Do you think HTTPS Everywhere is absolutely essential ?

Do you think HTTPS Everywhere is absolutely essential ?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

KaptainBug

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Just as the title says, do you think HTTPS Everywhere is a must have extension ? These days almost all email clients, banking sites, cloud apps etc., are by default SSL encrypted. Do you think there is any benefit in installing this extension ? I'm trying to minimize the number of addons on my browser, hence asking you guys for your opinion.

I

illumination

Just as the title says, do you think HTTPS Everywhere is a must have extension ? These days almost all email clients, banking sites, cloud apps etc., are by default SSL encrypted. Do you think there is any benefit in installing this extension ? I'm trying to minimize the number of addons on my browser, hence asking you guys for your opinion.
Answered your own question in your statement :) I have not used it in some time, for the same reason.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
In my (humble) opinion, it's akin to buying "organic" vegetables. Supporting an organization's cause is good & well, but not all... Organic avocados cost more, but there truly is no substantial difference between organic or non-organic except all the over ripe organic avocados that get:eek: thrown away after no one buys them because of their higher price. Supporting higher octane in a high performance engine, imo, is worth it. Hey, it's a lot like choosing AVs, right?:rolleyes: Although I checked 'NO', I'll keep it if it doesn't use noticeable resources. On the other hand, if it's even a small part of the reason behind why Firefox stalls on this Windows 8.1, some HTTPS EVERWHERE extension heads are going to roll!:mad: (j/k);):) :p

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
While HTTPS everywhere has its uses i venture to say that you can without it.
If you just browse legit sites from a respectable source HTTPs E is only going to soak up resources.
Now do not get me wrong ok, it is another layer of security but if you run a nice I-Security pack with some common sense and proper habits then you do not need it.
I personally have never used it because my habits are providing me with much more protection the HTTPs E ever could.
On the other hand if you feel you need it please do so.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Interesting to see, that so far 62.5% of them opted for 'No', but then I see many of them do recommend this addon in security configuration wizard thread :p
This falls directly under my bacon & beer principle. Most of us may not need another cold beer, or that extra slice of flavorful bacon;:oops: & yet, even so,:eek: we want it, and therefore we have it!!!;):p Hm,o_O from now on I'm going to call this my "Bacon, Beer, & Bloated system Theory".:D

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
I don't know if it's "essential" but I do think it is useful and thus employ it.

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
To be fair, there isn't (and shouldn't be) an extension which is "essential". Sure, some are more useful than others, but day-to-day operation is still possible without them. :)

KaptainBug

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
To be fair, there isn't (and shouldn't be) an extension which is "essential". Sure, some are more useful than others, but day-to-day operation is still possible without them. :)
If you ask me, I would say ABP/ABE or some kind of adblocker is essential. Yesterday I tried to browse without adblock only for 10 mins and already there were 3-4 pop-ups with some videos running in background. :eek:

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.