Do I need Comodo Antivirus, if I have Comodo Firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidov

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
Im just wondering if an antivirus is actually needed with comodo firewall.
As i understand it comodo firewall checks files as they are downloaded etc and im assuming it would pick up malware on its own therefore maybe i would not need to run the comodo av or any other av at all.

Any thoughts on this please.?

Thanks.

Reactions: Solarlynx

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
i think Zone alarm better.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
As i understand it comodo firewall checks files as they are downloaded etc and im assuming it would pick up malware on its own therefore maybe i would not need to run the comodo av or any other av at all.

Thanks.
Hello,
If you have Comodo Firewall installed, you will still need an antivirus on your computer. While Comodo Firewall has a cloud based behavior analysis system which can detect zero-day malware, it does not have any antivirus definitions or heuristic analysis capabilities.
Comodo Firewall is good product, however I would still recommend that you also install the Comodo Antivirus alongside this product.

Davidov

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
Thank you for the feedback I have eset antivirus + comodo firewall that I can hardly compared Comodo AV.Last test 50 malware detected only 2 etc.

Y

yigido

Thanks.
Comodo Firewall has cloud module. Lets talk about an example.
You downloaded a file from the net. You want to run it. You only have CFW.
If Comodo have the signature of the file, CFW detects it while you running it (on access).
If not in database, CFW will sandboxed it. You will be protected. CFW is fairly enough for me for a advanced user. ;)
I want to inform you, CIS and CFW , ram usages are the same, there is no differences. Antivirus module is for usability of CIS.
I recommend you that install CFW + Free antivirus :) You will like your new setup.
CFW + Avira Free is excellent I think. (ıf you know how to use CFW because you have to tweak this for better protection and prevention)

I hope this example will help you about your question.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
David- You are correct in that Comodo Firewall (CF) already has a Cloud scanner which will duplicate the local scanner of CAV. The question of whether or not you actually need another AV scanner at all really depends solely on your choice of Sandbox levels.

For Sandbox levels below that of Full V, a supplemental AV will be useful. If you had asked this question before June, I would have said that even the Untrusted sandbox setting would have been adequate, but with the advent of the newer Critoni class encryptors it has been shown (somewhere or other in Virus Exchange) that Critoni will get past this setting and totally boink your files (Comodo is apparently aware of this, as the current beta 8 has only two sandbox settings, Enabled- which is Full V, and Disabled).

So, assume you install CF version 7 with sandbox at Full V and run a malicious file- the file will then be either detected by the Cloud or shunted off to the virtual directory. Any spawn or processes (like malware calling up the default browser, for instance) will also be virtualized and therefore oblivious to your actual system. The point here being does it really matter that a supplementary AV (or HIPS) detects things occurring in a Virtual drive? For examples from today, see: http://malwaretips.com/threads/2014-09-27-4.34196/#post-268557

Adding an AV to CF running at Full V won't hurt anything, but really is of dubious value.

ps- DON'T use CF 8 beta. The beta sandbox has a flaw.

Reactions: NSG001

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks.

I would advise to use CFW with a good AV. Now my favorite combo is CFW + 360 IS.

R

rocky

I think it just depends on how much confidence you have in Comodo Firewall. I have it set so firewall auto blocks. I don't grant elevated privileges to installers. Sandbox on F.V. I have only seen it sandbox a couple installations I have tried. I deleted the sandbox. It wasn't worth a chance to me. If you start second guessing and going around it you probably better have a antivirus. I run it with Adguard and feel safer and more informed than I did with KIS. This is just my unqualified opinion.

Reactions: Davidov

Chippel

Level 1
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I don't know why people think you still need 3rd party firewalls when windows firewall is more than enough.

Have you ever thought about the possibility to use Comodo Firewall as a behavior blocker? AVs won't catch all Malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.