Windows Edition
Home
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
ESET Internet Security + Simple Software Restriction Policy (SRP)
Firewall security
About custom security
Custom HIPS & Firewall Rules
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Brave with all the shields
Maintenance tools
CCleaner Portable
File and Photo backup
External HDD
System recovery
Windows Backup & Restore
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
i5 7600K
ASRock Z270 Taichi
16GB Ram
Galax GTX 1070 Ti
1TB SSD

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Hello guys. This is my gaming pc Security config. As usual I try to keep it as light as possible. I know I'm still stuck on windows 7 because I terribly terribly hate windows 10. Except regarding upgrading windows all other suggestions are welcome. Happy New Year everyone.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@devjit2018 Good configuration there!

As @oldschool has mentioned I'd probably look at using Hard_Configurator as it is quite nice.

I do not have much to add for your configuration. Perhaps using HTTPS Everywhere would be a good addition! Overall, I think you have a nice setup.

EEK would be a good addition to your second opinion scanners. Its free too! Link: Emsisoft | Emergency Kit: Free Portable Malware Scan and Removal

I think EEK would be better than AdwCleaner at this point of time.

CCleaner had some security issues in the past so I gave up on it. If you still use it I would personally use the portable edition only due to the past security nightmare that happened a while back. Otherwise, I would look at different alternatives. CCleaner is a nifty tool though. I think you would like the portable version as it is is the same as the installed version just in a portable format. Keep it on a thumb drive or somethin'. :)

Please keep in mind that end of support for Windows 7 is coming up quite soon. There is still a way to get your computer upgraded to Windows 10 with a matching version for free, but you have to do so with the latest version of Windows 10 1809 (for the build). This is widely known and posted about. I would look into seeing if your computer is compatible (driver wise) with Windows 10. Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won't end until January 14, 2020. You have a little over a year (366 days) from today to make the jump before things may get a little muddy. I know it is something you wish not to do, but it is best to plan for the future and know if something will work or not. :) (y)(y)

~Brian

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Have you considered Hard_Configurator as it has W7 profiles. Perfect for W7! (y)
I used H_C in the past but sometimes it prevents the execution of some games so I didn't opt for SRP in my gaming rig. Instead I use ESET HIPS as anti executable and rely on sandboxie/Shadow defender for virtualization(if I need to test some unknown executables).

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
@devjit2018 Good configuration there!

As @oldschool has mentioned I'd probably look at using Hard_Configurator as it is quite nice.

I do not have much to add for your configuration. Perhaps using HTTPS Everywhere would be a good addition! Overall, I think you have a nice setup.

EEK would be a good addition to your second opinion scanners. Its free too! Link: Emsisoft | Emergency Kit: Free Portable Malware Scan and Removal

I think EEK would be better than AdwCleaner at this point of time.

CCleaner had some security issues in the past so I gave up on it. If you still use it I would personally use the portable edition only due to the past security nightmare that happened a while back. Otherwise, I would look at different alternatives. CCleaner is a nifty tool though. I think you would like the portable version as it is is the same as the installed version just in a portable format. Keep it on a thumb drive or somethin'. :)

Please keep in mind that end of support for Windows 7 is coming up quite soon. There is still a way to get your computer upgraded to Windows 10 with a matching version for free, but you have to do so with the latest version of Windows 10 1809 (for the build). This is widely known and posted about. I would look into seeing if your computer is compatible (driver wise) with Windows 10. Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won't end until January 14, 2020. You have a little over a year (366 days) from today to make the jump before things may get a little muddy. I know it is something you wish not to do, but it is best to plan for the future and know if something will work or not. :) (y)(y)

~Brian
You're right. There's no need for adwcleaner. In fact I don't even need HitmanPro. I just keep it for peace of mind and run a scan weekly, it never finds anything. I'll add EEK to my external HDD and add Zemana portable too once version 3 is released.

Nowadays most of the sites use HTTPS by default so I didn't consider httpseverywhere. I use Brave without any extentions but with the inbuilt adblocker supplemented by AdGuard and the built in script blocker.

CCleaner portable is a good suggestion but I have blocked CCleaner in my firewall. So I should be safe right?

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@devjit2018 ,

Glad to hear you'll use EEK. You could use Zemana Portable right now if you wanted v2 is pretty good. v3 will be amazing once it is out.

HTTPS Ever where has its place giving various web browsers one will use. I see your point though. AdGuard is quite powerful and once anyone makes some tweaks the security of it goes up (so as long as it is stable for you).

CCleaner portable should be used. I have lack of trust (trust is broken) now in CCleaner after the big mishap. Blocking it on the firewall is ok. I would still go for the portable version as it is the same as it is installed - just not physically on your computer.

Keep us posted on any changes there @devjit2018 !

~Brian

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
UPDATE:
Changed Browser from Brave to Chrome(issues with Videos)

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I would add Scriptsafe to your web browser. Everything else is covered!

~LDogg

Reactions: Wraith

Kuonirath

Level 1
Verified
Jan 25, 2019
@devjit2018 tell me you do not have any conflict between eset and spyshelter? I ask because I would like to use nod32 and ssfw but both programs have hips and I do not know if this will not cause any conflict

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
@devjit2018 tell me you do not have any conflict between eset and spyshelter? I ask because I would like to use nod32 and ssfw but both programs have hips and I do not know if this will not cause any conflict
Yes apparently I thought that they don't have any conflicts but internally they do. If you have both SS and ESET, ESET GUI becomes sluggish when you try to open or change any settings. ESET Banking Protection does not seem to work(the browser is not sandboxed). Another strange problem I noticed that whenever I would start typing, the first letter would not be registered. Sandboxie also seems to have problem with ESET when launching Chrome(it does not open in sandboxie and throws error). My guess is that ESET Banking Protection seems to have a conflict. So I uninstalled Sandboxie and SpyShelter and added Shadow Defender(on demand). The softwares which coexist peacefully with ESET are AdGuard, OSArmor, Shadow Defender, AppGuard.

Last edited:

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
If you have SS Firewall, I would advise you not to go with ESET. Instead go for Kaspersky if you want a paid suite or go with Avast if you want a free AV.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Adguard doesn't block iFrames, webbugs, Google Tokens, Javascript and more.

~LDogg

Reactions: Wraith

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
ESET and AppGuard damn, that's a fortress. Personally I wouldn't use CCleaner and would use something like Bleachbit but that's just my love for FOSS and staying as far away from Avast and their telemetry as possible. Mind PMing me those ESET rules?

Reactions: bribon77 and Wraith

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.