New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
It must be something related with defender guard because it was working before and ASR have exactly the same settings, resetting the whitelist doesn't help either.
DefenderUI is already in interactive mode.
I am not sure what it is yet, I have been trying to guess what is causing this but so far no luck. Please send me a list of XBox games I can use to test and I will fix this asap.

Reactions: Stelica and Nevi

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb I got a few blocks today and I allowed them.
I know that you are logging them so no need to post them.
I hope you can solve most soon.
Very cool, thank you, we are getting close. The 0.95 version only includes a few unwanted block fixes, mainly because there are not all that many.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
DefenderUIPro 0.94 beta, with enabled 'Dynamic Security Postures'. Here works flawlessly so far since yesterday (y)
Reset the whitelist first was done by me, I had to allow manually a few portable tools only like Autoruns, ProcessExplorer, etc.
That's great to hear! Most users should leave Dynamic Security Postures disabled for a couple of days, then enable it once DefenderUI learns your system. If user do this, then they will not even experience Autoruns or ProcessExplorer blocks ;).

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
An other block appears when I want to clean temporary files - dismhost.exe. I had to allow it. (Dynamic Security Posture enabled)
Information - dismhost.exe executes as a process with the local user's privileges typically within the context of its parent cleanmgr.exe.
Thank you, I am working on this as well.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey guys,

I finally had a chance to catch up on the posts. Sorry I was so brief in my responses, and please let me know if I missed anything.

Here is the latest version, there are 2 main new features. There is a Windows right click context menu item for DefenderUI Scan and DefenderUI Add Exclusion, so you can scan or add exclusions from anywhere on the device.

BTW, when you add an exclusion, this also excludes DefenderUI Pro from monitoring these files / folders! In other words, any exclusion that is created for MD is also automatically created for DefenderUI Pro, so it will not block or scan the files or folders you want to exclude!

DefenderUIPro 0.95 beta
SHA-256: 3c8ef98b863834aad7d889bf3bf32ecc9bbf92f1422fbc7e259ec86332781e6d

Thank you guys!

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
FYI after 0.95 over the top installation, screenshots attached. Installation windows got stuck, ended with taskmanager with no adverse effect on DUI.
All seems to be working fine, new features too. Just a glitch probably.

Thanks Dan.

0.95.png
DUI 0.94 old.png

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
FYI after 0.95 over the top installation, screenshots attached. Installation windows got stuck, ended with taskmanager with no adverse effect on DUI.
All seems to be working fine, new features too. Just a glitch probably.

Thanks Dan.

View attachment 261466View attachment 261467
Yeah, that must be a fluke... I have installed on several machines MANY times with no problems at all. That, and nothing changed with the installer that could have caused this. Either way, thank you for letting me know.

I almost forgot about DefenderUI Free, this should be its public release. Please let me know if there are any issues.

DefenderUI 1.00 (This is the Free version, not the Pro version above!!!)
SHA-256: c694e776f062b412c89d87be3c751a3f289b58a97578bc1435509efc8d540c3c

l0rdraiden

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I am not sure what it is yet, I have been trying to guess what is causing this but so far no luck. Please send me a list of XBox games I can use to test and I will fix this asap.
I have 2 games installed and happens with both, probably is something related with how xbox launch games. Black 4 Blood and the other I don't recall the name, I unistalled and I didn't play at all.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Very cool, thank you, we are getting close. The 0.95 version only includes a few unwanted block fixes, mainly because there are not all that many.
Installed the latest version 0.95 beta.
Till now only one block of teams.exe.
Will let you know how it goes on Monday when I really use my laptop for work.
When I work, I have Edge, Outlook and Teams open all the time, that can maybe explain some of the blocks.

Do you recommend leaving the Windows Security notification icon to startup automatically or is it not needed anymore with DefenderUI (Pro)?

Stelica

Level 2
Sep 27, 2021
After I installed 0.95 beta, only block is HiBit Uninstaller. But it is understandable. It is a software from Iran and the site is on http. Thank you!

I don't want to be understood that I said Iran in a deprecatory sense. I have never disregarded software from Russia, China, Iran, Vietnam etc.
HiBit has very good softwares!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Installed the latest version 0.95 beta.
Till now only one block of teams.exe.
Will let you know how it goes on Monday when I really use my laptop for work.
When I work, I have Edge, Outlook and Teams open all the time, that can maybe explain some of the blocks.

Do you recommend leaving the Windows Security notification icon to startup automatically or is it not needed anymore with DefenderUI (Pro)?
Sounds great, thank you. Either way is cool with the icons. It is a little redundant, but I have both on my main machine.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey guys, here is the latest...

I think we are at the point with the blocks that it will be easier for you guys to report any unwanted blocks. The logging of the blocks worked great, but we are at a point where it is hard to tell if something really should have been blocked or not... for example, if someone was testing or something. So if you guys could take a screenshot of the full user prompt (after clicking More Info), and either email it to me or post it, that would be really cool.

This version includes the DefenderUI real-time protection toggle button. It is kind of combined with the MD real-time protection, it is difficult to explain, but you should see quickly how it works. We might want to tweak it a little, like for example we might want to move the DefenderUI real-time protection toggle button to the bottom panel of the Home screen, or even move it right below the MD real-time protection toggle button. The toggle button is combined with the right click tray icon menu Real-time option. We could have added another item to that menu, but I think you guys will like it the way it is, but I guess we will see. Once you guys try it, please let me know what suggestions you have.

DefenderUIPro 0.96 beta
SHA-256: 6de9b4a39864c470f0866a2d8b61c13c7b571d4c3d9204cf14c22540455ecd5d

Thank you guys!

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I've been following thread with interest and have decided to try Defender again now that DefenderUI gives it a much more user friendly interface. At the moment I'm running the Free version alongside Andy Ful's Simple Windows Hardening + Firewall Hardening but the Pro Beta appears to be getting pretty close to making these additional tools unnecessary? Is that correct?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I've been following thread with interest and have decided to try Defender again now that DefenderUI gives it a much more user friendly interface. At the moment I'm running the Free version alongside Andy Ful's Simple Windows Hardening + Firewall Hardening but the Pro Beta appears to be getting pretty close to making these additional tools unnecessary? Is that correct?

AFAIK, DefenderUI Pro doesn't add block rules for known 'LOLBins' into Windows Firewall, so at least for me it's still worth to use Firewall Hardening by @Andy Ful

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I think we are at the point with the blocks that it will be easier for you guys to report any unwanted blocks.
For clarity... what is a block? I get permissions requests frequently for many apps... Is that a block? Or is a block an auto-rejection? FWIW< I'm on Recommended profile... should I be using Interactive?

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Seen this post on Ghacks today. 👏
Very cool, thank you for letting us know!

Can you guys please vote toward the bottom of the page? (just your honest vote of course)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.