Do you use a Standard User Account (SUA)?

Do you use Standard User Account?

• Yes

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 55 62.5%

• Total voters

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
For security reasons, it is good to use SUA as a daily work account.

About 80% malware run with the rights higher than standard user:
Malicious code and the Windows integrity mechanism - Securelist

Most Windows vulnerabilities can be mitigated by removing Administrator's rights from the PC's user:
Want to secure a Windows PC? Turn off Administrator rights

When using SUA (without a pain), some conditions should be fulfilled for daily work applications:
1. They should work as standard user (no UAC prompt when executing, saving config files, etc.).
2. They should autoupdate with higher rights via scheduled task.
3. Alternatively, they should work in AppContainer (Universal Applications from Windows Store).

SUA can work well for anyone, who does not:
  • install many programs,
  • frequently run programs & tasks, that require Administrative Rights,
  • need frequent access to 'Windows' or 'Program Files ...' folders.
I think that most average users can be secure & happy with SUA, with occasional help & guiding from more experienced user. The experienced user, should persuade family members or friends to use SUA, because he/she will have much less work with their computers.

See also (some of many threads):
User Account like a Castle
Poll - Administrator Account vs Standard/Limited User Account
Is using the Admin Account safe?

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I always use a standard user account. Is it just for me but does the poll appear twice back to back? EDIT Seems to have resolved itself for now..

Attachments

• MalwareTips Bug.jpg
    MalwareTips Bug.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
SUA all the way here; I don't mind writing the password as many times as it takes when I'm doing something that requires administrator privileges.
Imo if you need to write admin password while SUA then you are using it wrong. All admin related work should be done with an admin account when needed. More experienced members here can explain it better why that's the case.
Edit: I forgot to say, I am using SUA.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Shortly, on admin account processes ran normally (without elevation), share the same account as processes ran with elevation. So, it is very hard to isolate one from the other.
When working on SUA, processes ran with elevation are started from admin account, not from SUA. They do not share the same account as normal (standard-rights) processes ran without elevation. So, elevated and non-elevated processes are isolated much better.
Security: Inside Windows Vista User Account Control
Still, the isolation is not perfect. Some malware ran with standard-rights, can wait until the user is going to elevate a process, and then elevate without user permission. But, this is not common malware ability.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.