Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
same
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
took out battery
reset ram
Then replaced ram with ran I know works...did not fix it
I have a dell win 7 laptop that just beeps and will not turn on. I tried replacing the ram with good ram that did not work.
The beeping does not have a pattern it just keeps beeping if it is turned on. No bios screen comes up.

I am not sure what else to check for ..or if there is a way to fix this

thanks for any help

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Have you try to connect via AC with battery remove? Check if its working

When its all the sudden occur the issue? Seems it can be an hardware issue like broken power jack.

A common problem which causes that is a broken power jack - you can check for that by wiggling the power cord where it goes into the laptop - if it seems loose or you see the battery charge light intermittently, that's likely the problem. There are companies that specialize in that repair (it's that common) for a fairly reasonable fee or, if you are adept at soldering it can be a DIY thing
That isn't the only possibility but it's common enough for your symptoms that it should be checked

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1784163/laptop-turn-dell-inspiron-1545.html

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I did try to turn in on without the battery in it and no luck.
It just occured over night I went to turn it on and it just beeps
I could even try with a different power adapter because I had an extra one for
a dell . That did not work either
and I tried with wiggling the power jack but that didnt seem to do any thing
But you were right about one thing the battery power light does not come on

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
sounds like a ram problem or other hardware ralatated issue
yes it did to me too..but it isnt the ram I tested with other good ram and it has the same issue

Have you try to connect via AC with battery remove? Check if its working

When its all the sudden occur the issue? Seems it can be an hardware issue like broken power jack.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1784163/laptop-turn-dell-inspiron-1545.html
So now I am wondering if it isn't related to the laptop just not charging up because the power jack isnt working for some reason.. since the light in the front of the computer doesnt even light up when I plug in the power cable and turn the computer on

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I suggest you to follow the steps provided below, first to release any static power in the laptop that may be causing this issue:

1. Remove the battery and the AC Adapter from the laptop.
2. Press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds and release it.
3. Reconnect the battery, AC Adapter and press the Power button.
4. The laptop should power on if the static charge was the cause.

Try other information here (suggest to seek more help on their Dell Community regarding to your problem): http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19495705?pi239031352=1

Reactions: donetao
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would try to see if there is some type of pattern to the beeping.Sometimes the charging jack on the Laptop from repeated use will loosen inside where it is connected(soldered) to the jack.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Yes I thought so too...but the beeps never stop and about every 3 seconds I get on short beep
Here is a list of error codes, see if you can match what you are hearing..
e2qWVxm.png

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Try other information here (suggest to seek more help on their Dell Community regarding to your problem): http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19495705?pi239031352=1
jamescv7 I did try what you said with discharging the static and ...it worked ...for one start up. Now it is right back to doing what it did before ....beeping

When a Dell beeps at you, it is a code, what is the duration of the beeps, the pauses in between ect..
I really appreciate you sending the beep codes but I cant match it because it is a single short beep that just never quits.

thank for the codes

Reactions: DannyLove187
Upvote 0
I

illumination

I really appreciate you sending the beep codes but I cant match it because it is a single short beep that just never quits.

thank for the codes
One single short beep usually means "DRAM refresh failure" you can try unplugging the unit, and remove the battery for about 10 seconds, if this does not help, then upon booting try to run a memory diagnostic..

RIYfoWF.png

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Well since it won't boot I can't try that . I did try to boot up with the fn key held down but won't go to diagnostics

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Well since it won't boot I can't try that . I did try to boot up with the fn key held down but won't go to diagnostics
try removing the power cord, remove the battery and and depress the power button, holding it down for 30 seconds to disperse all internal electricty, then put the battery in and plug in the power cord.. When you get it start again, try the diagnostic posted above..

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! You could try booting with a Linux CD. I like Puppy Love. Linux doesn't need a working HD. It boots from RAM. If it will boot into Linux and run, then there's a good change your HD could be going bad!! You could also use a live CD called Hiren's Boot CD.
Here's link explaining how to use Puppy Love Linux!!
https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html
There are a lot of live CD's that you can boot with. You can use seagate dos, which is a live CD that will boot and test your HD.
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en
You can use memtest86+ to boot and test your RAM. Also a live CD!
http://www.memtest.org/

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyLove187
Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well Friend I have read the whole story and was wondering what could be the answer. Since i have seen that u have a continuous beep i think I know exactly whats the Issue. Correct me later if i'm wrong. There will be only two beeps if its a Ram Issue. If u are facing no display and continuous beep say around 6, I guess its a Graphics/Display card Issue. Try to figure out how many beeps occur and u will know whats exactly happenning. For Truth Just Yesterday one of my colleague serviced and fixed a mother board of Dell Laptop which was having the same issue. If this is the exact issue i believe u cannot resolve it on ur own unless u give ur laptop to a Chip level handling service engineer.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Since i know a lot of people when they open a system up, generally do not take take proper precautions with static electricity, i will share something you can try and may help.. Unplug the system, remove the battery, open that panel to access the ram. Remove the ram, and carefully rub the ram memory stick pins with an eraser of a pencil.. This helps discharge static as well, and carefully seat it back in without touching the pins..

I have manged to rectify a problem once this way with this trick..

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Sense this is a team effort to help the OP.It is my opinion if the PC will boot will a live CD like Puppy Love, the mother board and RAM should be OK. If this is not a correct statement, please someone correct me. I has held true for me in the past.
As @purshupro mentioned, check your beep codes. If it's MB problem not much chance of you fixing the PC. Sense it started up once after a hard power reset, I also suspect the MB.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Well Friend I have read the whole story and was wondering what could be the answer. Since i have seen that u have a continuous beep i think I know exactly whats the Issue. Correct me later if i'm wrong. There will be only two beeps if its a Ram Issue. If u are facing no display and continuous beep say around 6, I guess its a Graphics/Display card Issue. Try to figure out how many beeps occur and u will know whats exactly happenning. For Truth Just Yesterday one of my colleague serviced and fixed a mother board of Dell Laptop which was having the same issue. If this is the exact issue i believe u cannot resolve it on ur own unless u give ur laptop to a Chip level handling service engineer.
Purshupro ...this continuous beep never stop ..I have counted up to 18 before I just turned the computer off.... so I think maybe some motherboard issue :)

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Since i know a lot of people when they open a system up, generally do not take take proper precautions with static electricity, i will share something you can try and may help.. Unplug the system, remove the battery, open that panel to access the ram. Remove the ram, and carefully rub the ram memory stick pins with an eraser of a pencil.. This helps discharge static as well, and carefully seat it back in without touching the pins..

I have manged to rectify a problem once this way with this trick..
illumination ....great suggestion ...so I tried it ...but unfortunately it did not work... I cannot run the diagnostics because it just will not get that far in the boot process...So I am down to thinking it is the motherboard or the power plug went bad, even though the computer is almost never moved around.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Hi Sense this is a team effort to help the OP.It is my opinion if the PC will boot will a live CD like Puppy Love, the mother board and RAM should be OK. If this is not a correct statement, please someone correct me. I has held true for me in the past.
As @purshupro mentioned, check your beep codes. If it's MB problem not much chance of you fixing the PC. Sense it started up once after a hard power reset, I also suspect the MB.
Donetao....I cannot get it to boot up far enough to use a live cd...and I have checked the beep codes none seem to pertain to this issue...do probably it is the motherboard :(

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.