Advice Request Do you use Windows Backup / System Restore in addition to your 3rd party backup solution?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Sure, and I also employ Macrium Reflect.
I use the restore points only just before the install of a new software,
or just before a Windows update, this will allow you to revert the changes
quickly if needed and save you many headaches.
With Macrium I have a HDD I clone to in the event of an infection I can
swap drives and re-clone in just 6 min. ;)

Last edited:

Spiritus Sancti

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2016
One more question: What are the limitations of Windows System Restore?
AFAIK it does not make full partition backups, and so you can't revert 100% back to the point where the Windows System Restore Point is set...

When you, for example, install a program and don't like it or it doesn't work or is malware or whatever, and you restore to a previous taken Restore Point, can you be sure there is absolutly no leftover of the installed program?

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Okay one more question: What are the limitations of Windows System Restore?
AFAIK it does not make full partition backups, and so you can't revert 100% back to the point where the Windows System Restore Point is set...

When you, for example, install a program and don't like it or it doesn't work or has malware or whatever, and you restore to a previous taken Restore Point, can you be sure there is absolutly no leftover of the installed program?
That would depend on where the Malware Resides, that is why I use Macrium and "not" restore points to recover from Malware ;)
With software, restore points will get rid of most the functional remnants, with only minimal clean up required after, such that Ccleaner or Revo could
clean up whats left with very little issue

Spiritus Sancti

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2016
That would depend on where the Malware Resides
Okay, maybe I should have formulated my question in a different way, because what I also would like to know:
How (un)common is it that installed software/malware has its leftovers when you make a system restore?
Does this (usually) just happen with really advanced malware you don't find often "in the wild", or is this much more common?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Okay, maybe I should have formulated my question in a different way, because what I also would like to know:
How (un)common is it that installed software/malware has its leftovers when you make a system restore?
Does this (usually) just happen with really advanced malware you don't find often "in the wild", or is this much more common?
This can't be clearly answered given the varying nature of Malware, some infect regions of the OS that system restore has no or little impact on.
I knew what you were getting at, and i would err on the side of safety here and say "if" a user relied on System Restore to undo Malware they would often
Find leftovers due to where the infection may lay or attach itself.
For software it would be far less common to find much in the way of left overs, I hope that helps, and if not I step aside for others to respond.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
In respect of this old post ;)

Windows System Restore and Macrium Reflect Free

RollBack Rx and Macrium Reflect Free

One more question: What are the limitations of Windows System Restore?

When you, for example, install a program and don't like it or it doesn't work or is malware or whatever, and you restore to a previous taken Restore Point, can you be sure there is absolutly no leftover of the installed program?

You never hear someone say "I restored from Ransomware with WSR". Mainly because, one of the first things Malware attacks are your Windows services. So your registry, and also Windows System Restore. So when you try to restore, most Ransomware or other trojans won't let you. I mean, Microsoft was dumb enough to leave the service in Windows. So there's nothing protecting it from a swift and painless death.

Depending on who you ask, disk imaging is the hot thing. If you want to maintain the speed of WSR and perhaps have a better alternative to WSR you may want to check out Snapshot tools like RollBack Rx (Review), AX64, or Comodo Time Machine.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Does anyone recommend this:

EaseUS Todo Backup Home

Is there better backup software? I hear a lot of complaints of failure..., in cnet reviews anyway,
http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html
I would like to use something like this to backup system and recovery partition, not so much the data part of it.
There's a full version of Todo Backup ending soon, https://malwaretips.com/threads/easeus-todo-backup-home-8-9.64328/#post-552775
if its not good I won't install it, so info wanted plz.

Would this program be able to create a system recovery type thing, like a copy of the "Factory Image" recovery option build into the D: partition?

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Paragon B&R and AOMEI Backupper free. I love the option for sending an email with information on the results of the backup.

Which is the best solution?
AOMEI Backupper Professional ?
How many Gb i need for back-up C:drive ?

It depends on the size of C: you can do a compressed backup and you can schedule daily incremental copy, so you need extra space.

upload_2016-10-26_22-17-38.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.