[Discuss] Windows internal Reset feature vs CD/ USB clean install

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 85179
  • Start date
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
Which way would you recommend to start with a clean Windows?

I want start with a clean one so i can start with better config then before and also i move this config from a old Intel to new AMD.
PC looks still clean so far (like last years) and different tools doesn't show any problems.

I also ask myself if i should wait for 2004 build with the clean install or not. Currently i use 1909

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I believe a full clean install does include formatting your drives.
So external should be the best.
I would wait for build 2004.
New builds work best with a clean install.
But don't forget to backup your files and software licences!

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
I believe a full clean install does include formatting your drives.
That's the question. As i know, the internal Reset feature make a full clean install but i don't know how "full" it is. Does it only delete all files + renew Windows files? What's then with stuff like Bootloader and maybe activated Device Guard, ..

But don't forget to backup your files and software licences!
My files got regular saved and the only licence (Windows) isn't a problem any longer, cause i connect it with my Microsoft account so i only need to once login with that, and get the license. Then a offline account is possible again.
But i guess this isn't required if internal Reset feature is used, so one bonus for the internal method.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
That's the question. As i know, the internal Reset feature make a full clean install but i don't know how "full" it is. Does it only delete all files + renew Windows files? What's then with stuff like Bootloader and maybe activated Device Guard, ..

My files got regular saved and the only licence (Windows) isn't a problem any longer, cause i connect it with my Microsoft account so i only need to once login with that, and get the license. Then a offline account is possible again.
But i guess this isn't required if internal Reset feature is used, so one bonus for the internal method.
With the last reset I was not offered the option to format my drives, so it's not a full clean install.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
The 2004 build provide a new feature which download Windows from internet and then install it, which i guess comes a realy clean install close?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
The internal 'Reset this PC' has additional options you can enable to erase/clean drives for a clean install. Please see the below screenshots.

Reset this PC - Main Screen
TdFAB1Nl.png
Reset this P'C - Additional settings
SZH92DFl.png
Reset this PC - 'Data erasure' and 'Data drives' options enabled
MxfIX2jl.png
Reset this PC - Show me the list of drives that will be affected
fTYBs0jl.png
Reset this PC - Drives that will be affected
GaebSFml.png

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
The internal 'Reset this PC' has additional options you can enable to erase/clean drives for a clean install. Please see the below screenshots.

Yes this is what i mean.
But it doesn't format the drive? At least i doesn't know how that will be work from a running Windows.
Anyway the question is if a format is even necessary or recommend for a "realy" clean install.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I'm running v. 2004 now, it's quite stable. I don't know what hardware you have but there are "optional updates" that feature various drivers from Intel and AMD (yes, AMD driver offered on an Intel machine :rolleyes:). I don't touch them with a ten foot pole. What I do, I download the drivers I need beforehand, clean-install, then access Windows.old to retrieve them. Very easy. So, I don't know whether that driver update feature is going to make it to the 2004 release.

I'm siding with others who say: Wait until 2004's ISO is officially released and then cleanly install it. Right now it needs various refinements: too many ESENT warnings typical of these beta builds, shutdown is prolonged several seconds compared to 1909, notices with yellow exclamation marks that "updates are in progress" when there are none in the queue, and so on. Under the hood, who knows. 1909 is superior in performance to beta 2004 on here at the moment. That I can tell you.

Windows re-partitioned my drive when I installed an earlier Insiders build over v. 1909 a while back and I ended up with 2 extra recovery partitions. I merged them with the C partition via diskpart and promptly got a boot failure. When I re-installed Windows 1909 via USB ISO, the partitions were back to the normal 3. So, I would be careful there, very careful, and let Windows handle the formatting.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
Yes this is what i mean.
But it doesn't format the drive? At least i doesn't know how that will be work from a running Windows.
Anyway the question is if a format is even necessary or recommend for a "realy" clean install.
You don't get an option to create partitions or choose which drive to install Windows with 'Reset this PC'. That's a downside with using the internal option.

What happens when you use 'Reset this PC':
  1. The PC boots into Windows RE, the Windows Recovery Environment
  2. Windows RE erases and formats the Windows partitions before installing a fresh copy of Windows.
  3. The PC restarts into the new copy of Windows.
Another thing to take note of is that if the PC manufacturer included bloatware in your install of Windows, the internal reset option will include the bloatware from my understanding. I don't have a method of testing this as I was using a custom built PC and had to install the OS myself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.