Do you still buy annual renewable security/lifetime software, or rely on freeware?

Security software licensing?

• Total voters

HowardEngland

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2016
Hi there:)

Firstly apologies for the title it should have read:-

Do you still buy annual renewable, or lifetime security software, or rely on freeware?

I am very interested in hearing about what you think regarding this:) My own preference is to use freeware first, then buy a lifetime option whenever possible!

For example, I like VoodooShield - Currently I am using the freeware version. If they offered lifetime licenses at a fair price, I would have already purchased for sure! I am waiting to see if they do sometime this year. If they don't then I may well buy the lifetime license from NoVirusThanks ERP as it also is a good whitelister and probably continue to use the freeware VoodooShield.

I very rarely buy annual renewable licenses anymore, as many Companies now offer lifetime options re purchasing. Furthermore there are many unlimited 6 month/12 month and longer Giveaways for security software. I do think software creators not having a lifetime option for their apps, may mean that they will lose business to competitors offering similar deals with a lifetime alternative!

I always like to trial the freeware option first for any software, or maybe 30 day trials, etc. If I like the app, then I will buy a lifetime option when available, as I feel that this supports the developer. I also like to leave constructive positive reviews when applicable on different web sites, as this again adds further support for the product.

Perhaps some developers may feel that when a lifetime option is purchased they won't get more business from the customer. To me this is a blinkered view, as the chances are that the developer will have new products to offer in the future and build up a large customer base in advance with loyal, supportive customers.

Howard

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The way I am with security solutions,should read "neurotic about changing security solutions":p:p,I only rarely buy lifetime.Yearly is what I normally do.If the software is being actively developed and is "best in class" I may be tempted into getting a lifetime licence,but even then very rarely!!:D:)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I only buy some very good products:-

Regular Subscription:
1) EAM/EIS x 4: for whole family at least 4-5 years subscription that brings down the cost/yr substantially. Buy it because of BB.
2) Voodooshield: 2 years license.
3) Appguard: Annual license.

Lifetime:
4) WFC: $10 for lifetime on multiple pc. Can't argue that.
5) SD x 2: My life-saver
6) SB x 3: My life-saver

HowardEngland

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2016
I only buy some very good products:-

Regular Subscription:
1) EAM/EIS x 4: for whole family at least 4-5 years subscription that brings down the cost/yr substantially. Buy it because of BB.
2) Voodooshield: 2 years license.
3) Appguard: Annual license.

Lifetime:
4) WFC: $10 for lifetime on multiple pc. Can't argue that.
5) SD x 2: My life-saver
6) SB x 3: My life-saver

I have read some good reports about WFC - I agree that noone can argue about the lifetime $10 - I am considering donating that to Binisoft as it would appear from what I read that the software is compatible with Windows Firewall. Updates seem to be regular also:)

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Hi there:)

Firstly apologies for the title it should have read:-

Do you still buy annual renewable, or lifetime security software, or rely on freeware?

I am very interested in hearing about what you think regarding this:) My own preference is to use freeware first, then buy a lifetime option whenever possible!

For example, I like VoodooShield - Currently I am using the freeware version. If they offered lifetime licenses at a fair price, I would have already purchased for sure! I am waiting to see if they do sometime this year. If they don't then I may well buy the lifetime license from NoVirusThanks ERP as it also is a good whitelister and probably continue to use the freeware VoodooShield.

I very rarely buy annual renewable licenses anymore, as many Companies now offer lifetime options re purchasing. Furthermore there are many unlimited 6 month/12 month and longer Giveaways for security software. I do think software creators not having a lifetime option for their apps, may mean that they will lose business to competitors offering similar deals with a lifetime alternative!

I always like to trial the freeware option first for any software, or maybe 30 day trials, etc. If I like the app, then I will buy a lifetime option when available, as I feel that this supports the developer. I also like to leave constructive positive reviews when applicable on different web sites, as this again adds further support for the product.

Perhaps some developers may feel that when a lifetime option is purchased they won't get more business from the customer. To me this is a blinkered view, as the chances are that the developer will have new products to offer in the future and build up a large customer base in advance with loyal, supportive customers.

Howard

hello howard! If you buy 3 years worth of voodooshield pro license , Dan the develloper will ad a couple of 100 years to that subscription , so basically it will then turn into a lifetime software ;) I asked him personally about this when I was beta testing for voodooshield :p

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Mainly I use freeware apps, but I also use some good giveaways and friend's gifts :)
Necessarily a few years ago, I had to buy Magix SOS Video recorder to convert some old home movies on videotape by saving them on HDD.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
the last lifetime license I have bought recently was for Internet Download manager! not a secuity software , but worth the money for sure imho ( do not leave home without it! :D )
That's a very good program. I recently bought a lifetime license of Download Accelerator Manager, which is similar to IDM, as it was cheaper than IDM. There is also a free version of DAM, unlike IDM.

HowardEngland

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2016
hello howard! If you buy 3 years worth of voodooshield pro license , Dan the develloper will ad a couple of 100 years to that subscription , so basically it will then turn into a lifetime software ;) I asked him personally about this when I was beta testing for voodooshield :p

For sure that would be of interest to me Trickster - I see the 3 year license is discounted by 20%, so that would be about $48 - If I got that lifetime confirmation from Dan for $48 I would purchase right away. It is good that you beta tested VoodooShield.

If you are speaking to Dan please let him know my interest. I have beta tested software in the past and plan to do so again for some new games! Thanks for letting me know that information:)

HowardEngland

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2016
I used to buy a yearly security licence each year, but I must admit just lately I have been using some of the software from the awesome giveaways here at MalwareTips. :)

I love Giveaways and competitions frogboy. Having said that with my luck in competitions, if I won $100 worth of software it would probably only be useable on the original BBC B computer which I don't have xd:)

K

KGBagent47

I like paid because after a while the advertisement and solicitation to upgrade the freeware annoys me.
Plus I'm just fascinated by this software and like to try the different kinds so the idea of spending a SMALL amount of money on them doesn't bother me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.