Does disabling UAC in Windows 10 affect other features,functions and protection.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
Oh, and "Wiki" isn't an authoritative source; that would be like citing "GeoCities" as an authoritative source. Microsoft's site--the authoritative source--only has Win7 Smartscreen information that I could find with Win10 being non-existent and other links 404.

Wiki ?? I never cited no Wiki.

But I do know what I'm talking about, so if you where searching for up-to-date background information - then here you go :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2015/04/28/cleaning-up-misleading-advertisements.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/mmpc/shared/ObjectiveCriteria.aspx

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
Martin_C,

If Smart Screen is disabled in Control Panel...Internet Explorer smart screen gets disabled too or only desktop smart screen?

I dont have any experience of desktop smart screen...is it like UAC i.e apps trying to run...or appears only on malware detection?

On desktop you will have a prompt about malicious programs when you try to run them and a prompt if a program are completely unknown.

This is the reputation database.

In browser you will see two different prompts.
A small box hovering above browser, warning you if you attempt to download either malicious or completely unknown files.
And a in-screen warning shown when access to phishing sites, malicious ads and so forth are blocked.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
On desktop you will have a prompt about malicious programs when you try to run them and a prompt if a program are completely unknown.

This is the reputation database.

In browser you will see two different prompts.
A small box hovering above browser, warning you if you attempt to download either malicious or completely unknown files.
And a in-screen warning shown when access to phishing sites, malicious ads and so forth are blocked.
So you mean desktop & browser smart screen both prompt for malicious as well as completely unknown files, right?
Guess the database for both would be the same i.e if you continue with unknown file by the browser SS then desktop SS will prompt on execution of that unknown file, right?
And guess malicious prompt will be like malicious or malware & unknown prompt will be like unknown or unrecognized, right?
I guess you can continue with unknown file i.e an option to continue on the prompt, right?
Can you continue with malware file i.e is there an option on the prompt to continue in case of FPs?

Reactions: Logethica

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Smartscreen doesn't function like Windows Defender, but it may prevent installers that are very new. Similar to app reputation checking. Google "Windows Smartscreen".

Do not rely on Windows Smartscreen as primary protection.

Reactions: Martin_C

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
So you mean desktop & browser smart screen both prompt for malicious as well as completely unknown files, right?
Guess the database for both would be the same i.e if you continue with unknown file by the browser SS then desktop SS will prompt on execution of that unknown file, right?
And guess malicious prompt will be like malicious or malware & unknown prompt will be like unknown or unrecognized, right?
I guess you can continue with unknown file i.e an option to continue on the prompt, right?
Can you continue with malware file i.e is there an option on the prompt to continue in case of FPs?

Windows SmartScreen are a reputation database.
Of course you can bypass it, if you are admin - but why would you ??
When you get prompted that you are downloading or executing known malware - why on earth would you disregard the warning ?
If prompted that file is completely unknown - why would you disregard the warning and be test person on the unknown file ??

Furthermore, you just set Windows SmartScreen to acquire Admin approval.
When running your daily work from a limited account, then you will not be allowed to bypass the prompts without the Admin password.

Going a bit off topic - all in all, Windows are very capable of securing itself.
You can lock down a system with GPO and SRP.
No need for third-party clutter. Just use the security natively built right into Windows.

And on Windows 10 Enterprise, we also have Applocker and Device Guard.
Again native Windows security.

You can make Windows so tight that not even a mouse will be able to pass wind.

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
Windows Smartscreen doesn't function like Windows Defender, but it may prevent installers that are very new. Similar to app reputation checking. Google "Windows Smartscreen".

Do not rely on Windows Smartscreen as primary protection.

Yes, Windows SmartScreen are your reputation database in browser and on desktop.
And your web-filter/screener in browser.

So very true that it's not an replacement for Defender, but an additional guard.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I am going to install CIS. And I am thinking of disabling UAC as usual I do when I install CIS as I find UAC redundant for me.
Now I am thinking of disabling Desktop Smart Screen too as its too redundant like UAC for me. I will keep browser smart screen enabled. what you say?

I find CIS strong covering the bases that UAC & DSS provides & so no need UAC & DSS prompts.

Reactions: Logethica

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
After this discussion, I'm thinking Smartscreen is completely redundant additional overhead if a third-party solution is being used. I've got Norton DNS, Google, Qihoo, AdGuard all checking for known malware or unknown files; I can't see the conservative Smartscreen adding anything to that mix.

Enterprise security is a completely different beat and, yes, for clients, Windows is great (by restricting users to 'whitelisted' activities and locking down the box) and put the third-party stuff at the perimeter. This won't work for the home user who's box isn't that static and who doesn't want that level of inconvenience--for them, I wouldn't recommend out-of-the-box Windows security. I don't even recommend it to myself and I'm smarter than the average bear ('smart' never excludes moments of foolishness).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.