Advice Request Do you think that Desktop PC's will cease to exist, due to smartphones?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you think that Desktop PC's will cease to exist, due to smartphones?

• Yes

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • No

Votes: 61 93.8%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Not in my world.

I use my phone as a phone, some texts and emails, occasionally browse the web but its a pain on a phone.

I use my desktop for banking, some shopping, browsing and information.

I watch tv and/or stream on my 65 inch set and would not watch on something as small as a phone or even my 27 monitor on my desktop.

Desktops will never disappear, lots game on them. But as society gets dumber more will just use their phone.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
No. Especially when many people already have 4K hardware and monitors/TVs, and you know it's not cheap. It's investments. Unless someone invents a portable 27 inch 8K screen that plugs into your phone and then folds to the size of a hanky when you're done using it, I'm cool with what I've got--for now at least.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I believe, in a future, when foldable technology is much more polish and worked out, rather than foldable phones we will be looking at foldable all-in-one devices, probably tablet-size, which will be the new PC+phone. The power, hardware and OS of a desktop PC, with the capabilities of a mobile phone, foldable to your pocket. This is, I think, what it will be like.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
Desktops are great for CPU/GPU intensive work (i.e., multiple VMs, GNS3, etc.). Even with mobile workstations, you're still sacrificing some performance for portability.

Smartphones can't handle stuff like this. Run a game on a phone for a while, you'll notice it will start to throttle, heat up, and performance suffers. The heat also will kill the overall battery health. Desktops have better thermal/cooling options, better sustained performance, and don't rely on batteries since they are always plugged in.

We're a long ways from replacing the desktop in my opinion.

SCPdesign

Oct 24, 2019
Heck no! I hope not! I can't image coding, major gaming or any lengthy reading for hours on end with these teeeny-tiny devices. I have an iPad Pro and I find it too intrusive. Apple is constantly trying to tell me that I want to do this and not that. Makes for a very frustrating experience. Long live the desktop computer! Need to learn Linux though. I miss DOS and Windows For Workgroups. They just worked. <wink>

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
What you can't do with your smartphone is to immerse yourself in your work.
For example, a smartphone is a living room TV. The desktop PC is a movie theater. Perhaps even if there is a change in market share, I don't think the demand for pc will disappear.
In my personal view, smartphones are absolutely disadvantageous in that you cannot handle the hardware parts yourself.;)

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Smartphone will replace nothing, they are complements. I sync my phone and my laptops.

However for basic uses (surfing, emailing, chatting, watching vids, etc...) tablets and some big phones already replaced laptops, and laptops will replace desktops.

I don't have used any desktops since a decade, all my machines are laptops since. They are as powerful as desktops and mobile.

Most Desktops I see are now cheap office machines or high-end hardcore gaming systems (even my past gaming "coworkers" now use powerful laptops as gaming rigs when going to average class competitions/events).

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I believe the next step in the smartphone world is "smartphone > PC monitor = smartphone/PC". I thought it was a great idea to merge something everyone has into something useful for school, office work, etc., without being too gimmicky. Similar to what Microsoft tried:

Or maybe the PC market will move more towards All-in-One or Laptops (I've noticed Laptops seem to be on the rise, but I still don't personally like to use them...I don't travel though)? IDK.

Most of my consumer clients don't need my tech services anymore because all of the family are using mobile devices more. Hell, even 5 year old kids are getting new $1k Iphones and don't even desire Laptops or PCs, unless it is anything Apple then they jump for joy.

I voted NO though because PCs, servers, etc. will always have a use for many years to come, but will see a steady decrease in use among consumers, unless they are gaming (which is a niche market) or using PCs for business.

My opinion is of course bias towards where I live.

So I guess to sum up a long post haha, I would say:

Desktop PCs - steady decline, unless business use or gaming.
Laptops - steady increase
All-in-ones - slight increase
Anything mobile - higher amount of adoption

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I believe the next step in the smartphone world is "smartphone > PC monitor = smartphone/PC". I thought it was a great idea to merge something everyone has into something useful for school, office work, etc., without being too gimmicky. Similar to what Microsoft tried:

continuum was awesome, pity Windows Phones came too late and failed and i couldn't find a reseller selling the dock for my 950XL

Or maybe the PC market will move more towards All-in-One or Laptops (I've noticed Laptops seem to be on the rise, but I still don't personally like to use them...I don't travel though)? IDK.
i have two 18+ inch laptops, they works beautifully as Desktop replacements, one is Win10 , the other is Linux MX.

Most of my consumer clients don't need my tech services anymore because all of the family are using mobile devices more. Hell, even 5 year old kids are getting new $1k Iphones and don't even desire Laptops or PCs, unless it is anything Apple then they jump for joy.
Same reason i left the business, since internet they don't requires my services to fix stuff or have a techie friend. Most repair guys now are MSPs rather than "the guy we call to fix stuff".

I voted NO though because PCs, servers, etc. will always have a use for many years to come, but will see a steady decrease in use among consumers, unless they are gaming (which is a niche market) or using PCs for business.
I voted no for the same reasons.

My opinion is of course bias towards where I live.
indeed rich countries users prefer to buy laptops, poor ones still buy low end desktops with winXP/7

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
IMO, no. The reason being desktop PC can have very powerful processors and systems which the smartphones can't have.

Likely the tablets will fade away as more smartphones become foldables like having 2 or more folds instead of the current single fold design or just simply a slab

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Likely the tablets will fade away as more smartphones become foldables like having 2 or more folds instead of the current single fold design or just simply a slab
IMO, foldable phones are at the moment just horribly expensive gadgets for wealthy people. They are not even close as convenient as a good ol tablet. i rather buy a 200$ 10 inch tablet (where i can read PDF and watch movies comfortably without being afraid of dropping it on the floor) + a very good 1000$ high end smartphone + a mid-end laptop, than those 2000$ foldable phones.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, miniaturization has everything to do with it. The battery is "currently" a limiting factor. I posted this elsewhere but look at the specifications of this desktop. Yes, that became 768 GB of RAM and 4 Titan gpus if you read farther into the thread. How can you mash this awesome power down to phone or tablet size in our lifetimes? Long live choices and variety ! Can we humans be content with only zooming in on puny phone screens when we see our world in panoramic view, with surround sound--since birth. Unless, again, we have portable large screens or implants in our skulls with our personal clouds hanging around us.

Nice topic, thanks bribon77! (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.