Do we really need Registry Cleaners? Yes, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/do-we-really-need-windows-registry-cleaners.htm

techsupportalert.com said:
Conclusion
YES, registry cleaners do make a difference but NO they do not normally make much difference. In fact the impact of registry cleaning was often less than the margin of error in my tests. It was consistent and measurable on my test systems but at an average around 1% it is close enough to zero. I found that Windows XP users have other options that will have a much greater impact on their Windows performance. These are obvious things like the amount of physical memory or the number and type of applications, services and drivers installed on your computer.

icon_2rightarrow.png
If you are in a hurry then go straight to the results

An interesting read with test results for those who are interested....If you are having low physical memory you might consider using one, but still be cautious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ulikedat and Kent

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Interesting. I clean mine but also do very regular backups just in case.

Reactions: Ulikedat

Mere

Level 2
Verified
Sep 30, 2014
Yes you should install registry cleaner. Your computer will run better and faster.

ا

الشمس

Yes you should install registry cleaner. Your computer will run better and faster.

really :confused: 1 wrong registry key deleted & your computer will not even crawl forget running.

the disk clean up & defragmenter utilities built in to windows know what is best for your computer rather than

3rd party cleaner & defragmenters.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
really :confused: 1 wrong registry key deleted & your computer will not even crawl forget running.

the disk clean up & defragmenter utilities built in to windows know what is best for your computer rather than

3rd party cleaner & defragmenters.

This is where backups are important. The registry cleaners these days are really advanced and tested to the core, while you stay away from the Deep scan feature, you're not going to face any problems.

This is a common misconception, unless you're still using XP with limited RAM :D Check the article I posted above.

Reactions: Ulikedat and Kent

titan1

Level 1
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
I think the registry cleaner included in CCleaner is pretty good,and doesn't do any harm.It cleans the registry as much safely as at can.I don't use registry cleaners other than this one.

breathejustice

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
My laptop was operated by Windows 8.0, and has been upgraded into 8.1
Then it was very slow because RAM is 4GB, and cpu clock is 1.4GHz (No turbo mode)
After registry cleaning using norton utilites, my laptop becomes faster than the previous...

But, if you computer clock is more than 3GHz and RAM is more than 6GB including video memory, registry cleaning may not be effective...

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I only tried a few Registry Cleaners. I first did research, and found ones that noone has complained of Windows screw ups afterward.

These are CCleaner, Wise Care and Auslogics. All 3 cleaners have a nice backup feature too, just in case.

These programs are safest, probably because they don't (deep scan) areas of the registry which handle your computers main functions, at worst you might delete keys of a software book or game, sorta thing. (a re-install or backup-restore will fix it) Auslogics finds the most keys of the three.

If you got a new computer or one of the newer Windows OS... DON'T BOTHER CLEANING THE REGISTRY. Probably no need to bother.

I have noticed a small improvement on one or two cleanings (after years of installing and removing programs) on WindowsXP ... but you'd be fine cleaning it "a few times a year".

I'm obsessive... and probably registry clean once a week. lol.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
My laptop was operated by Windows 8.0, and has been upgraded into 8.1
Then it was very slow because RAM is 4GB, and cpu clock is 1.4GHz (No turbo mode)
After registry cleaning using norton utilites, my laptop becomes faster than the previous...

But, if you computer clock is more than 3GHz and RAM is more than 6GB including video memory, registry cleaning may not be effective...

could you explain me that? i dont think that cpu or memory is tied with registry problems. Some times programs and updates form another OS may leave the system unstable, begining with the fact that some products are not compatible with newer versions, may be it was a broken key or dll that was causing the slowdown...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Registry cleaners are fine if the algorithm is been proved and tested to detect unnecessary invalid entries that are left during uninstallation of program. I agree that CCleaner does not provide deep scans cause it can show aggressive results that can result to troubles.

Last edited:

thetechguy

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
I like Auslogics Registry Cleaner and CCleaner for registry. I use Auslogics Registry Defrag as well. And I use their Disk Defrag on spinning HDD's too. For disk cleaning I use CCleaner with CCenhancer and BleachBit.

And anytime I remove a piece of software I religiously go through Program Files and Program Files x86, ProgramData, and all AppData (Local and Roaming especially) folders as I see that leftover pieces from old software causes the biggest slowdowns in Windows in these folders from my experience. I also go through the Services and Registry to check for leftover pieces. If it's an AV/IS, I'll check the LAN adapter settings for firewall drivers too. Very thorough. I use Revo too, but I still feel the need to check everything as leftover software bits really slow things down from my experience.

Ulikedat

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 20, 2014
Do we really need Registery Cleaners? Yes, but only if you uninstall alot of software to get rid of a bucketload of traces they leave behind in order to avoid conflicts with future installed software. Otherwise only PC Cleaners such as Crap Cleaner are required to delete pc activity/browsing/software installation traces but might be only usefull if you have a cheap system like me ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.