Advice Request Do you allow auto updates of your installed software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I'm curious, how do forum members manage the updating of their installed applications in Windows:

Do you allow the software to auto update itself?

Do you manually update software?

Do you use the (Windows) Firewall to control what can and can't access the internet for updates?

Currently I have firewall rules to allow most applications to check for updates obline but I'm wondering if this is good/bad/etc or if I should rather do this manually?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I do not allow auto-updates unless it's from repositories. (Like Heimdal)

Otherwise, auto-updating is disabled, every so often I run through update, and restart everything. Most stuff doesn't need updating much, and I also run a lot of portable apps and don't even have update processes running. I think I am a year back on Bleachbit for example, works fine!

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I never allow them (lesson learned), I update manually.

Cons:
  • Drivers: Windows 10 have a habit of updating my video driver which causes blue screen
  • Windows Update: I've experienced boot loops because of a faulty (as usual) Windows patch
  • Software: Sometimes I prefer older version of program specially if the update is buggy
For security software, I update them manually. I allow auto-updating of signatures

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Actually, if you can ensure your VPN has started running and then allow your OS/software to perform auto update then it'll be safer. This is especially true if you are a on-the-go user and surfing at public wifi hotspots to avoid MITM attacks. Or you can manually perform the update after your VPN has started running.

As for update causing system issue this is something you cannot avoid unless you are being made aware in the first place. So auto update or manual update is immaterial if you are ignorant of the issue that the update will cause to your system

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I also run a lot of portable apps

PortableApps is great for this. The application itself updates the portables. There is a wide variety of supported software including Revo and CCleaner and even Inkscape, LibreOffice, Eraser, TreeSizeFree and on and on. Great for a flash drive or backup drive...

I don't upgrade installed apps automatically. I usually wait to hear news of a version that contains significant improvements. Since I use many of the portable apps it hasn't been a problem for me. Just block all outbound app requests with Comodo and update the portables manually via the container. Most of the other apps I have are not age dependent, like Paragon backup and restore. It works with W7, so no problem. A good many of them were really good and there isn't even such a thing as an update for them. I like finding those type of apps such as SmartPower or VirtualClone or WinMerge (last updated 2013)...

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
PortableApps is great for this. The application itself updates the portables. There is a wide variety of supported software including Revo and CCleaner and even Inkscape, LibreOffice, Eraser, TreeSizeFree and on and on. Great for a flash drive or backup drive...

I don't upgrade installed apps automatically. I usually wait to hear news of a version that contains significant improvements. Since I use many of the portable apps it hasn't been a problem for me. Just block all outbound app requests with Comodo and update the portables manually via the container. Most of the other apps I have are not age dependent, like Paragon backup and restore. It works with W7, so no problem. A good many of them were really good and there isn't even such a thing as an update for them. I like finding those type of apps such as SmartPower or VirtualClone or WinMerge (last updated 2013)...

Same here. My solution is to zip PortableAppsUpdater.exe (backup) then delete PortableAppsUpdater.exe.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I use SUMo to check for updates for the installed software on my system, once a week. Their database is amazing and is the most extensive.

After checking for updates I individually go to the site to download the update. I don't do auto-updates. I want to know what's going on my system with the changelog.

Reactions: AtlBo and Electr0n

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Thanks for all the great feedback. What I have done is to start using SUMo to centrally manage updating of my installed apps. I have disabled autoupdating where possible in my installed apps but I have also disabled almost half of my Windows Firewall rules to prevent the apps from doing an auto update. The only rule I have to monitor/update my installed apps is for SUMo.

Reactions: AtlBo and Electr0n

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.