Advice Request Do you trust your VPN/Do you believe they keep logs & why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do I trust VPNs?

• Trust my VPN

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Don't Trust my VPN

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Don't care if they log me

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I'm paranoid

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
There are three options possible but a combination of more than one is possible. I will go with choice number 1.
  1. I trust my vpn
  2. I don't care if they log me
  3. I am an idiot

Just a simple Q&A to see if people trust their VPN provider. Has inspiration about these questions from another thread.

~LDogg

A lot of VPNs explicitly state that they keep logs and payment datas. It's right in their terms of service for anyone who bothers to read.

Anyhow, if a VPN says they don't keep logs, you can be sure that some privacy fanatics out there have done some form of verification to see if the VPN's claim of "no logging" is more or less true.

The "no log" VPNs also put in their terms of service that they are not responsible, and they will not be held liable, if user data is revealed. In other words, "use our VPN at your own risk of a data exposure or breach."

LOL

These discussions have been beaten to death over the years. And it is a topic like "What is best AV ?"

Watch this thread to turn out just like the SSD vs HDD and the Cylance threads.

Jimbo791

Level 2
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
As I said all VPNs keep logs of some sort, they have to in order to keep tract of data and stop abuse. Its up to each one of us to find the VPN that does not keep info that can ID you and what you are doing. So read the PP. Windscribe seems to be one of the best out there

LDogg

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I am using Windscribe, the free version.
I think they do keep some logs but i don't mind much because i use it only for specific reasons.
Yep another paranoia thread is coming up:ROFLMAO:
I think so too. I use hide.me Proxy extension for normal browsing and Windscribe for other things,

~LDogg

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
If you live in a country where it is necessary to use a vpn, I get that but what other reasons are there, is it possible that it is fashionable?

FWIW, you can ignore any post, not with the button, just ignore it like it's not there :unsure: including this one if it offends.

A friend asks if you don't trust your vpn, why would you use it ? :emoji_v::love:

Last edited:
E

Eddie Morra

Has anyone else here seen some Game Of Thrones? Well, there's an episode where Petyr Baelish basically tells Sansa Stark to think of all possible outcomes in her head (e.g. the worst ones) so she's already seen the worst that can happen before it happens; she won't be shocked when the worst of the worst happens because she'd have already seen and processed it in her mind.

I do this with VPNs. If I am using a VPN, I expect it to be keeping logs, despite telling me otherwise. Even if it doesn't tell me this in the ToS/Privacy Policy, it is something I expect. Why? Because this is the real world and the real world ain't so kind.

It doesn't mean I distrust all VPNs. It just means that I know in reality if someone came knocking on a VPN providers door to find out the funny memes and YouTube videos I've viewed in the past 5 years, they'll also be able to enjoy that experience.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
If you notice I am bitter about personal security, please let me confess something- I filled out a number of times security clearance forms (mainly Standard Form 86 and a few others which I won't burden you with). This form was, if memory serves, about 130 pages long. In addition interviews were conducted by Those In Power with people I mentioned in 86, and these interviews were added to my file.

As this form (and the interviews) was shared by an (unnamed) organization that was NOT hacked to the Office of Personnel Management which WAS hacked, some clown in Beijing now knows more about me than I know about myself (I just pray that all my Ex-boyfriends said that I was hot...).

My having a VPN would not have protected me.

If you notice I am bitter about personal security, please let me confess something- I filled out a number of times security clearance forms (mainly Standard Form 86 and a few others which I won't burden you with). This form was, if memory serves, about 130 pages long. In addition interviews were conducted by Those In Power with people I mentioned in 86, and these interviews were added to my file.

As this form (and the interviews) was shared by an (unnamed) organization that was NOT hacked to the Office of Personnel Management which WAS hacked, some clown in Beijing now knows more about me than I know about myself (I just pray that all my Ex-boyfriends said that I was hot...).

My having a VPN would not have protected me.

So much pointless paranoia on the security forums. They've got no idea...

"But I use AV with SRP default deny with VPN and all the privacy extensions ! How in the world was my data stolen from Target ?"

That's it. Park Avenue rooftop here I come. On the way down I'll scream "IT Security Thug Life !"

D

Deleted member 178

Before asking about logs kept by a VPN, ask yourself if you are important enough for anyone to give a damn.
hahahaha, this is exactly what im saying since ages, some fools believe they are Person of Interest, believes their datas are so precious to others that they need to becomes untraceable and hide between encryption tools, VPNs, Privacy extensions, or whatever software to cover their tracks...
Those fools believes Google, MS, the CIA/NSA/FSB/Hydra/SHIELD/Men-in-Black are after their silly browsing habits to digger some secrets they may have...
For them we are just a number in a huge list of potential customers that need to be advertised, they dont care of the content of your pervert mails to your mistress or the exact amount in your bank account; for them we are just living wallets, they build a profile to send you the best ads ever hoping to trigger a purchase from you...basically they do what your bank does but for a commercial purpose, but of course those fools dont whine about their banks...

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
unfortunately there are many popular VPN suppliers who do indeed keep logs, even those with strict 'Guaranteed No Logs' plastered all over their product pages.

Also, there are many of the popular VPN suppliers who use 'Virtual' Server locations, which is another No-No for me.

Here's just a few that break at least 1 of the 2 rules above:

PureVPN
VPN Unlimited
Tiger VPN
Vypr VPN
Express VPN
HideMyAss

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.