Do you really believe that what you believe is really real?

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Interesting quote from the movie the "Truth Project".

"Do you really believe that what you believe is really real?"

Far from discriminating people by religion or thoughts, do you trully believe in what you practice? Can you really affirm that your thought is true and you're not living it by fear or just to make sure to get access to "eternal life", if believe so? Are your convictions so firm on your beliefs that you have no doubts and you give in to your faith or thoughts?

I'm wide open to hearing you from a logic robot point of view :)

Buy the Truth Project DVD: The Truth Project

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
<< do you trully believe in what you practice? Can you really affirm that your thought is true and you're not living it by fear or just to make sure to get access to "eternal life">>

Access to eternal life is pretty much a religious topic. Beliefs not as much but many people do associate that to religion.
I'm afraid we are skating on thin ice here.

@RoboMan, it is a fascinating topic, I often wondered myself, but I see no way to elaborate on here without my posts being deleted.

Regards.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Religion doesn't have to be brought up. Discussion on knowledge can be epistemological, you know. :)

Knowledge is justified true belief. If what you have is only a belief, it's an opinion until it is justified, meaning that it has reasons. So, does one really believe that what one believes is really real? Let's put it this way: I believe (or don't?) that my belief is real.

The answer now depends on how far he/she gives reasons for his/her beliefs. Reasoning may stop at a certain truth (but what is truth, by the way?). Or it may stop at a system of inter-related reasoning. Or reasoning may not stop (the further, the better).

I like St. Anselm's motto "faith seeking understanding." I have faith, but this faith seeks to understand (giving reasons). I know, this is already a bit religious. :p

Last edited:

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
The questions of the OP is about beliefs, not knowledge.
@XhenEd, I agree with you that knowledge can be epistemological o_O, but then again what is understood as knowledge, or to know, it is not always the truth. What was once believed as factual has been disproved in so many fields.
I like your last paragraph.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
The questions of the OP is about beliefs, not knowledge.
@XhenEd, I agree with you that knowledge can be epistemological o_O, but then again what is understood as knowledge, or to know, it is not always the truth. What was once believed as factual has been disproved in so many fields.
I like your last paragraph.
Truth and knowledge are not entirely the same. Knowledge depends on human capacity, but truth isn't. It's the same with facts. "Facts" are not the truth. That's why a factual knowledge now may not be the truth in the future because it's disproved.

Belief and knowledge are connected. If I merely say that I believe that my belief is true, then fine. But is it enough to just affirm my belief without offering reasons? When I start offering reasons, that's when my belief may be justified and be elevated to the level of knowledge. I might be able to finally say that I have knowledge that my belief is true. :)

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
OK then.
For many years I followed the tenets X, because they where the beliefs I was born into, sometime out of love, sometime out of fear, sometime out of guilt. Then I questioned it and I found tenets X to be wanting, not necessarily wrong. I spent many years studying and following a different path. I was certain I was following that out of conviction.
My answer is, there was and is lot of love, some fear even guilt still by following this path, though I'm convinced that I'm on track.
To me human life is a school, the goal of life is to pass the final test. It is not over until is over.
The OP touched on a very profound subject indeed.

Last edited:

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
What is real to me, is not necessarily real to you; our reality is determined by social context and our habitus. Furthermore, don't we enter different realities during our day? We don't engage in the same reality while we're dreaming, day-dreaming, driving to our workplace or watching movie in theater. While the reality of our dreams belongs only to us, our everyday reality is constructed by interaction with others who share it.

Edit:
I forgot to mention there that faith and religion are two different concepts; religion is exclusively social institution and often people are simply born into religion of their parents. The sacred symbolization is embedded in the fabric of collective consciousness and people often accept it without much questioning. Even though individual religiosity is more present now in the contemporary postmodern world through, for example, patchwork religion.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.