Advice Request do i have too many web filters on my opera?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i have ublock origin with default and ransomeware filters. also minerblock, netcraft, avira browser safety, google safe browsing and avast web filters on opera.

i have bitdefender total security.

i have an i5, 2.7ghz. 8gb ddr4 ramm.

my opera is taking 317mb of ramm right now.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I don't think it's killing your hardware but it's probably affecting your internet connection speed. If they have different duties I see no problem on having some extensions for extra security, but for example, I think that having Avira Browser Safety and Avast Web Filters is a bit over killing (plus Google Safe Browsing). I'd let BitDefender's Web Module handle web security or even if you're a bit paranoid install an extra extension.

As for the rest of the extensions I see them useful.

Suggestions:

• Enable privacy and malware/spyware filters on uBlock
  • Uninstall Avira Browser Safety/Avast Web Filters
  • Install HTTPS Everywhere
  • Install NoScript Suite

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
i have ublock origin with default and ransomeware filters. also minerblock, netcraft, avira browser safety, google safe browsing and avast web filters on opera.

Have you tried uBlock in Advanced User Mode? If you globally block 3rd party scripts and frames you may be amazed how many websites function fine. The Hated One's youtube vid is the best tutorial and FUNNY! I'm not really familiar with Opera but if Nano Adblocker is an available extension, it would be even better than uBO - plus it also blocks miners. I can't speak to the rest of your post since I haven't used those. I do know the new Malwarebytes extension is well regarded here in MT and I use it in FF, but don't know if it supports Opera. Opera users might be the best to tackle your concerns.

+ 1 @RoboMan's advice. Use only what you need with no overlap.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Have you tried uBlock in Advanced User Mode? If you globally block 3rd party scripts and frames you may be amazed how many websites function fine. The Hated One's youtube vid is the best tutorial and FUNNY! I'm not really familiar with Opera but if Nano Adblocker is an available extension, it would be even better than uBO - plus it also blocks miners. I can't speak to the rest of your post since I haven't used those. I do know the new Malwarebytes extension is well regarded here in MT and I use it in FF, but don't know if it supports Opera. Opera users might be the best to tackle your concerns.

+ 1 @RoboMan's advice. Use only what you need with no overlap.

Here's the link download Install Chrome Extensions can install any apps(chrome extensions) on Opera :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

i have bitdefender total security.

i have an i5, 2.7ghz. 8gb ddr4 ramm.

my opera is taking 317mb of ramm right now.

Ignore memory usage, that's normal. Browser using 300 MB of 8192 MB is nothing.

Google Safe Browsing works in the background of supported browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera). It's not an Add-on/Extension, but rather a Browser Feature.

If you have Avira Browser Safety, then Avast Online Security is redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.