New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb :

Do you have any idea when you will start working on the new GUI for Voodooshield?
I have already started working on the new VS UI, and actually I am already finished with the difficult part of replacing all of the check boxes with toggle buttons (which was the part I was dreading). So now I pretty much just need to change all of the colors, adjust the fonts and scaling, and move a few things around and we should be good to go. If everything goes right it should be ready in about a week, possibly sooner.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
The swedish language is quite good but there are some grammatic twists that we would not do in first hand, besides the words that still are in english. So there is room for improvement.

I volunteer to do that.
Sounds great, I can send you an Excel file with all of the words / sentences. Do you want me to email or dm it to you? Thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
It's a decent translation to romanian language. I have just a little observation.
In the language menu, must be română not românesc. It can also be nivelul de protecție cloud not a norului, because the word nor may have another meaning!
Thank you!
Sounds great, thank you for the suggestions! Should I send you all of the words / sentences so you can adjust all of them, or is making these two changes sufficient?

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Nice to see a Dutch translation.
You did an amazing work with this new version (y)

There are some small problems like text cutoff:

View attachment 260857View attachment 260858

With the ASR Rules there are IMO better translations:
ON = Aan
Disabled = Uit
Audit = Audit
Warn = Waarschuwen ( text is cut off )

Any Dutchie here with a better/shorter translation for Warn? Alert?
Thank you, hopefully the changes I made in 0.86 work well, if not please let me know. And if you want to fine tune the Dutch translation please let me know!

Stelica

Level 2
Sep 27, 2021
Sounds great, thank you for the suggestions! Should I send you all of the words / sentences so you can adjust all of them, or is making these two changes sufficient?
If you make these two changes it is good. Also it will be better to change the words dosare with fișiere and probelor with eșantioanelor in Basic and Tamper protection with Protecție împotriva alterării in Home. Thank you!

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thank you, hopefully the changes I made in 0.86 work well, if not please let me know. And if you want to fine tune the Dutch translation please let me know!
It is already much better in 0.86 (y)
Unfortunately, I don't have that much free time currently, so I will skip fine tuning the Dutch translation for now.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey guys,

Here is the latest. There were just a few very minor verbiage fixes and some of the languages were refined.

BTW, I started working on the new VS gui, but then had a random idea about what I was going to do for DefenderUI Pro, which includes blocking scripts, LOLBins, suspicious processes, etc. I did not want to forget the idea, so I worked on that all week and it really turned out cool. It is kind of a hybrid between deny-by-default and allow-by-default, or to put it another way, AutoPilot on steroids that is even more user-friendly. DefenderUI Pro is probably not going to contain a list of specific rules that the user can adjust, simply because users do not get to choose what malware attacks they are going to experience. Ultimately, the goal is to combine Microsoft Defender's capabilities with the DefenderUI features, to create something that is between an allow-by-default and a true deny-by-default.

DefenderUI 0.88
SHA-256: 9d5ea69352043aee2fc41569b6b7fadea3281628237a2c539142d3e75e5f4928

BTW, there was a mix up on the download version earlier today, I am not sure what happened but should be fixed now. But if for some reason the hash for 0.88 does not match the above hash, please let me know.

Thank you guys!

Stelica

Level 2
Sep 27, 2021
Hey guys,

Here is the latest. There were just a few very minor verbiage fixes and some of the languages were refined.

BTW, I started working on the new VS gui, but then had a random idea about what I was going to do for DefenderUI Pro, which includes blocking scripts, LOLBins, suspicious processes, etc. I did not want to forget the idea, so I worked on that all week and it really turned out cool. It is kind of a hybrid between deny-by-default and allow-by-default, or to put it another way, AutoPilot on steroids that is even more user-friendly. DefenderUI Pro is probably not going to contain a list of specific rules that the user can adjust, simply because users do not get to choose what malware attacks they are going to experience. Ultimately, the goal is to combine Microsoft Defender's capabilities with the DefenderUI features, to create something that is between an allow-by-default and a true deny-by-default.

DefenderUI 0.88

BTW, there was a mix up on the download version earlier today, I am not sure what happened but should be fixed now. But if for some reason the hash for 0.88 does not match the above hash, please let me know.

Thank you guys!
Thank you very much for the changes made for the romanian language!
But I noticed a small problem. After restarting, the word română in the languages menu returns to word românesc. If possible in a future version replace the Tamper protection with Protecție împotriva alterării.
Thank you for your great software!

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Hey guys,

DefenderUI 0.88

Thank you guys!
So DefenderUI free will not include blocking scripts, LOLBins, suspicious processes, firewall hardening and etc...?
What are the differencies of Pro and free?

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Thank you very much for the changes made for the romanian language!
But I noticed a small problem. After restarting, the word română in the languages menu returns to word românesc. If possible in a future version replace the Tamper protection with Protecție împotriva alterării.
Thank you for your great software!
Oops, my bad, it is fixed now ;). It is fixed in DefenderUIPro 0.90 and will also be included in the next DefenderUI Free release. Thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
So DefenderUI free will not include blocking scripts, LOLBins, suspicious processes, firewall hardening and etc...?
What are the differencies of Pro and free?
I have not figured out all of the differences yet, but I am going to post the first DefenderUI Pro Version now, so that will give everyone some idea. The main differences are the dynamic security postures and contextual engine, but there will be others as well. Thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hello,
I installed the latest version VS free and desktop shortcut does not work! I have it in AutoPilot mode. The tray icon is working.
Yeah, I never made the VS desktop shortcut start VS because I figured the VS desktop gadget or tray icon was visible ;). We can change this if needed though.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey Guys,

Here is the first DefenderUI Pro version. DefenderUI Pro is not going to be compatible with VS since they offer a lot of the same protections. So if you prefer slightly more robust protection, you can run VS and DefenderUI Free.

Although ultimately (assuming things work out as planned), both DefenderUI and VS will have the same Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit Contextual Engine, which is the main new feature I have been working on. It is similar to the VS anti-exploit mechanism, but utilizes a lot less code and should reduce unwanted blocks even further, while maintaining an even more robust security posture.

When I first created the original VS anti-exploit mechanism while I was on wilders, CET told me that one of our competitors told him it was not possible. Obviously it is possible since many products have adopted that tech now ;).

Wow, that was a long time ago… VoodooShield ?

But this new Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit Contextual Engine tech is on an entirely different level, and it looks like it is going to work out extremely well. It might take a month or so to fine tune everything, but I think was are in amazing shape, and fine tuning will be super easy.

And actually, I have to admit, the first couple days of working on this new feature was so incredibly difficult and mind boggling, I almost gave up, thinking it was not possible. And really, the whole idea behind this new feature is that context means EVERYTHING in cybersecurity. For example, some people think that not knowing the parent process in an attack chain does not matter. Trust me, it does, and this is just one example.

You will find the new Pro features on the DefenderGuard tab, and they are active but not user adjustable yet, but they will be soon. I tried to keep the new options as simple as possible, for example, the Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit Contextual Engine option also handles scripts, LOLBins, etc.

I promise you. Mark my words. The two most significant keys to solving cybersecurity are contextual engines and dynamic security postures.

Please let me know if you experience any unwanted blocks or are able to figure out a bypass. All of the blocks will be logged on our server, so that will help me to refine the contextual engine rules even more.

DefenderUI 0.90 beta
SHA-256: 62de4d2467259ce9451c145956ac7875f830c40f4279469c1e0f6f4fa831f219

Thank you guys!

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.