Advice Request [Discuss] The future of AV-industry

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Now that Windows Defender is almost as good as other AV-softwares, and for the most part enough for the average Windows user, I'm thinking of what could be added to the individual 3rd party AV-software.

In my opinion I would welcome:
  • Advanced and customized ad blocker
  • Built-in VPN (free of charge when you purchase a license)
  • Function to increase gaming experience (if there is such a thing) :)
This is my recommendation for the default/standard version (Internet Security) and not the exclusive edition (Total Security). What do you think should be added or changed to make AV-companies even more attractive?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I have a few small requests I would like such as a script locker where scripts can be stored safely. This way any script not in the locker on a PC can easily be blocked and also the scripts can be protected from being overwritten by malware. This way script hosts are made safe...

Function to increase gaming experience (if there is such a thing) :)

It would be great to see someone REALLY take this challenge and REALLY shut down Windows to the max during game time...

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Most AVs offer free versions that have the same functionality as WD. Most of their paid versions are just inclusive of their VPNs, "banking mode", file clean up or access to their superior blocking technology.

But honestly if you ask me, most of the time the free option provides you more than enough protection against day to day threats. Lets take Kaspersky for example. The free version provides you all the essential protection already, while purchasing the paid version gives you a more customizable experience. 99% of these customizations are not going to affect your protection.

In fact many of these customizations or addtional tools can be downloaded through other software, eg clean up - bleachbit/ccleaner/wise disk cleaner.

Many if not all of the AVs have the same virus definitions between the paid and free version, and if by some chance the paid version is able to detect a virus that is not yet detected by the capabilities of the free version, they will be promptly updated to ensure protection.

I have remained with Kaspersky free since it was released and I have to say that it has yet to disappoint me. Any additional features I need I'll probably find with a third party software.

blacksheep

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
More strict and flexible firewall like this one

Attachments

• 2020-03-21_21YcW.png
    2020-03-21_21YcW.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 158

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
For the vendors, minding which essential features to stick to to offer, is crucial for them to stay balanced and relevant (besides keeping up with the current threatscape).
"Fix not what's not broken" does not often just make sense for a feature, but for the entire product offering too. Likewise, why add more than what is essentially expected of your product?
Many AVs have already been providing extras like VPNs, Password Managers, banner control and cleaners. Some of the freemiums/freebies also resort to in-app advertising for upgrading the same.
Sure, there will be some users who would be happy to avail extras. However, I've seen many users who just want the core security aspect. The rest is bloat for them. Including some of them like PMs or trustable VPNs in extra-premium packages is fine, but IMO the AV companies should not unnecessarily invest time and money in extras like cleaners or performance enhancers that add just a little value to their domain of work... while dedicated and customizable apps offering the same are famously available.
Gaming Mode is common in some AVs where notifications and idle/scheduled scans are restricted. Other than that, there are a few utilities that disable unnecessary services, free up RAM for a better gaming experience. Pair that with customized Process Lasso and there you go 😁

I wouldn`t be so sure about WD being so good and, in addition, i would never put all the eggs in one basket. In other words i would avoid having OS + AV = Microsoft. I like diversity. :cool:
I totally agree! Besides, even though Microsoft will be the one having most details knowledge and know-hows of the working of Windows, their expertise and experience with the cyberthreats would be lesser compared to major players who have been solely doing this 24*7*52 since years. Getting intel from these players is not enough.
WD is improving impressively especially ATP, no doubt. But I would not trust it wholly. Also it is supposed to be the most targeted now that it's the default built-in.

I have a few small requests I would like such as a script locker where scripts can be stored safely. This way any script not in the locker on a PC can easily be blocked and also the scripts can be protected from being overwritten by malware. This way script hosts are made safe...
Basically what one practices currently in the available solutions by -
  • having a default-deny/app locker and then a list of whitelisted scripts +
  • having access protection for a set of script files
.. you're suggesting to combine them into a little specific unit. It's a good idea :)
Endpoint solutions mainly focus on practicality and demand of features among the users. If it rises enough, maybe some vendor might consider implementing it. Have you ever suggested this on any AV forums?

But honestly if you ask me, most of the time the free option provides you more than enough protection against day to day threats. Lets take Kaspersky for example. The free version provides you all the essential protection already, while purchasing the paid version gives you a more customizable experience. 99% of these customizations are not going to affect your protection.
Many if not all of the AVs have the same virus definitions between the paid and free version, and if by some chance the paid version is able to detect a virus that is not yet detected by the capabilities of the free version, they will be promptly updated to ensure protection.
"Some specific protection being enough" is up to an individual, but not entirely.
An average user might get infected with a strong config. We know nothing is full-proof. Neither human decisions of course, nor the solutions.
That average user practicing safe habits might as well get infected with a light and simple config - if once in a blue moon he visits something that is compromised, shady or runs some non-legit app for some obvious reasons by creating an exception in the security rules he set. Boom, one bad out of all hundred things that happened to him did the nasty thing.
Safe habits sure reduce the probability of attacks but don't eliminate them.
If the user could not identify the infection, be it minor or a disastrous one, he (feels he) is safe in his Wonderland. He's good. It might even not be something he would care much about.
And the opposite that a paranoid user might think of some minor events as risks and might freak out... eventually running multiple scanners or scratching his head whether he should again clean install his system for peace of mind.
The above are only a few combinations among various possible scenarios.

Most of the times, the IS (paid) version of an AV provides important complementary features (firewall - IDS, IPS, ..., Advanced ML that help over unrecognized threats - though detected ones soon get added to common sigs, Application Control or HIPS, and more customization) over the basics (AV sigs, BB, surfing protection).
One might want to use another solution to add the missing features of a free AV. I would prefer to have that or a complete suite and not just rely on a free AV/default-deny for regular use.
I do not think of those complete packages as necessary, but I do advocate their use.
The missing features of a free AV cover different attack vectors and their scope of protection also differs. Combine that with the years of cybersecurity expertise that Security Vendors put into their various modules to make it a one big integrated and tightly-coupled product. Now add some default-deny and safe browsing ;)
These are my thoughts. Everyone has their own set of usage and spectrum of knowledge... and may feel the need for more or less protection.

Coming back to the topic, I think
  • providing more practical & customizable solutions appropriate for various groups of target users. With time, there's always room for improvement
  • offering better lockdown setups suitable for different use cases
  • expanding the scope of protection w.r.t. the constantly evolving threatscape
  • progressing their technologies (like ML added years back and being improved ever since; better system & network analysis so as to identify potential breaches and provide improved post-breach remediation measures - like some major corporate players are advertising nowadays)
are more eligible for concerns rather than adding a stockpile of less useful features to impress only a handful.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If the members of a forum like MT are aware of the security they have, I don't think they really need to add or change anything.
What I can think of is protection recommendations for people who are not interested or knowledgeable about security. I think it is possible to prevent the easy use of administrator authority like Android, that is, to strengthen regulations rather than adding them.
For the generation that grew up on smartphones, security is like air. It's no wonder they're indifferent to pc security, which requires additional equipment like gas masks and antipyretics. It is necessary to bridge that perception gap.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Never been a fan of Microsoft's built in apps to the degree almost everything in Windows is replaced by something faster easier to use & often free though I do use Office 365 - Adding granular 'un-tracking' for me is the only addition I'm interested in - KIS already has features I don't want or need, yet drop down to a lesser KAV you miss needed security modules - Companies should concentrate on preventing infestation of our devices - Can't see the day I use Defender.

B

BVLon

The future of the Cyber Security lies in services... software is more or less thing of the past now, no matter how much AI you will put in it.
Future is in services such as insurances, encryption (access control), data monitoring and many others.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
The future of the Cyber Security lies in services... software is more or less thing of the past now, no matter how much AI you will put in it.
Future is in services such as insurances, encryption (access control), data monitoring and many others.
It would be good to know what 'many other' services you believe are a good watch for future!
I have reasons to believe based on your knowledge that by software, you meant product (different terms, different entities). Software will include both product and service offerings in context of security providers.

Many services you mentioned like access control, data monitoring are a vital part of existing endpoint products, though the granularity and scope may vary.

Later on, data monitoring and analysis has been (for the better) used in advancing solutions like Microsoft's ATP or Cisco Talos Incident Response services... and sure these have a great potential.
However, it's like a politician at risk - owning a gun and is complemented by a bodyguards. Both prove to be useful per different use cases. The option of owning a gun may not be redundant. Except that here, the politician ie. the user is always the good guy :)
Such protections are either a part of their product solution or offered as distinct addon service (of course through software).... that provide advanced measures for Early Detection and Incidence Response including Shared Intelligence and Post Breach Remediation.
Both the existing security products (be it endpoint security or something like appguard) and addon services we are talking about will be essential for a well rounded proactive+reactive protection.

Matter of fact is that products like endpoint securities (that may include services), for most organizations and users, will continue to cover majority of attack vectors with multiple inter-connected modules. Some modules might become less significant over years when their loads will be carried by something more potential... AI currently being only a small helper to improvise mainly static detection. It is being improved to be used in both the security products vastly used and the discussed services to improve dynamic detection. AI after all these years, is still not very mature compared to its vast potential documented in this field.

However if we talk about the growth rate of solutions, instead of being entirely service based, I do think some innovative and existing product features being offered as more robust services have a large scope of development and selective adoption in coming years.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.