Does build 1903 have the same "inaccessible boot drive" problems that 1809 had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I tried to update Pro from 1803 to 1809 a few months back and it gave me the "inaccessible boot drive" error on my SSD I tried every known fix but nothing worked, it would not even show up in the install list of drives to format it so I had to re-install Windows 10 to another drive boot it up reformat my main drive and then re-install Windows on it. This time I let it update to 1809 before I installed any other software but again got the inaccessible boot drive and had to start the process all over again.

I am still using 1803 but Windows is pestering me to update to 1903 to keep being supported.

I am real leery of opening the update can of worms, I know the the "inaccessible boot drive" affected a whole lot of people and businesses does anyone one know if the 1903 build has the same problem?

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
It still does. It has something to do with the upgrade process. I forgot what I did to fix it though. :/

Since it seems to affect so,many people one would have thought Microsoft would have made at least a modicum of effort to remedy the situation.

I guess I will have to wait until I have a the time to deal with the mess I know it is going to create before I do the upgrade.

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
FYI: I read about one solution where you change your graphic card to a Microsoft Basic Display adapter, uninstall your graphic card drivers and reboot prior to installing the 1903 update.

I tried that trick and 1903 updated with out a hitch this time, now I am not 100% sure changing card and removing the drivers was what allowed it to successfully this time , but would be worth a try for anyone else having the "inaccessible boot drive" error after trying to install that update.

Reactions: roger_m
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

It still does. It has something to do with the upgrade process. I forgot what I did to fix it though. :/
The fix is a clean install. with Win10, not doing clean install every time let the door open to major issues. i keep saying that since years and it is confirmed recently by an ex-MS employee.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Maybe get a backup program like Macrium reflect free (or any other reliable one) and just do the upgrade (after creating a bootmedia for the backup program)?
If all works just use the PC a week and see if all is ok, if not deploy the backup.
The pain is not the fresh windows install (for me) it's the other dozens of programs to install and configure....

Reactions: oldschool

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
The fix is a clean install. with Windows 10, not doing clean install every time let the door open to major issues. i keep saying that since years and it is confirmed recently by an ex-MS employee.
I didn't want to give any wrong advice here but yeah. What I did instead was to increase the System Reserved EFI Partition from 100 MB to 150 MB and for some strange reason that fixed a lot of issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.