Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
-
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
-
So, tonight all of a sudden my internet crashed. I waited a couple hours and it didn't come up so I googled the issue on my phone and was trying to fix it. Anyway, after running a diagnosis it said my DNS server might be unavailable. So, following some tips on a website I went to Wireless Network Connection properties and switched the option from "Use the following DNS server addresses" to "Obtain DNS server address automatically" and suddenly the internet came back up just like that. I'm confused, I didn't change any settings so what would have happened to cause this and how would the option get changed like that? I mean I never messed with any settings, I was playing WoW when the internet went down. Thanks for any help.

Edit: Actually I did turn on/off and reset my router/modem during the couple hours when it was down. However, it didn't fix the issue.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
which were the ip of the old DNS, there are some cases that a router can be compromised if you use generic password. Just in case check with your ISP if the problem is within the modem/router

Upvote 0

Zimboombafoo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2014
hmm, i'm not sure I understand. were you asking me if I know the ip of my old dns? I don't, I'm pretty unfamiliar with all this stuff. the internet came back up when I switched the DNS settings I'm just confused what caused this

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
mmm may be the router was bundled with preconfig DNS info, from now onwards make sure you have the "get DNS from servers" checked also i would recommend that you change the default password of the router. Also make a quick scan with some tools like hitman or EEK just in case... some times malware is able to change DNS to their malicious ones.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.