Decided To Upgrade. Which would be the best SSD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I recently borrowed one of my colleagues SSD to try in my Laptop PC. I have genuine Windows 8 which came along with my PC and I have made its recovery drive for the recovery process. I tried to install my OS to SSD, but in the final stage it doesn't complete and says Restoration Incomplete. The SSD is Micron Real SSD C300. After this incident i'm afraid to go for an SSD since it was a failure to take my OS. I have still being investigating over SSD's. I would like to go with Samsung EVO 850 120 GB, but its too expensive for my budget. What would your opinion over Kingston and Sandisk ?
Sandisk is little faster, but you wouldn't notice the real difference. Both are good.
About the restoration, the best way is to extract if you don't have Windows 8 key and install fresh Windows 8 on SSD. There are programs that can do a restoration on different hardware but this way is the best

Reactions: Venustus

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Sandisk is little faster, but you wouldn't notice the real difference. Both are good.
About the restoration, the best way is to extract if you don't have Windows 8 key and install fresh Windows 8 on SSD. There are programs that can do a restoration on different hardware but this way is the best
Mine is an OEM. How to extract and install it into SSD? Since I have created a set of recovery drives on DVD's I cannot make another copy from the HP Recovery Partition.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Kingston seems to be good a very good choice but i can't tell you anything about it's performance since i don't know anybody who has install Kingston SSD. Sorry about that:(
But i have read some reviews and it seems to be a good product;)

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
My PC came with windows 8, should I download windows 8 or 8.1? I tried Installing Windows 8, and it shows this error.
f9MY750.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Purshu_Pro : Since retail version is design to install more than 5 motherboards therefore the OEM based key is strictly prohibited to gather ISO of Windows 8/8.1 per policy of Microsoft.

Reactions: Kuttz and Venustus

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
My PC came with windows 8, should I download windows 8 or 8.1? I tried Installing Windows 8, and it shows this error.
f9MY750.png
You need to find a clean OEM version ISO of Windows 8. Did you try downloading it from here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

using your key. If it doesn't work you will have a few options :
  • Upgrading your Windows to 8.1 via Store and try again
  • Finding a clean OEM Windows 8 ISO on the net
  • or Migrating your OS from HDD=>SSD, which could be complicated on laptops since they can carry only one drive inside, so you need to buy or borrow a HDD external bracket and try some of Migration Wizards like you have in EASEUS Partition Master, Minitool, AOMEI...

Smoke

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2014
I would go with the Kingston HyperX 3K or Samsung 850 Pro/EVO. I personally have the 840 EVO in my PC at the moment (850's weren't released when I bought it) and it's great.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
@BoraMurdar thanks for the remainder. I had actually forgotten about my windows 8.1 created media. I tested it myself with another 320 GB HDD and it worked. Windows 8.1 was installed on the new 320 GB HDD and its activated. Earlier when I tried to install the same image to one of my customer's PC, it used to ask for a key. Now I came to know that since I have a OEM copy, its only compatible for my PC and I dont have to enter any key. Its just required to activate when Internet is connected. Now I can confidently purchase an SSD. ;)

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
WARNING
Using a computer with an SSD will cause any computer you use without one to be utterly insufferable.
You'll swear there was something seriously broken in any computer still using a platter drive.
WARNING
I like Mushkin for drives and RAM..fast and inexpensive and their support is in Denver. I don't recommend getting less than ~240GB unless you really don't have much installed. Read reviews on NewEgg, Amazon for any product you're considering.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I have 250GB 840 EVO for year and a half and it still works perfect. Next one will definitely be one from 850 series.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Was planning to go with 250 GB too, but shortage of money..:(, so was depended on @Huracan comment and decided to go with this. So how is the speed of ssd's compared to our older traditional HDD(s)?

M

MalwareT

I'm also thinking to buy new SSD instead of spending money on 1TB hard drive. Anyway considering that in my country SSDs are expensive as hell so which one do you recommend that is not expensive a lot ?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hmmm I cant wait to see the changes to my PC. I guess I will make it brand new again, I'm so excited to recieve it and use it over my pc..

Reactions: Enju
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.