Security software licensing?

• Total voters
Hi there:)

Firstly apologies for the title it should have read:-

Do you still buy annual renewable, or lifetime security software, or rely on freeware?

I am very interested in hearing about what you think regarding this:) My own preference is to use freeware first, then buy a lifetime option whenever possible!

For example, I like VoodooShield - Currently I am using the freeware version. If they offered lifetime licenses at a fair price, I would have already purchased for sure! I am waiting to see if they do sometime this year. If they don't then I may well buy the lifetime license from NoVirusThanks ERP as it also is a good whitelister and probably continue to use the freeware VoodooShield.

I very rarely buy annual renewable licenses anymore, as many Companies now offer lifetime options re purchasing. Furthermore there are many unlimited 6 month/12 month and longer Giveaways for security software. I do think software creators not having a lifetime option for their apps, may mean that they will lose business to competitors offering similar deals with a lifetime alternative!

I always like to trial the freeware option first for any software, or maybe 30 day trials, etc. If I like the app, then I will buy a lifetime option when available, as I feel that this supports the developer. I also like to leave constructive positive reviews when applicable on different web sites, as this again adds further support for the product.

Perhaps some developers may feel that when a lifetime option is purchased they won't get more business from the customer. To me this is a blinkered view, as the chances are that the developer will have new products to offer in the future and build up a large customer base in advance with loyal, supportive customers.

Howard

Last edited:

venustus

Level 44
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
The way I am with security solutions,should read "neurotic about changing security solutions":p:p,I only rarely buy lifetime.Yearly is what I normally do.If the software is being actively developed and is "best in class" I may be tempted into getting a lifetime licence,but even then very rarely!!:D:)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
I only buy some very good products:-

Regular Subscription:
1) EAM/EIS x 4: for whole family at least 4-5 years subscription that brings down the cost/yr substantially. Buy it because of BB.
2) Voodooshield: 2 years license.
3) Appguard: Annual license.

Lifetime:
4) WFC: $10 for lifetime on multiple pc. Can't argue that.
5) SD x 2: My life-saver
6) SB x 3: My life-saver

I only buy some very good products:-

Regular Subscription:
1) EAM/EIS x 4: for whole family at least 4-5 years subscription that brings down the cost/yr substantially. Buy it because of BB.
2) Voodooshield: 2 years license.
3) Appguard: Annual license.

Lifetime:
4) WFC: $10 for lifetime on multiple pc. Can't argue that.
5) SD x 2: My life-saver
6) SB x 3: My life-saver
I have read some good reports about WFC - I agree that noone can argue about the lifetime $10 - I am considering donating that to Binisoft as it would appear from what I read that the software is compatible with Windows Firewall. Updates seem to be regular also:)

Mr.Wave

Level 17
Hi there:)

Firstly apologies for the title it should have read:-

Do you still buy annual renewable, or lifetime security software, or rely on freeware?

I am very interested in hearing about what you think regarding this:) My own preference is to use freeware first, then buy a lifetime option whenever possible!

For example, I like VoodooShield - Currently I am using the freeware version. If they offered lifetime licenses at a fair price, I would have already purchased for sure! I am waiting to see if they do sometime this year. If they don't then I may well buy the lifetime license from NoVirusThanks ERP as it also is a good whitelister and probably continue to use the freeware VoodooShield.

I very rarely buy annual renewable licenses anymore, as many Companies now offer lifetime options re purchasing. Furthermore there are many unlimited 6 month/12 month and longer Giveaways for security software. I do think software creators not having a lifetime option for their apps, may mean that they will lose business to competitors offering similar deals with a lifetime alternative!

I always like to trial the freeware option first for any software, or maybe 30 day trials, etc. If I like the app, then I will buy a lifetime option when available, as I feel that this supports the developer. I also like to leave constructive positive reviews when applicable on different web sites, as this again adds further support for the product.

Perhaps some developers may feel that when a lifetime option is purchased they won't get more business from the customer. To me this is a blinkered view, as the chances are that the developer will have new products to offer in the future and build up a large customer base in advance with loyal, supportive customers.

Howard
hello howard! If you buy 3 years worth of voodooshield pro license , Dan the develloper will ad a couple of 100 years to that subscription , so basically it will then turn into a lifetime software ;) I asked him personally about this when I was beta testing for voodooshield :p

roger_m

Level 22
Verified
Content Creator
the last lifetime license I have bought recently was for Internet Download manager! not a secuity software , but worth the money for sure imho ( do not leave home without it! :D )
That's a very good program. I recently bought a lifetime license of Download Accelerator Manager, which is similar to IDM, as it was cheaper than IDM. There is also a free version of DAM, unlike IDM.

hello howard! If you buy 3 years worth of voodooshield pro license , Dan the develloper will ad a couple of 100 years to that subscription , so basically it will then turn into a lifetime software ;) I asked him personally about this when I was beta testing for voodooshield :p
For sure that would be of interest to me Trickster - I see the 3 year license is discounted by 20%, so that would be about $48 - If I got that lifetime confirmation from Dan for $48 I would purchase right away. It is good that you beta tested VoodooShield.

If you are speaking to Dan please let him know my interest. I have beta tested software in the past and plan to do so again for some new games! Thanks for letting me know that information:)

I used to buy a yearly security licence each year, but I must admit just lately I have been using some of the software from the awesome giveaways here at MalwareTips. :)
I love Giveaways and competitions frogboy. Having said that with my luck in competitions, if I won $100 worth of software it would probably only be useable on the original BBC B computer which I don't have xd:)

K

KGBagent47

I like paid because after a while the advertisement and solicitation to upgrade the freeware annoys me.
Plus I'm just fascinated by this software and like to try the different kinds so the idea of spending a SMALL amount of money on them doesn't bother me.