Advice Request Does anyone even use Super Anti Spyware anymore?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Does anyone even use Super Anti Spyware anymore? I was just wondering if anyone used it anymore I remember back a few years ago it used to be so popular.

Reactions: Logethica
L

LabZero

Contrary to the others opinions, I think that SuperAntiSpyware is a good software perhaps underestimated.

It has a decent malware recognition but has functions that other similar software does not have for example a series of modules for resolving problems such as the application of suspicious changes to the registry and security policies, the repair of the operating system areas that have been changed by malware for example rehabilitate system tray area, the Task Manager, the Control Panel, delete restrictive policy added by malware, Winsock repair and so on.
The freeware version does not update the database automatically but this procedure should always be done manually.
Good for me.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Is it even still adding signatures to their programme anymore? For all we know the signatures could be very outdated :p

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I used it at the beginning of this year as I just got bored, so I used it and it found NO threats...Surprise...Surprise!
But then again, I wasn't expecting any.

Reactions: frogboy

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
I used SUPERAntiSpyware in the past, and now i find the software is futile because Malwarebytes catch all the threats where SUPERAntiSpyware was like " What?". Also, i observed their signature detection and what astonished me is that Malwarebytes > SUPERAntiSpyware in all categories, and that makes me quit using it.

Reactions: Bitan1990

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Used it long time back. Then Malwarebyte came and used it for some time. Then Emsisoft Emergency Kit came and my malwarebytes retired. Now there are so many multi-engines alternatives available.

Reactions: Sr. Normal

dhul.karnain

Level 2
Verified
May 21, 2013
I just tried their "portable" scanner. It installed a service, a right-click context menu item in Windows Explorer and a 50MB folder in the hidden ProgramData folder of my PC.

Unbelievable. This is borderline criminal behavior.

EDIT: oh yeah, now I see I can't even delete this portable scanner. I must uninstall the program from the Control Panel.

Do these morons even know what the word 'portable' means in the context of security scanners?

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For some reason Superantispyware effectiveness came to downfall besides the handle of the owner came from Support.com which suppose to be isolated.

The concept of detection capabilities should be same from MBAM however fails to cope up for majority of threats, no questions for being useful from repair functions however many alternatives came to be preferred choice.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I don't think it is a bad software however there are better options out there especially in terms of free software.Although it does contain some useful tools,the average person will probably never use or even know what they do.The more experienced user can perform most of these tasks without the aid of SAS.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Hitman Pro Alert and Zemana AntiMalware are much better IMO.
ReasonCore seems promissor too ...

Reactions: CMLew

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Anti-Malware Reviewer:The thing that SAS makes it worth within little recognition is the repair feature from common hijack problems but other than that its already downhill.

+ Considering the management of that website is under of Support.com which seems the reputation isn't convincing.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Please bear in mind how good this product was a few years back, like how Spybot Search & Destroy was the best BEFORE SUPERAntiSpyware existed, the product is still supported and they do update it. If they added better heuristics and cloud detection + quicker signature updates it may have a chance of coming back. Personally I believe its tools are quite useful and its detection at browser based malware, spyware and adware are its strong points but everybody has given up on it so nobody knows nor remembers.
SUPERAntiSpyware, you are always in my heart :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.