New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017

When Windows 11 was leaked, I was hoping we would see a usable Defender UI, but unfortunately it had not changed a bit. Defender is great under the hood but it is incredibly frustrating to use. It is also certainly not bulletproof and Redmond’s idea of zero trust is much different from mine, but at least it is something to work from.

So I decided to build a fully functional Defender UI. Here are some preliminary screenshots, a beta version will be really in a week or two.

Attachments

• Home.PNG
    Home.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,111
  • Home.PNG
    Home.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,953
  • Basic.PNG
    Basic.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,805
  • Advanced.PNG
    Advanced.PNG
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,022

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Really beautifully and elegantly done! It certainly has enough options.

The only thing I would add is a "Prevent Malware From Ever Infecting This System" button (with the default setting of OFF so Folk Like Me can have few giggles).

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Really beautifully and elegantly done! It certainly has enough options.

The only thing I would add is a "Prevent Malware From Ever Infecting This System" button (with the default setting of OFF so Folk Like Me can have few giggles).
Thank you CS, I appreciate that!

Your wish is my command ;).

CS.PNG

And here is what it does...

CS2.PNG

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I'm certainly not a fan of Windows Defender, but the effort you put into implementing a tool to control program settings deserves credit. Thanks.
Yeah, most people feel strongly one way or the other about Defender. I actually like it pretty well, but it is impossible to use and manage. Hopefully DUI will change that ;).

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Really nice looking, maybe you could also include a dashboard about which part is on or off? Such as fireball: on/off, then something to click so u can see the details?
Thank you! I am not exactly sure what you mean. The toggle buttons you see indicate if a feature is on or off. There will certainly be all of the necessary details, but if I forget any that we need, please let me know!

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Something i see as an important change to the handling of Microsoft Defender is when it blocks/quarantines downloaded files, that can be way easier. Now it is quite cumbersome.

And of course, all in one place with a good overview is a success compared to now.
I agree. The difficulty with Defender is the complexity of post-processing.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Something i see as an important change to the handling of Microsoft Defender is when it blocks/quarantines downloaded files, that can be way easier. Now it is quite cumbersome.

And of course, all in one place with a good overview is a success compared to now.
Yeah, exactly, there are many frustrating features in Defender, and the goal of DUI is to solve all of these.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.