Dell, Other Vendors Start Shipping Laptops With Intel ME Firmware Disabled

Discussion in 'Security News' started by Solarquest, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Solarquest

Solarquest Moderator
    Staff Member AV Tester

Jul 22, 2014
    Some hardware vendors are reacting to the recent revelation that some of Intel's core CPU technology is riddled with security holes.

At the time of writing, three laptop and computer vendors have started offering a way to buy products without Intel ME (Management Engine), or have said they'll deliver firmware updates that disable the technology.

Intel Management Engine is a technology that is often described as a secret operating system inside the main Intel CPU. The ME component runs independently from the user's main OS, with separate processes, threads, memory manager, hardware bus driver, file system, and many other components. An attacker that exploits a flaw and gains control over the Intel ME has untethered control over the entire computer. In November, Intel issued a security alert for several flaws affecting ME and other core Intel CPU technologies.

plat1098, Weebarra, ZeroDay and 7 others like this.
  2. BryanB

BryanB Level 3

Aug 17, 2017
    Handyman
    MI
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    Thanks for the heads up on this and for the new post in the forum.:confused: What is your feeling about this issue, has Intel responded responsibly or do you think otherwise.

3. Entreri

Entreri Level 6

May 25, 2015
    Good news.

Anybody that disables this junk, will be on the top my list for purchases.

Weebarra, ZeroDay and Deletedmessiah like this.
  4. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    Great news.

Intel shouldn't have even put themselves in a position for this to have potentially happened at all, regardless of the abuse chances being low. I don't understand what goes on with their thought process, and it should be disabled by default at-least.

Weebarra, ZeroDay, BryanB and 2 others like this.