Need Help Does A VPN drain a mobile battery quickly if "always on" ?

Discussion in 'Apps - Questions & Help' started by crezz, Dec 11, 2017.

1. crezz

crezz Level 3

Jun 6, 2017
    Ire
    Other OS
    Norton
    Hi-

I understand that running ANY application on a mobile phone will shorten battery life.

However, does anyone know what the implications are of having a VPN on continuously ?

I have an iPhone SE and have tried using VPNs which only turn on when the phone is connected to the Internet. However, the problem I have is that they initially take 10-15 seconds to connect and this really slows down the process of checking emails or browsing web pages. It is easier to have the VPN constantly running in the background and "always on". Because it doesn't need to keep connecting and disconnecting the Internet can be browsed at normal speeds without delays.

But I am concerned that this will drain the battery very fast- something i wish to avoid. Does anyone know if any research has been done on this ? Will it have a big difference of battery life ?

Thanks.

2. Flengo

Flengo Level 1

Oct 19, 2017
    Australia
    Linux
    It will definitely drain the battery - how much it drains the battery depends on many things such as the level of encryption, data authentication and the handshake.

The best way to find out is to try doing it for a few days and compare your battery life between the VPN being on and off.

upnorth, crezz and DeepWeb like this.
  3. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 17
    Content Creator

Jun 24, 2016
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Not really, no. Does an antivirus fiercefully drain battery life on a laptop or phone? It actually uses around 0-1% battery on Android Nougat. And can't even feel the difference on a laptop. Of course the services used and offered are totally different, but it's the same point. Fortificate security by adding a couple of services and processes. Will you run out of battery sooner? Probably. But you won't be able to tell it almost. You can follow @Flengo advice and test it for your own: best way to find out. Because of course it depends on your OS, phone and VPN app (and it's optimization ways).

crezz and Flengo like this.
  4. Hanmin147

Hanmin147 Level 28

Jul 28, 2014
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Not sure what OS you are using but for iOS the VPN is not always on in a sense where if you lock your phone it would seem that the VPN disconnects itself, when you wake it or unlock it then the VPN goes and tries to connect itself again. I think this saves the battery from draining as compared to if the VPN is truly always on.

crezz likes this.
  5. crezz

crezz Level 3

Jun 6, 2017
    Ire
    Other OS
    Norton
    Hey thanks guys