Advice Request Defender Email Scanning Enable or Disable ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Enable WD Email Scanning ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Quick question,
I was tinkering in Group Policy and noticed in Defender the option to have Defender scan emails.
I use Outlook so I enabled it.
I had no idea this was even an option with defender and MS does not make it obvious, that got me thinking that maybe MS thinks this should be off.
I am interested in the communities thoughts on this.
Should I turn it back off like I found it or leave it on.
Have any of you used this feature, and if so what was your experience ?
As always thanks for your input.
PeAcE

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Dirk41
In Win10 Pro edition or higher, do the following:

Open "run"
Type gpedit.msc

Once inside Group Policy Editor navigate to the following:
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender/Scan
For me on Win10 x64 Pro, it's the 9th option in the list from the top counting down. "Click on e-mail scanning"
Set the option to "Enabled" click "Apply" on the lower right side, then OK.
Remember after most Group Policy changes a reboot is required for changes to take effect
even if windows does not ask for one.
PeAcE

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk41 and frogboy

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Thank you yes i have w10 pro and 8.1 pro. I'll let you know if the option is available in 8.1 too.

Anyway which email it scans? Only outlook? I don't use outlook , but I use the metro app called " mail " ( I think , I am translating from Italian )

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Guys!( I found it . It's the second in Italian ) but more important there are plenty of other options that may be turned on!

euristic analysis
"zip" (i am trying to transalte" files
and so on

Last edited:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am interested in the communities thoughts on this.
Should I turn it back off like I found it or leave it on.
Take a read: Update and manage Windows Defender in Windows 10 (Windows 10)

It explains Group Policy and the Email Scanning for WD in W10.

You can use Windows Defender to scan email files. Malware can install itself and hide in email files, and although real-time protection offers you the best protection from email malware, you can also scan emails stored on your PC or server with Windows Defender.

Important
Mail scanning only applies to on-demand and scheduled scans, not on-access scans.

Windows Defender scans Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 and older email files. We identify the file type at run-time based on the content of the file, not on location or extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.