New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I've been following thread with interest and have decided to try Defender again now that DefenderUI gives it a much more user friendly interface. At the moment I'm running the Free version alongside Andy Ful's Simple Windows Hardening + Firewall Hardening but the Pro Beta appears to be getting pretty close to making these additional tools unnecessary? Is that correct?
@silversurfer answered this already (thank you SS). We have not yet implemented Firewall hardening but will do so at some point, thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
For clarity... what is a block? I get permissions requests frequently for many apps... Is that a block? Or is a block an auto-rejection? FWIW< I'm on Recommended profile... should I be using Interactive?
The Profile should not really matter too much on the blocks, so you can use whatever you like. I am currently using the Recommended profile.

The unwanted blocks are kind of subjective, and they also depend on if Dynamic Security Postures are enabled or not. So I guess the criteria would be if you experience a block that is kind of unexpected, then it would be good to report the block. There will be a few blocks after installing DefenderUI Pro (or resetting the whitelist), but only a handful at most. For example, whenever I reset my whitelist, I have to allow a FF plugin and also a Visual Studio component. So yeah, if there is a block you guys think we can avoid, please let me know, thank you!

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
DefenderUI: manage Microsoft Defender with this profile-based third-party app - gHacks Tech News
Closing Words

DefenderUI is a useful program for Windows 10 and 11 devices, as it improves the configuration of Microsoft Defender. The program could use additional tooltips that explain functions to users, and an option to import and export custom profiles.

How does it stack up against ConfigureDefender? ConfigureDefender offers similar options, and a profile-based approach as well. The program has matured over the years. The interface displays all options on a single page, which may be more intimidating but it is better for keeping an overview of settings.

Both programs offer access to Microsoft Defender settings and features that are otherwise not accessible via the Settings application.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
what do you think of these comments on ghacks?

1635361923852.png

You see people bashing any software on ghacks, i dont really care about of them since most of them are just spam/ negative anyways

How i see this thread going, is that dan is working out with this project, fixing blockings & solving errors in real time as one man show

Meanwhile zemana ( not to bash them) they could not fix single false positive during spending like half year on the mt, same fps exist still today

Last edited by a moderator:

l0rdraiden

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Yeah, that must be a fluke... I have installed on several machines MANY times with no problems at all. That, and nothing changed with the installer that could have caused this. Either way, thank you for letting me know.

I almost forgot about DefenderUI Free, this should be its public release. Please let me know if there are any issues.

DefenderUI 1.00 (This is the Free version, not the Pro version above!!!)
SHA-256: c694e776f062b412c89d87be3c751a3f289b58a97578bc1435509efc8d540c3c
Link broken

Stelica

Level 2
Sep 27, 2021
Hi,
I noticed a lot of disk activity most of the time when I used DefenderUI Pro. Now I use DefenderUI free and VoodooShield free. I don't know what is the cause. I have Windows 10 Pro 21H1, 8 GB RAM and I have no other security solutions installed, only Microsoft Defender. I'm happy with the free trio - DUI free, VS free and Sandboxie!

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I temporarily uninstalled VS and tried to use DUI-Pro, but I felt that the slowdown occurred noticeably, so I returned to the combination of Free VS and DUI.
Recently, it has started to be introduced on Japanese sites, and the explanations on those sites about the functions of each specific item are very helpful.

I helped with the translation, but I still don't have a deep understanding of the functionality.;):coffee:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I liked the simplicity on 2 PCs with Home and Pro Windows installed. Added File hash and low priority and scanning(foreground/background) doesn't gets affected just like MSE, Mind you its not noticeable on Pentium 2020M and on 6700HQ its almost <5% CPU usage with quick scan and super fast under 30s which seems to me that file hash feature speeds up by skipped already safe known hashed files.
Some of the ASR rules can be highlighted by asterisk or double asterisks just like ConfigureDefender 3.0 beta2. My muscle memory was disabling few ASR rules and had to double check if I'm disabling anything unusual after taking a look at ConfigureDefender 3 beta2. Thank you @Andy Ful and @danb

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
The new DefenderUI Pro features are Windows hardening features that block scripts, LOLBins, vulnerable processes, etc. The goal is to create a holistic engine that blocks all of these items, and to not block what should not be blocked as much as possible. As I was saying, a lot of hardening tools exclude a lot of file types because it creates too many unnecessary blocks. In addition, DefenderUI Pro also monitors executable files.

So it is kind of like a light anti-executable with anti-exploit, script, LOLBin and vulnerable process capabilities.
So one would not need a tool like Hard Configurator running along side this program, correct?

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
what do you think of these comments on ghacks?

View attachment 261543

You see people bashing any software on ghacks, i dont really care about of them since most of them are just spam/ negative anyways

How i see this thread going, is that dan is working out with this project, fixing blockings & solving errors in real time as one man show

Meanwhile zemana ( not to bash them) they could not fix single false positive during spending like half year on the mt, same fps exist still today
I'm sure it is the same small group of trolls who have been harassing VS for years. If their only joy in life is being a troll, I am not going to try to take that away from them, I will just feel sorry for them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.