Advice Request Different connection for same site in different browsers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I got a malware blocked message from my router the other day for googlehosted(dot)com. This was not a site I visited and I had not had a site get blocked while browsing. After going back and forth with support, and digging through my web history and looking at connections in uBlock Origin, it appears that virustotal(dot)com loads googlehosted(dot)com. The strange thing is that it only tries to connect to that url when using Firefox, and not Chrome or Edge Chromium. Anybody know why this might be? I tried reinstalling Firefox and clearing all the app data in case I picked up something on the web, but even with a clean install it happens.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Do you have the virustotal extension for firefox? it might be turned off but still installed so you forgot it was there. (I'm not even sure if that extension still works on the newer firefox ? )
I never installed an extension for VirusTotal. In fact I did try with a fresh Firefox install without any extensions.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
What’s weird is no other google owned site I checked used this url.
That is strange. I just visited VT now with FF 74.0 and uBO, and nothing tried to load from Google other than Google Analytics:
VT uBO.png

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yes they are. I suspect some weirdness with my ISP's DNS. Since it's firefox i tried DoH with Cloudflare and it came up differently. They are no stranger to DNS hijacking and cache poisoning (Comcast). I wonder if Firefox somehow is grabbing the DNS info differently than Chromium based browsers. My router currently cannot use third party DNS properly due to some bug in the firmware. I guess I'll set a specific one for my PC for now. It's a relief to know I was right that it was just some DNS header info getting spit out. I was a bit concerned I had something going rogue on my system.

With ISP:
googehosted screenshot 1.png

With Cloudflare:

googehosted screenshot 2.png

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Yes they are. I suspect some weirdness with my ISP's DNS. Since it's firefox i tried DoH with Cloudflare and it came up differently. They are no stranger to DNS hijacking and cache poisoning (Comcast). I wonder if Firefox somehow is grabbing the DNS info differently than Chromium based browsers. My router currently cannot use third party DNS properly due to some bug in the firmware. I guess I'll set a specific one for my PC for now. It's a relief to know I was right that it was just some DNS header info getting spit out. I was a bit concerned I had something going rogue on my system.

With ISP:
View attachment 235908

With Cloudflare:

View attachment 235909
That's fascinating! I currently use Quad9 DOH in FF with no fallback because I don't trust my ISP as far as I can throw it.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
That's fascinating! I currently use Quad9 DOH in FF with no fallback because I don't trust my ISP as far as I can throw it.
I slapped on cleanbrowsing security filter in FF with DoH, that’s what I was using for my router DNS before they borked the firmware up. I don’t trust my ISP with DNS resolving and this would have been a dealbreaker if it was an issue before I got the router.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
there are a couple of antivirus' out there that background upload to virustotal too, and there might be something in particular with firefox that gets them excited. ex. crystal, voodoshield, etc ??? longshot guess I know, heheh, but if so, you could disable them to see.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
there are a couple of antivirus' out there that background upload to virustotal too, and there might be something in particular with firefox that gets them excited. ex. crystal, voodoshield, etc ??? longshot guess I know, heheh, but if so, you could disable them to see.
It is definitely something my ISP DNS is doing. @South Park was right about the CNAME unmasking.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.