Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Discussed and Voted by Staff - Like system being deactivated next month.

Since the beginning malwaretips.com Forum, our members have been using the Like system for showing appreciation to useful or helpful posts, and a very good alternate to posting "Thanks" or "Ok".

However, over the past several months, we (Staff) have noticed an increase of spam-like posts to harvest Likes amongst members, to boost their profile points and received likes.

Examples for Cheating/Abusing the Like system as follows:

• Asking for Likes (publicly or privately over PM - which has been reported to us)
  • Non-meaningful replies (with one word, emojis or images)
  • Post-padding in certain sub-forums (copy and paste tactic)

We have been heavily discussing about whether the Like system should remain on malwaretips.com or be completely disabled. We have considered all the Pros and Cons of this system prior to making this final decision, via a vote amongst Staff members only.

Only active Staff members had the right to vote which includes @Jack @Huracan @MrXidus @BoraMurdar @exterminator20 .

Outcome
The majority of votes were: 'For the removal of the Likes system'.

What Happens Next?
As much as we enjoyed having this system for our members, it's really unfortunate that some members decided to abused and cheat the system for their own personal gain.

Once the Like system/plugin has been disabled. All members, including Staff members and Trusted members will have no Likes Given or Received. We will remove these from the Profile pages and on the boards.

We will still utilise the Reputation system which is currently only allowed by Admins (Jack, Huracan) and Super Moderators (MrXidus, exterminator20, BoraMurdar), which can be given to regular members.

Thank you all for understanding.

- Huracan
- Jack
- MrXidus
- BoraMurdar
- Exterminator20

If you have any questions, please click here to contact us privately.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
This is a good step taken by you guys. For Instance u can also give the authority of likes to Community Superstars also. It seems we have a lot of talented ones hear. And hence they would know what to like. This is just my taught.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
This is a good step taken by you guys. For Instance u can also give the authority of likes to Community Superstars also. It seems we have a lot of talented ones hear. And hence they would know what to like. This is just my taught.
We have discussed about that also, but still we reserved the right the remove the Like Plugin completely.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello MT staff,

I can only applaud this step for the plain and simple reason there are to many people here who have loads of likes yet ZERO quality posts.
While some of the "better" members who make a real effort in providing quality posts are struggeling to get any meaningfull attention.
So i can only say that this step how unfortunate it might seem is the only right step to take here.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 21043

I have to say that I agree with this decision myself personally, also. I have noticed the like spamming myself recently, and I believe it has gone too far. I was thinking about it yesterday and this morning especially, what a coincidence.

I like the reputation system because the rights are restricted to the staff, meaning that it won't be abused. :)

As @yigido said, we are not here for likes anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
As long as there is a system there will always be people cheating on it, and that applies to everything. So removing a system because someone was cheating is just rushing a quick solution which does not resolve the issue for long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azure and Neno
L

LabZero

When I went into MT,about a month ago, I adapted to the system,Like including.
But if this system will change then I hang on to it.
What is alive changes, MT including

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Hello MT staff,

I can only applaud this step for the plain and simple reason there are to many people here who have loads of likes yet ZERO quality posts.
While some of the "better" members who make a real effort in providing quality posts are struggeling to get any meaningfull attention.
So i can only say that this step how unfortunate it might seem is the only right step to take here.

Cheers
Very good comment, Nico. Have observed the same thing myself. By extention, on the surface, there also appears to be a disconnect/disparity with reputation points. I say this without knowing the criteria, or nuance, behind how such points are dispensed. I see some members that really put in a lot of time and effort seeding great content, as well as providing very helpful comments, and only have 1 or 2 reputation points, while others have 80 or 100. Maybe someone can speak to what goes into the award process to alleviate confusion/misunderstandings.

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
This is a good idea and maybe the best for the forum, cuz some users send messages via PM to offer Giveaways, Serials and other things to change for "Likes". This forum is created to share, learn and save computers and the best would say; Thank You! or Great, Well done!. for me it is a good and GREAT idea and I hope that all users we can say Thanks! o Good post, Keep it up! instead of just seeing and give "Like".

Regars!.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
Most people got thousands of likes from the Malware Hub for no reason, but I agree that we should remove them.

Reputation points should work out fine, I hope it encourages more people to make helpful posts.
some users posts the same result from the same AV. for example i see sometimes 4 times of QTS in the same post. :rolleyes:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I believe there shall be a noticeable increase in..
  1. ..writing...
  2. ..sharing...
  3. (conscientiousness)
  4. and following like minded members & staff!
  • ..with a decrease in self centered aggrandizement.:rolleyes:
It looks like it's time for some to break out of their habit of being lazy!!!;):D

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
Yeah, I always check to see if something has already been posted no matter what it is. I don't like to post something that is already there. :p
Yes o_O. I think a good rule to add to Malware Hub would not post the Same result of a Antivirus more than once, sometimes it seems that Malware Hub change the name to Malware Hub for Qihoo. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.