

Reactions: Striker

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Since I'm here, I heard a lot of people complaining that reg cleaners "broke" their systems... In more then 10 years of my experience I never encounter situation where reg cleaner broke the system I had maintained. I have used CCleaner, Auslogics, Wise365 and TuneUp in the past. Maybe because I always watch to install one program for one task. No incompatibilities, no 3 media players to race which will take the association of the mp4 file (you got the point).
It's true, Reg Cleaner cannot improve the speed of your computer...directly. But a good reg cleaner can remove some obsolete reg keys and more important keys that were associated to some settings within a program (that was uninstalled) and keeps giving headaches to the new program that needs to be installed. And similar scenarios...

Reactions: Prorootect

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Since I'm here, I heard a lot of people complaining that reg cleaners "broke" their systems... In more then 10 years of my experience I never encounter situation where reg cleaner broke the system I had maintained. I have used CCleaner, Auslogics, Wise365 and TuneUp in the past. Maybe because I always watch to install one program for one task. No incompatibilities, no 3 media players to race which will take the association of the mp4 file (you got the point).
It's true, Reg Cleaner cannot improve the speed of your computer...directly. But a good reg cleaner can remove some obsolete reg keys and more important keys that were associated to some settings within a program (that was uninstalled) and keeps giving headaches to the new program that needs to be installed. And similar scenarios...

Same for me too....Those who've got an their PC's broke might have already been using other 'Speed up your PC' techniques that have already made their systems unstable.

But Bottomline, when you are ready to use registry cleaners, some points you've to consider:

1] The users willingness and ability to understand the implications of everything involved and execute the process.
2] The system in question does not already contain errors that the automated algorithms of a cleaning program will not be programmed for, thus leading to the potential for worse instead of better.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
The only weakness that I have noticed in CCleaner's registry cleaning tool is the association of files: the unused file extension, especially association from portable apps. However, they are portable apps, so associations are no big deal.

I often only use these two: Application paths and invalid firewall reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.