Did you try Windows 10 version 1903, May 2019 Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Well youre going to do clean install after 1903 anyways, so i dont see there any loss to have sneak peek on insider right now

I'd like to try it out aswell, but i still have my main system only and i dont want to mess up with it

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have it installed and I don't see any "noticeable" improvement. My opinion is that we have to wait for the version that will be released next month. Regards.
I take it that you also did not see any noticeable bugs?

Reactions: brambedkar59

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Is it worth it to get on the Insider track and download 1903?
Only if you are having issues on current build (v1809). The only reason I opted for 1903 was because of performance issues in games. Ironically they gave another CU yesterday to 1903 which introduced the same bug.

Reactions: stefanos and shmu26

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've upgraded two computers so far. I've only used it very briefly so far, but have had no issues yet. One of the computers is 13 years old and it is running just as fast as with previous builds. I upgraded from an old build to 1803 via Windows Update and then joined the Insider Program to update to 1903. There were no issues at all installing either of the builds, despite the age of the computer.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I decided to try it in a VM. Just my luck -- I hit a VM bug. :)
VirtualBox
Linux Mint host
Win10 guest
Cannot access shared folders.
That's a showstopper for me, so I nuked the VM and I am currently in the process of copying back my old version of the VM.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just installed in on another computer. The upgrade failed twice, for different reasons. Rather than trying to resolve the issues, I did a clean install, with an ISO I downloaded.

I'm very impressed so far. This is a 12 year old laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad X61s), and with previous builds of Windows 10, there was delay of a second or so, between pressing the Windows key and the Start Menu opening, due to the very slow Intel integrated graphics. After setting the visual effects to Best Performance and installing driver updates, the Start Menu now opens quickly, making Windows 10 now actually usable on this laptop.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Initial view: I got it last nite via Settings after registering for the Slow Ring. After some initial hangs on boot and shutdown which self-corrected, it's running well. Task manager processes (except for Memory) go to zeros almost at once when it's opened and Event Viewer--System so far just showed some DCOM crap entries ref. Windows.SecurityCenter that I fixed in the registry.

Disk Cleanup, Snipping Tool and Edge.old are still working on here, as well as all my 3rd party software that came over. It's fast and clean-running and any inherent bugs haven't surfaced yet. We shall see.

Edit/Update: It seems I had to (and I mean had to) update the NVIDIA graphics driver to absolute latest (April 23, 2019), driver version 430.39. Night light was cutting out after exiting from games, and this was part of the gpu driver issue. I don't think the latest NVIDIA driver is totally safe with Windows 1903. I changed to f.lux from Night Light (get it free from MS Store). This solved the crash from exiting games issue and stopped (of all things) the Settings app disappearing whenever I clicked Apps and Features. Hopefully this will reach Microsoft via the basic telemetry. NVIDIA needs some work still.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Update: Unfortunately, but as no surprise, NVIDIA gpu driver was having an interaction with v. 1903--especially with Night Light, which gives a nice cast to my desktop 24/7. So, I clean-installed v.1809 and am keeping it down software-wise for now. Somewhere, my restart function got messed up where the monitor doesn't fully shut down and the machine reboots twice. Hardware issue possibly, maybe a bad cable, maybe not. :mad: NVIDIA did issue a hot-fix driver (or two?) but not tempted to try again at the moment.

Anyone else find v.1903 pretty good but had to revert to their last build due to something unforeseen?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I read that if you moved certain standard user folders, such as Desktop, to a custom location, that can cause an upgrade to 1903 to fail. So I put my Downloads folder back where it belonged, and the upgrade still failed. I did not have a flash drive or external hard drive plugged in. (That can also cause an upgrade to fail.) I wish I knew what the problem is.

Reactions: stefanos and plat

mediator_ram

Level 1
Verified
May 2, 2019
Update: Unfortunately, but as no surprise, NVIDIA gpu driver was having an interaction with v. 1903--especially with Night Light, which gives a nice cast to my desktop 24/7. So, I clean-installed v.1809 and am keeping it down software-wise for now. Somewhere, my restart function got messed up where the monitor doesn't fully shut down and the machine reboots twice. Hardware issue possibly, maybe a bad cable, maybe not. :mad: NVIDIA did issue a hot-fix driver (or two?) but not tempted to try again at the moment.

Anyone else find v.1903 pretty good but had to revert to their last build due to something unforeseen?
If you're using a desktop then you need to probably check your SMPS and battery as they mostly cause these kinds of problem.
It happens due to failure by SMPS in controlling its power fluctuations.

I read that if you moved certain standard user folders, such as Desktop, to a custom location, that can cause an upgrade to 1903 to fail. So I put my Downloads folder back where it belonged, and the upgrade still failed. I did not have a flash drive or external hard drive plugged in. (That can also cause an upgrade to fail.) I wish I knew what the problem is.

This is a completely new kind of problem I haven't come across such thing. So I think we need to be much conscious with moving default folders or programs.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
What's your opinion of it, so far?
Is it worth it to get on the Insider track and download 1903?
If you want best battery life and upstream future spectre updates choose 19H1 otherwise use current v1803/1809 until EOL. No major difference or compelling features. Vmware won't work and certain realtek sd card driver and creative audio drivers aren't working properly.
Few bugs I noticed:
  1. Settings > Apps : Instant crash while Settings > Storage > App list doesn't crash settings app
  2. Delayed switching in power plans based on AC source and battery. Response time is too high
  3. If you upgraded from 18353 to 18362.30 future update like 53/86 refuses to install and only workaround is to use ISO to upgrade the system.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Having lots happening at the moment I haven't tried it like usual, I may do so if I have time to spare, but seems to me nothing to change my life. As I'm pretty sure I'm turning into an old fart (I have confirmation from others there) most of MS's recent changes are challenges for me to disable so my PC's run like I want them too.

Reactions: Vasudev
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.