Do you see a benefit in Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware?Or

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,;)

My question, is do you see a benefit in Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware along side of your AV
or security software?

Or is better off using Emsisoft Emergency Kit as a second opinion scanner? Which is better
at detection of mal-ware?

The new Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware Beta seem to be improving below.

MBAM:
https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/gx8wkkgk089ldq0kgcvd
http://malwaretips.com/threads/malwarebytes-anti-malware-2-0-3-release-candidate-1.34591/
  • id: MBAM2BETA
  • key: 4XZHE-6ANRN-TKWCV-EV6HZ-G79PH

Your thoughts and opinions?:confused:

Kind regards,
:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For home use, it really does depend on the PC user. Personally, I don't use MBAM anymore, I see no benefit from having it installed on my PC, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend it to others. I do however, plan to install ESET Online Scanner soon, which I may run once a month, or if I'm scanning malware packs, post-Windows Defender.

For commercial use, I have no comment.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
right now i have eset nod32 7 and mbam free but i"m using mbam only once a week just to be sure that my system is clean. i see no reason right now to add another scanner even if it's better in detection(EEK seems to have a small advantage) ,if i get an infection maybe i will;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Moose, I'd wondered the very same thing as I've had the free MBAM since joining MT.
MBAM is a great asset as a secondary scanner whether or not you use others. Most recently, it served me well, & found PUPs (Open Candy) on a free downloaded app.;)

Nico@FMA & his team have also developed a new secondary malware scanner soon to be available (maybe even today!).:cool: Read & keep updated about it here: http://malwaretips.com/threads/cbad-cloud-antimalware-2014.34779/page-3

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Regarding MBAM's protection against potentially unwanted programs, I appreciate their strong stand against this kind of software. However I have to disagree with their method of detection. PUPs are usually bundled with legitimate software and MBAM will flag the whole installer because of this. Emsisoft on the other hand has a much smarter approach. If an installer is bundled with a PUP and you forget to uncheck its installation, Emsisoft will let the legitimate part install and block the PUP part. That's how it should be done.

Reactions: Moose

titan1

Level 1
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
MBAM is unparalleled for me.EEK is prone to produce false positives.I use it only for emergency cases.that means when everything fails then EEK and ESET online scan is my last resort.MBAM and hitman pro finds almost anything.

Reactions: Moose

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
After thinking thing over for a couple of day.
Here are some positives about Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware.

> Malwarebtyes Anti-malware is a complement to an existing Anti-viruses, but not a substitute for one.
> Score high at cleaning!
> Few false positives.
> Detect Cryptolocker and various Ransomware.
> PUP's detection
> Daily updates.
> Simple interface.
> New Beta Version working
> Play nice with other security software

Thank you for answers and details

Kind regards,
;)

G

Guest28

I am lucky i got the malwarebytes life-time key when i did. I am protected by malwarebytes real time for good and never have to spend 1 penny.

Rus Anca

Level 25
Verified
Jun 18, 2014
I am lucky i got the malwarebytes life-time key when i did. I am protected by malwarebytes real time for good and never have to spend 1 penny.
Attention !
" Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO licenses (purchased prior to 3/24/2014) are valid for an entire lifetime and require no renewal.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium licenses (purchased after 3/24/2014) are valid for one year after the purchase date"

Source
:https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/h...-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-license-valid-for-

Reactions: VirusAttak

DanielN

Nov 14, 2014
I guess it all depends on the user and what kinds of things you do on your computer, how careful you are etc. I use MBAM and have never had to go opt for the paid version. For me, running a weekly scan on MBAM seems to do the job. I am very careful with what I click on and stuff though. Having said that, it's also important to have some layering. I use other software alongside it though.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As MBAM being on demand scanners does job well in detecting sophisticated threats.

Simple interface and complete feature. For realtime protection component well its fine however different approach type so an AV alongside is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.