Battle Do You use Security Suite or Separate Security Product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Now a days most of the AV vendors brings Combo Security Pack which includes Antivirus+Firewall+Extra Features.

The poll is here about Do you use Internet security Suite as Kaspersky Internet Security or separate product like Kaspersky Antivirus+online Armor.

Its Easy to use Combo product but many user think otherwise.

Hope we get opinion of members here why they use combo or separate or use none

Z

ZeroDay

I'm currently running CIS full suite, but I'll either be changing back to my old combo later which is Avira free + Comodo fw or to EAM + OA. I do like the CIS suite but I feel a lot more secure with my AV being separate from my FW.

D

Deleted member 178

Depend the product:

1- If the suite has only one good component, i prefer make a combo by selecting the good part and discarding the rest.
2- If the suite has many good components, then i use the suite.
3- If the suite has many good components but it is very heavy, i make a combo

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
Depend the product:

1- If the suite has only one good component, i prefer make a combo by selecting the good part and discarding the rest.
2- If the suite has many good components, then i use the suite.
3- If the suite has many good components but it is very heavy, i make a combo

I think I have misquoted the question,its about what are you using now is it combo or separate product

D

Deleted member 178

Stranger said:
I think I have misquoted the question,its about what are you using now is it combo or separate product

A Combo of suites :D

1- CIS (suite) + EAM (companion single product) + WSA (companion suite)

D

Deleted member 178

yes, testing compatibility. i'm still disappointed by WSA , its detection rate is quite behind the others.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
There are a lot of good things to be said about using components from different developers. Sort of the, 'never place all of your eggs in one basket' mentality.

However, with a suite, you are guaranteed that you aren't going to have any incompatibilities between components. And you only have a single GUI to configure all of the components.

So for ease of use and setup, I generally recommend a suite.

I do however, recommend having a few on-demand scanners from other developers for the times when you want another opinion. :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I use a full Internet Security Suite. I use Trend as you all may know. It's up to personal preference, but I think that an Internet Seucirty Suite is better because you have everything all in one.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
If I am unfamiliar or hostile corners of the web, I use Sandboxie. Otherwise, I let Threatfire AV (Level 5), MBAM and HitMan Pro take care of the rest. If all else fails I break out the bootable Dr. Web or Avira Live CD.

That said, a suite makes much more sense for most users though my son utilizes Avira Free Edition (Gaming Mode), Sandboxie and MBAM (on-demand).

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
I use a full security suite. CIS is very light and they have always had a great firewall and their anti-virus is not to bad also. I used to use Avast + CFW but just decided to remove Avast and install CAV.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
The point is I have found compatibility issues when using a multi layered security system. So I use a whole IS like Kaspersky or quickheal, Sandboxie, EMET, Traffic Light and SAS pro realtime.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
Well,this doesnt make any difference...as a alone AV=a security suite[not applicable for some of them]...a security suite will just have some firewall and additional stuff...1 upside on using a alone security will be is avoiding some bloated stuff from getting on your PC which applies to some security suites... these type of topics are just a waste of sodding time and anyways...u always need something additional to protect u...if u use NIS...u cannot take risk of leaving the PC alone with NIS...it is always better to Run MBAM Pro or something else along with it

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
malwarekiller said:
if u use NIS...u cannot take risk of leaving the PC alone with NIS...it is always better to Run MBAM Pro or something else along with it

I disagree.

Norton Internet Security is quite a powerful suite, yes maybe it doesn't detect all malware, but nothing does. A user with some common knowledge about Internet Threats doesn't need MBAM Pro or other detection programs.

In my opinion a sandboxing and/or policy based solution would be more ideal for extra protection. But not always necessary.

As always it's down to the user's location, browsing behaviour, etc. Everyone's different when it comes to using a computer connected to the Internet.

One more thing, some single security products come with bloat (except ESET :heart: )

notorious_rn

Jun 12, 2012
i use separate product, AVIRA free AV + EAM + Comodo FW or PCTools + EAM + COMODO FW, i am much more at ease using this kind of combos on my PC, never got infected with virus for more than 2 years from now...

tweaking the security products is important to prevent compatibility issues if the other product has AV just disable it and same with the other one, let the other product do its work and vice-versa...

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
notorious_rn said:
i use separate product, AVIRA free AV + EAM + Comodo FW or PCTools + EAM + COMODO FW, i am much more at ease using this kind of combos on my PC, never got infected with virus for more than 2 years from now...

tweaking the security products is important to prevent compatibility issues if the other product has AV just disable it and same with the other one, let the other product do its work and vice-versa...

You're not related to umbrapolaris by any chance are you?

notorious_rn

Jun 12, 2012
Tom172 said:
notorious_rn said:

LOL nope bro, may i ask why?

D

Deleted member 178

notorious_rn said:
Tom172 said:
notorious_rn said:

HAHAHAHAHA! well done Tom :D

@notorious: check my security config, you will know why :p

notorious_rn

Jun 12, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
notorious_rn said:
Tom172 said:
notorious_rn said:

HAHAHAHAHA! well done Tom :D

@notorious: check my security config, you will know why :p

aw shots, i got it, hahahaha sorry about that tom....
and umbra thanks...

anyway just learned that in this forum at least some one thinks the way i think...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.