Did Orbit Downloader ever clean up its act? (botnets--yikes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Orbit Downloader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :
Furthermore, it has been reported that since version 4.1.1.15 Orbit Downloader includes a botnet-like module which performs DDoS attacks without the user's knowledge or permission. Because of this dubious behavior, it is being detected as a virus by security companies.[4] There has been no independent confirmation that this module had been removed in current versions since 4.1.1.19.

4. "Orbital Decay: the dark side of a popular file downloading tool". We Live Security. ESET. 21 August 2013. Retrieved 21 August 2013.

Reactions: XhenEd

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
What is the use of such tools? I would rather choose a slow download without a special manager filled with adware. Them take such chances imo. However I do admit some software can be great if used appropriately

Reethu

Level 1
Verified
Oct 15, 2014
Orbit Downloader is no longer being developed, the last update is as far back in 2014.

They went downhill ever since it's been detected as a threat because of it's activities. Switch to EagleGet which is far better. :)

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
What is the use of such tools? I would rather choose a slow download without a special manager filled with adware.

Speed is not my concern. Some videos simply can't be downloaded using your browser's native tools but another tool such as Savefrom.net can grab them.

I don't care if a program bundles offers of third-party software. I've learned how to avoid getting stuff I don't want. But I'm not certainly not going to become a botnet.

Switch to EagleGet which is far better. :)

I'm checking that out.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
\

I don't care if a program bundles offers of third-party software. I've learned how to avoid getting stuff I don't want. But I'm not certainly not going to become a botnet.

Agreed but what about the downloads that sneak in adware without an accept or declined button?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Orbit Downloader is already known for its questionable reputation which why some 3rd party sites rated as ad-supported.

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.