New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hi,
I noticed a lot of disk activity most of the time when I used DefenderUI Pro. Now I use DefenderUI free and VoodooShield free. I don't know what is the cause. I have Windows 10 Pro 21H1, 8 GB RAM and I have no other security solutions installed, only Microsoft Defender. I'm happy with the free trio - DUI free, VS free and Sandboxie!
Sounds great, thank you for letting me know. The high disk activity is probably related to the slow down that a few people are experiencing. I have been trying to figure out what might be causing this issue, and there are only a few things that could be causing this, so it should be pretty simple to fix.

While I try to figure out what is causing this, if there is any other info you guys can give me on this issue, or if you can explain the slow downs you are experiencing a little better, I would really appreciate it, thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb The "Privacy" and "Terms" links on defenderui.com are still placeholders it seems. They link to voodooshield.
After the fun comments on g-hacks I had to check for the license stuff someone mentioned :D
Yeah, at some point DefenderUI.com will have its own Privacy and Terms, I just have been focused on other things.

Our Privacy Policy is a standard policy with standard legalese. If all they have to complain about is our Privacy Policy, then it must mean that they have not yet found anything in the software to complain about. Which is a great thing ;).

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I temporarily uninstalled VS and tried to use DUI-Pro, but I felt that the slowdown occurred noticeably, so I returned to the combination of Free VS and DUI.
Recently, it has started to be introduced on Japanese sites, and the explanations on those sites about the functions of each specific item are very helpful.

I helped with the translation, but I still don't have a deep understanding of the functionality.;):coffee:
Thanks again for all of your help! I hope to have a new version of DefenderUI Pro for you to try soon.

In the meantime, if there is any way to describe the slowdown more precisely, please let me know, it will really help. I think I am close to figuring it out.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I liked the simplicity on 2 PCs with Home and Pro Windows installed. Added File hash and low priority and scanning(foreground/background) doesn't gets affected just like MSE, Mind you its not noticeable on Pentium 2020M and on 6700HQ its almost <5% CPU usage with quick scan and super fast under 30s which seems to me that file hash feature speeds up by skipped already safe known hashed files.
Some of the ASR rules can be highlighted by asterisk or double asterisks just like ConfigureDefender 3.0 beta2. My muscle memory was disabling few ASR rules and had to double check if I'm disabling anything unusual after taking a look at ConfigureDefender 3 beta2. Thank you @Andy Ful and @danb
Sounds great, thank you! BTW, if something does not jive between CD and DefenderUI as you switch between them, please let me know. I want to make it as easy as possible to switch between the two.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
So one would not need a tool like Hard Configurator running along side this program, correct?
Please see Gandalf_The_Grey's answer (thank you Gandalf!).

Although I personally do not really view any product as a replacement for any other product. The goal is to build many different products so that users can figure out what combo works best for them.

For example, DefenderUI Pro is not intended to be a replacement for VS. DefenderUI Pro is basically a lite (but still robust) version of VS. For a couple of years a few people have labeled VS as overkill... so I decided to build a lite version of VS (DefenderUI Pro) that would be difficult to describe as overkill. DefenderUI Pro's new Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit contextual engine really is the best of all / both worlds, and once it is completely finalized, will be implemented into VS. It is far enough along in development that it can easily be used by anyone, except we still need to figure out what is causing the slowdown that a few users are experiencing. Thank you!

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Sounds great, thank you! BTW, if something does not jive between CD and DefenderUI as you switch between them, please let me know. I want to make it as easy as possible to switch between the two.
I reverted all settings in CD to defaults.
There are some ASR rules like WMI, lsas etc which can be added to i icon/placeholder (info section in UI)

Stelica

Level 2
Sep 27, 2021
Hi,
I found the culprit. I apologize. For me the problem was produced by the latest version of Sandboxie and not DefenderUI Pro. I went back to the previous version of sandboxie and I have no slowdown. I discovered this problem when I saw in the event viewer an error caused by Sandboxie. Thank you!

Stelica

Level 2
Sep 27, 2021
And yet I still have a slowdown with the DefenderUI Pro. I thought it was sandboxie but it was an event viewer error log only not a crash. If I uninstall DefenderUI Pro and install the DefenderUI free with VoodooShield free there are no system slowdowns.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Just curious if anyone else is having update issues with Windows Security...

wlKtotZ.png

pzMhFNE.png

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
And yet I still have a slowdown with the DefenderUI Pro. I thought it was sandboxie but it was an event viewer error log only not a crash. If I uninstall DefenderUI Pro and install the DefenderUI free with VoodooShield free there are no system slowdowns.
Thank you for letting me know. Can you please describe the slowdown in more detail, it will really help a lot.

Reactions: Nevi

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Just curious if anyone else is having update issues with Windows Security...

wlKtotZ.png

pzMhFNE.png
Hey guys, this happened to me as well today, it appears to be a Microsoft issue that they will be fixing soon, here are more details...

Having said that, while working on this issue I discovered a new rule that needed to be added to DefenderUI Pro, and it will be included in the next version. I am just waiting to hear what the slowdown is all about so I can try a couple of things with the new version as well. Thank you!

Stelica

Level 2
Sep 27, 2021
Hi,
Most of the time high disk activity and delayed reaction of the system. But what I find interesting is that in the previous version 0.95 I had several blocks but I did not have slowdown. Thank you!

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hi,
Most of the time high disk activity and delayed reaction of the system. But what I find interesting is that in the previous version 0.95 I had several blocks but I did not have slowdown. Thank you!
Very cool, thank you for letting me know, I think this version will fix the slowdown issue...

DefenderUIPro 0.97 beta
SHA-256: bd976dd364dbfd48135dbfa532bab5f7ef786da9cd2b245239d5f5e8a324cb0b

There might be a couple extra child process blocks for now, but this will give us something to work from. This version also includes the new rule that I mentioned earlier. Thank you!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.