Do you think this is a good PC for home use?

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
For office use is good. I would buy 16gb of ram and SSD. Don't buy pc without ssd.

SSD hard drivers are cheap these days

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You can search online for more info about the CPU/GPU, here's something:

[URL="http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-zen-vega-cpu-gpu,5467.html[/URL]"]www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-zen-vega-cpu-gpu,5467.html[/URL]

Perhaps for performance improvement, you can consider a small SSD for your OS and use the HDD for storage. 8 GB generic RAM and power supply? Prob. budget or no-name. :unsure: Note the 30 day return and optional/additional 2 yr. warranty. It can run lower end games even so. Otherwise, for light-moderate computing, why not?

I would look at it like adopting an 11 year old dog into your home: should be overall fine but handle with a little care.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
For generic home use, I would go down the Laptop route.

Can you elaborate how you plan to use this PC? What kind of software will you be using, it's main purpose etc.
i want to connect a desktop PC to a 43" smart tv for an immersive experience. i have about 45GB on my present PC.

i shop, email, watch youtube and read on my PC.

Reactions: Weebarra and AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If it's a desktop you can use an always-connected external hard drive for extra storage. Or use network attached storage.
But there is no replacement for an SSD. If you can, get one, and install your OS and programs on it. It doesn't have to be big and expensive. The worst SSD is several times faster than the best HDD.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
It looks like a decent system for the $$.

Normally I'd never recommend buying a built computer from somebody not local.... resolving issues could be very problematic. If you or somebody you know built it, that would be one thing. A stranger.... hmmmm...

I see that his eBay rating is perfect though...

But I still would not buy it. I'd still go with a brand name. They build 10's of thousands of units and tend to get the kinks worked out..

For home use, I like a nice desktop PC over a laptop just for the advantage of a large monitor. And, desktop computers can have more power and more features. Desktop computers often are easier, and less expensive, to upgrade.

Do you live near a Fry's or Costco?

Reactions: Weebarra and AtlBo

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
It looks like a decent system for the $$.

Normally I'd never recommend buying a built computer from somebody not local.... resolving issues could be very problematic. If you or somebody you know built it, that would be one thing. A stranger.... hmmmm...

I see that his eBay rating is perfect though...

But I still would not buy it. I'd still go with a brand name. They build 10's of thousands of units and tend to get the kinks worked out..

For home use, I like a nice desktop PC over a laptop just for the advantage of a large monitor. And, desktop computers can have more power and more features. Desktop computers often are easier, and less expensive, to upgrade.

Do you live near a Fry's or Costco?
i bought a lenovo. it had a bad installation of windows.

i live near a best buy, walmart and target.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
There are tons of video on Youtube show you. You can purchase the parts and bring it to the computer repair shop to have them build it for a small fees.

It's not hard to build a system. @SumTingWong is correct, there are many videos for "budget builds". You might be surprised at the deals you can find looking at the videos and reading the details posted by the uploader.

Only reason I wouldn't buy this computer is that the copy of Windows is unactivated. Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I wouldn't like getting the notification to activate Windows.

I have had very good fortune buying used computers on ebay that have the working Windows key on the box. When the dealer says the key works, I trust them. At least I have high confidence that he/she didn't sell the key to someone or something. In 11 computers so far, no problems with ebay computer sellers at all, not even a single hardware problem.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
If you want to connect your TV as a monitor, I would consider getting a machine with a discrete GPU. I agree with SumTingWong--order the parts and bring it to a local store or even BestBuy for assembly. An example, which costs 200 dollars more but maybe you get the idea. Plus, this one seems less flimsy and without mystery parts:

This doesn't mean a PC like this is intended for gaming but who knows, maybe you'll want that flexibility in the future. You can also consult with Best Buy personnel and see what parts you can order and what is in stock, plus how much it'll cost to put together. I doubt it will be the same cost as the Ebay one, prob. a little more. Also, I shy away from putting everything on one drive, in rare cases of drive failure or ransomware or whatever.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
i bought a lenovo. it had a bad installation of windows.

i live near a best buy, walmart and target.

Hopefully you were able to return the Lenovo.

Maybe you should look at slickdeals.net, and find a great deal on a known brand with a good return policy. The 'group think' there can lead you to the best deals.

Take a look at this one that is currently featured there. You probably won't be able to get it in your Best Buy, but is has free shipping and you can return it to your local Best Buy if there is an issue. Oops.... it's from Newegg. Don't let some of the comments in the thread throw you off. Overall, it gets 5 thumbs up. And that's a tough group to please over there..

i don't know how to build a PC.

i don't have room to build it. my sister is a hoarder.

Oh wow, what an interesting challenge for you.... your sister being a hoarder. I hope she gets help for that. That can lead to a lonely life.

And you don't need to build a PC. Some people just don't want to do that.... and that's fine.

Your Buddy,

-Burrito

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.