Windows Edition
Home
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
ESET Internet Security + Simple Software Restriction Policy (SRP)
Firewall security
About custom security
Custom HIPS & Firewall Rules
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Brave with all the shields
Maintenance tools
CCleaner Portable
File and Photo backup
External HDD
System recovery
Windows Backup & Restore
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
i5 7600K
ASRock Z270 Taichi
16GB Ram
Galax GTX 1070 Ti
1TB SSD

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
ESET and AppGuard damn, that's a fortress. Personally I wouldn't use CCleaner and would use something like Bleachbit but that's just my love for FOSS and staying as far away from Avast and their telemetry as possible. Mind PMing me those ESET rules?
I'll PM you my ESET configuration file. I have CCleaner blocked by ESET Firewall. You are right indeed friend, AppGuard and ESET make a solid combo while being extremely light.

Last edited:

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
REMOVED:
AOMEI Backupper(In the rare event I get infected, I will perform a clean re-installation of my OS)

Reactions: harlan4096

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Does that ESET file just have the ESET ransomware HIPS rules plus the ones you mentions in the ESET thread?

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Thanks for sharing! Might check it out since it’ll save time entering each rule. They definitely could streamline the interface.
I would recommend you to use SysHardener to tighten the security of your OS. SysHardener combined with these rules should be a great combo. Just make sure to disable script execution in SysHardener and enable constraint mode in powershell. Also use a good adblocker for your browsers since often users get infected by clicking malicious ads.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I would recommend you to use SysHardener to tighten the security of your OS. SysHardener combined with these rules should be a great combo. Just make sure to disable script execution in SysHardener and enable constraint mode in powershell. Also use a good adblocker for your browsers since often users get infected by clicking malicious ads.

I actually was planning on downloading syshardener to go along with this already! So that supports my thinking. And I have been running uBlock Origin for quite some time to handle ads.

In terms of HIPS prompts when installing software, is it a large amount or just a few?

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Normally HIPS shouldn't alert you Unless the installer needs to access regsvr32, cscript/wscript, powershell, mshta and wmic. Since these are most commonly abused by malware, I have set HIPS to monitor their execution.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Rollback messed up my SSD.TRIM wouldn't function and somehow the MBR got corrupted as the OS wouldn't boot. So I secure erased my SSD, reinstalled Windows and started from scratch. Most of the softwares are same.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.