Discussed and Voted by Staff: Like system being deactivated next month

Discussion in 'Community Announcements' started by Spawn, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Discussed and Voted by Staff - Like system being deactivated next month.

Since the beginning MalwareTips.com Forum, our members have been using the Like system for showing appreciation to useful or helpful posts, and a very good alternate to posting "Thanks" or "Ok".

However, over the past several months, we (Staff) have noticed an increase of spam-like posts to harvest Likes amongst members, to boost their profile points and received likes.

Examples for Cheating/Abusing the Like system as follows:

• Asking for Likes (publicly or privately over PM - which has been reported to us)
    • Non-meaningful replies (with one word, emojis or images)
    • Post-padding in certain sub-forums (copy and paste tactic)

We have been heavily discussing about whether the Like system should remain on MalwareTips.com or be completely disabled. We have considered all the Pros and Cons of this system prior to making this final decision, via a vote amongst Staff members only.

Only active Staff members had the right to vote which includes @Jack @Huracan @MrXidus @BoraMurdar @exterminator20 .

Outcome
    The majority of votes were: 'For the removal of the Likes system'.

What Happens Next?
    As much as we enjoyed having this system for our members, it's really unfortunate that some members decided to abused and cheat the system for their own personal gain.

Once the Like system/plugin has been disabled. All members, including Staff members and Trusted members will have no Likes Given or Received. We will remove these from the Profile pages and on the boards.

We will still utilise the Reputation system which is currently only allowed by Admins (Jack, Huracan) and Super Moderators (MrXidus, exterminator20, BoraMurdar), which can be given to regular members.

Thank you all for understanding.

- Huracan
    - Jack
    - MrXidus
    - BoraMurdar
    - Exterminator20

If you have any questions, please click here to contact us privately.

Svoll, Rishi, tallorder and 10 others like this.
  2. Purshu_Pro

Purshu_Pro Level 29
    Trusted

Aug 3, 2013
    EMSISOFT Re-Seller
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    This is a good step taken by you guys. For Instance u can also give the authority of likes to Community Superstars also. It seems we have a lot of talented ones hear. And hence they would know what to like. This is just my taught.

3. Sasa

Sasa New Member

Sep 1, 2014
    You should have asked the members too not just the staff your not the only one in here!

4. BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Doctor of medicine
    Serbia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    We have discussed about that also, but still we reserved the right the remove the Like Plugin completely.

kram7750 and Cats-4_Owners-2 like this.
  5. Purshu_Pro

Purshu_Pro Level 29
    Trusted

Aug 3, 2013
    EMSISOFT Re-Seller
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    No Offence :cool:

Cats-4_Owners-2 likes this.
  6. yigido

yigido Guest

It is a good idea..we are not here for collecting likes :)
    I just wonder..why @Malware1 did not into the staff members list on first post??
    Thanks

7. Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA Level 27

May 11, 2013
    Security Consultant, ICT Advisor and Developer
    Friesland (Harlingen)
    Windows 7
    Norton
    Hello MT staff,

I can only applaud this step for the plain and simple reason there are to many people here who have loads of likes yet ZERO quality posts.
    While some of the "better" members who make a real effort in providing quality posts are struggeling to get any meaningfull attention.
    So i can only say that this step how unfortunate it might seem is the only right step to take here.

Cheers

scot, illumination, tallorder and 8 others like this.
  8. MalwareT

MalwareT Guest

I'm little dissapointed,but i realize that some people are spamming. That's great step taken and i respect it.

tallorder, Cats-4_Owners-2 and yigido like this.
  9. kram7750

kram7750 New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    #9 kram7750, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    I have to say that I agree with this decision myself personally, also. I have noticed the like spamming myself recently, and I believe it has gone too far. I was thinking about it yesterday and this morning especially, what a coincidence.

I like the reputation system because the rights are restricted to the staff, meaning that it won't be abused. :)

As @yigido said, we are not here for likes anyway.

10. Dani Santos

Dani Santos From Xvirus
    Developer

Jun 3, 2014
    Portugal
    Windows 10
    Xvirus
    #10 Dani Santos, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    As long as there is a system there will always be people cheating on it, and that applies to everything. So removing a system because someone was cheating is just rushing a quick solution which does not resolve the issue for long.

Azure Phoenix and Neno like this.
  11. LabZero

LabZero Guest

When I went into MT,about a month ago, I adapted to the system,Like including.
    But if this system will change then I hang on to it.
    What is alive changes, MT including

12. BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Doctor of medicine
    Serbia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Contradictory?

Kent, kram7750 and Dani Santos like this.
  13. aztony

aztony New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Desert Southwest
    Very good comment, Nico. Have observed the same thing myself. By extention, on the surface, there also appears to be a disconnect/disparity with reputation points. I say this without knowing the criteria, or nuance, behind how such points are dispensed. I see some members that really put in a lot of time and effort seeding great content, as well as providing very helpful comments, and only have 1 or 2 reputation points, while others have 80 or 100. Maybe someone can speak to what goes into the award process to alleviate confusion/misunderstandings.

Neno, Cats-4_Owners-2 and kram7750 like this.
  14. Nitlott

Nitlott Level 9

Oct 9, 2014
    Graphic Designer
    Mexico
    This is a good idea and maybe the best for the forum, cuz some users send messages via PM to offer Giveaways, Serials and other things to change for "Likes". This forum is created to share, learn and save computers and the best would say; Thank You! or Great, Well done!. for me it is a good and GREAT idea and I hope that all users we can say Thanks! o Good post, Keep it up! instead of just seeing and give "Like".

Regars!.

15. Malware1

Malware1 New Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Malware1
    Really? Who?

Trusted members have 100 points.
    Staff members have 1000 points.

kram7750 likes this.
  16. Oxygen

Oxygen Level 42

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Most people got thousands of likes from the Malware Hub for no reason, but I agree that we should remove them.

Reputation points should work out fine, I hope it encourages more people to make helpful posts.

17. Nitlott

Nitlott Level 9

Oct 9, 2014
    Graphic Designer
    Mexico
    some users posts the same result from the same AV. for example i see sometimes 4 times of QTS in the same post. :rolleyes:

Malware1 and kram7750 like this.
  18. Oxygen

Oxygen Level 42

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Yeah, I always check to see if something has already been posted no matter what it is. I don't like to post something that is already there. :p

Cats-4_Owners-2 and kram7750 like this.
  19. Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2 Level 37
    Trusted

Dec 4, 2013
    Southern California (east of Los Angeles)
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I believe there shall be a noticeable increase in..
    1. ..writing...
    2. ..sharing...
    3. (conscientiousness)
    4. and following like minded members & staff!
    • ..with a decrease in self centered aggrandizement.:rolleyes:
    It looks like it's time for some to break out of their habit of being lazy!!!;):D

20. Nitlott

Nitlott Level 9

Oct 9, 2014
    Graphic Designer
    Mexico
    Yes o_O. I think a good rule to add to Malware Hub would not post the Same result of a Antivirus more than once, sometimes it seems that Malware Hub change the name to Malware Hub for Qihoo. :p

FreddyFreeloader, kram7750 and Oxygen like this.