Do you like Heimdal Thor Premium Home?

What is your opinion of Heimdal Thor Premium Home?

• Total voters

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
I never tried Heimdal Thor Premium, but it seems intetesting in particular for prevention of ransomware, APT, AI, phishing protection, sandbox, backdoor inspection and automatic updates of installed software (this can be very important to prevent vulnerabilities).

Andrew3000

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
Can it replace my current AV (Windows defender security) and how does it compare to Kaspersky internet security?

I think it can replace windows defender, but I do not know yet well since it's just since I've been trying it recently. Unfortunately there are no laboratory tests of this product yet. A comparison with KIS I would not know how to do it.
P.S. It use the Avira engine (also the cloud).

You can find a recent review here: Security for everyone - Reviewing Heimdal Thor Premium Home | Digital Citizen

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I expected a lot as I liked the original Heimdal, but frankly I'm somewhat disappointed, the product still feels like an RC, the interface IMO is confusing, though not run it for a few weeks so things may have changed? It is on my other half's lapply though, but if I put Mint on it she may not notice? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew3000

Andrew3000

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
I expected a lot as I liked the original Heimdal, but frankly I'm somewhat disappointed, the product still feels like an RC, the interface IMO is confusing, though not run it for a few weeks so things may have changed? It is on my other half's lapply though, but if I put Mint on it she may not notice? :)

I've been trying only for 2 days so giving an opinion is not possible (although for now it is mostly positive). Yes, the idea is good and I approve that for now it still looks like a release candidate.

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I have several one- year keys around, and have used it On and Off few times. IMHO, not very impressive.
It appears to me as a DNS filter, and while a VPN is applied. It completely rendered useless.
Few positive notes to them thou---remarkable marketing skills and several awards on their belt.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thor Foresight- I use it and would never not have it. The DNS protection is important, the auto-updating works for the apps I need it for, and the web filtration picks up a lot of things most web filtration misses. I consider it a paramount layer and almost always recommend it to friends/family/co-workers. It sits quietly and doesn't consume much resources and doesn't slow anything down.

Thor Home Premium - Nope.. Not going to do it. No interest at all. I think they should have released two distinct products instead of shoehorning everyone into some mixed bag nonsense.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Thor Foresight- I use it and would never not have it. The DNS protection is important, the auto-updating works for the apps I need it for, and the web filtration picks up a lot of things most web filtration misses. I consider it a paramount layer and almost always recommend it to friends/family/co-workers. It sits quietly and doesn't consume much resources and doesn't slow anything down.

Thor Home Premium - Nope.. Not going to do it. No interest at all. I think they should have released two distinct products instead of shoehorning everyone into some mixed bag nonsense.

With which AVs & internet security suites does Thor foresight play well with ( is compatible with ) ?

rodrigopimpao

Level 1
Aug 2, 2018
ForgottenSeer 58943 nailed it. Thor Foresight works really well, they had done major improvements on their web filtration compared to its "predecessor" version, Heimdal PRO.
However, it is important to notice that Thor Foresight goes completely blind in web filtration when a VPN is activated. I found a discussion before saying that it should still inspect the traffic after being decrypted by the VPN client.
Thor Foresight once blocked an ads link, but after turning a VPN on, the link could be accessed. So, you either have to choose what you'll be using as Thor Foresight and VPN doesn't play well together.

I have to say, Thor Foresight works very well with ESET Smart Security Premium. I also have tried for a short period of time with Bitdefender and Kaspersky Internet Security and it went fine.

Thor Home Premium is Thor Foresight combined with Avira detection engine if I'm not mistaken. They just bundled them up and rebranded the solution, from Heimdal PRO (which is equivalent to Thor Foresight) to Thor something.

TheErzengel

Level 2
Verified
Dec 21, 2012
how to use Heimdal with VPN any of its products are completely useless on my pc.
I have two licenses to win thor foresight and just throw them away.

It's not worth it. get better Kaspersky free, comodo dns and sumo updater. E a free combo that gives a thousand kicks to its "premium" versions.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
how to use Heimdal with VPN any of its products are completely useless on my pc.
I have two licenses to win thor foresight and just throw them away.

It's not worth it. get better Kaspersky free, comodo dns and sumo updater. E a free combo that gives a thousand kicks to its "premium" versions.
doesn't kaspersky free have a vpn built in? i installed in at its inception on my father in laws computer. a week later, he was having connectivity problems. when i came over to investigate, as i recall, kaspersky had a vpn or proxy or dns or something it activated. i had to turn it off to fix the problem. is this still in the freeware version or did they remove it?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
ForgottenSeer 58943 nailed it. Thor Foresight works really well, they had done major improvements on their web filtration compared to its "predecessor" version, Heimdal PRO.
However, it is important to notice that Thor Foresight goes completely blind in web filtration when a VPN is activated. I found a discussion before saying that it should still inspect the traffic after being decrypted by the VPN client.
Thor Foresight once blocked an ads link, but after turning a VPN on, the link could be accessed. So, you either have to choose what you'll be using as Thor Foresight and VPN doesn't play well together.

I have to say, Thor Foresight works very well with ESET Smart Security Premium. I also have tried for a short period of time with Bitdefender and Kaspersky Internet Security and it went fine.

Thor Home Premium is Thor Foresight combined with Avira detection engine if I'm not mistaken. They just bundled them up and rebranded the solution, from Heimdal PRO (which is equivalent to Thor Foresight) to Thor something.
i suppose you could just turn on your heimdal for when you're going to do online transactions. it's likely a good idea to turn off your vpn when you're doing those anyway (unless you know a lot about the vpn company and you trust them with your financials). heimdal seems trustworthy, given it's german and established and markets itself for that purpose.

is heimdal easy to turn off and on? or does it mess up your connection when you play with it?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.