Advice Request Does anybody use IDA Pro?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Wondering if there are some free alternatives that members may reccommend that are almost as good.IDA is hard to beat but it's expensive for the full suite!!The free version has some limitations??
Thanks!!

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Wow that's a little high and the 500 something dollar version does not support x64.
This would be awesome, but not at that asking price.
I wiould start by calling the distro office for your part of the country.
They would know better than anyone brother.
They are 3rd party distributors so they would know and not mind talking about it most likely.

L

LabZero

Wonderful tool that I often use in the free version (only on Win 7).
It parses the file and identifies the automatic functions, enums, structs, and strings. The main difference with the Pro that can be considered, in my opinion, is that it generates pseudo C code from the instructions provided (only Assembly x32).

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Wow that's a little high and the 500 something dollar version does not support x64.
This would be awesome, but not at that asking price.
I wiould start by calling the distro office for your part of the country.
They would know better than anyone brother.
They are 3rd party distributors so they would know and not mind talking about it most likely.
Thanks for the advice!I will look into it.:)

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Wonderful tool that I often use in the free version (only on Win 7).
It parses the file and identifies the automatic functions, enums, structs, and strings. The main difference with the Pro that can be considered, in my opinion, is that it generates pseudo C code from the instructions provided (only Assembly x32).
Yes it'a great tool!!I tried the free version but it doesn't get the updates!
Have you tried Oly debug?
Thanks!:)

W

Wave

IDA is an exceptional piece of software and it's a go-to software when it comes to any sort of reverse engineering (e.g. reversing malware). The professional version is more than likely to be one of the best in the business for what it's capable of doing which is why it's used by all (if not most) of the big security vendors for their manual analysis, too.

OllyDbg isn't the same as IDA since it's actually a debugger for the most part (and as @Klipsh noted, it has some more to it also). IDA also has a debugger built into it. OllyDbg is for dynamic analysis since it evolves around debugging, whereas on the other hand IDA is both for static and dynamic analysis.

Unless you specifically need access to tools which aren't available/are restricted in the free version of IDA then I really recommend you stick with that... Of course, depending on the restricted use of tools only available in the professional version (which can be very costly), you could find external tools whose purpose is to perform the exact feature you were needing to use at that time.

However, you can also get plugins for both IDA and OllyDbg to help improve it and to perform work a bit more rapidly (auto-complete certain tasks, etc).

Edit:

Believe it or not, there is an online disassembly service. You may be interested in it, although I haven't really used it myself & therefore cannot comment much on it's performance or feature set. ;)

PE Explorer has a built-in disassembly features.
Hiew has debugging/disassembly capabilities.
There is also a tool under the name Hopper (which is also compatible with OS X/Linux binaries - although I wouldn't know anything about this).
Last but not least, there is another piece of software called Immunity Debugger which could be seen as a rival to OllyDbg, maybe you'd prefer it to OllyDbg.

There are plenty more alternates to software like OllyDbg and other software which contain disassembly features although in my opinion, nothing really seems to beat IDA Pro... It's used in the security industry and is popular for a reason and you don't grow the reputation that IDA has got overnight! :D However I am not sure of other alternates other than the above, but I do know that here are definitely more. You can try doing some Google searches and looking up onto threads made on sites like Reddit which may have some more software mentioned you could look into.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
IDA is an exceptional piece of software and it's a go-to software when it comes to any sort of reverse engineering (e.g. reversing malware). The professional version is more than likely to be one of the best in the business for what it's capable of doing which is why it's used by all (if not most) of the big security vendors for their manual analysis, too.

OllyDbg isn't the same as IDA since it's actually a debugger for the most part (and as @Klipsh noted, it has some more to it also). IDA also has a debugger built into it. OllyDbg is for dynamic analysis since it evolves around debugging, whereas on the other hand IDA is both for static and dynamic analysis.

Unless you specifically need access to tools which aren't available/are restricted in the free version of IDA then I really recommend you stick with that... Of course, depending on the restricted use of tools only available in the professional version (which can be very costly), you could find external tools whose purpose is to perform the exact feature you were needing to use at that time.

However, you can also get plugins for both IDA and OllyDbg to help improve it and to perform work a bit more rapidly (auto-complete certain tasks, etc).

Edit:

Believe it or not, there is an online disassembly service. You may be interested in it, although I haven't really used it myself & therefore cannot comment much on it's performance or feature set. ;)

PE Explorer has a built-in disassembly features.
Hiew has debugging/disassembly capabilities.
There is also a tool under the name Hopper (which is also compatible with OS X/Linux binaries - although I wouldn't know anything about this).
Last but not least, there is another piece of software called Immunity Debugger which could be seen as a rival to OllyDbg, maybe you'd prefer it to OllyDbg.

There are plenty more alternates to software like OllyDbg and other software which contain disassembly features although in my opinion, nothing really seems to beat IDA Pro... It's used in the security industry and is popular for a reason and you don't grow the reputation that IDA has got overnight! :D However I am not sure of other alternates other than the above, but I do know that here are definitely more. You can try doing some Google searches and looking up onto threads made on sites like Reddit which may have some more software mentioned you could look into.
Thank you very much for your input!!:)
I will give some of these a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.