Does Emsisoft Anti-Malware work as an antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Does Emsisoft Anti-Malware work as an antivirus? I want to install only Emsisoft Anti-Malware on my machine, no more antivirus. Does it enough? Can it protect me from lots of virus around the word. Or which antivirus I could install beside Emsisoft Anti-Malware to improve protection on my machine?

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
It is a very good antivirus. Never use 2 antivirus at the same time side by side, it slows down your system and reduces its ability to detect as there will be a continuous conflict between the two.

Reactions: Maxxx58

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
It is a very good antivirus. Never use 2 antivirus at the same time side by side, it slows down your system and reduces its ability to detect as there will be a continuous conflict between the two.
You mean it is a antivirus? Why Emsisoft named it Anti-Malware?

Reactions: scot

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
You mean it is a antivirus? Why Emsisoft named it Anti-Malware?

Here is what mentioned on Emsisoft's site.

Why is it called "Anti-Malware" and not "Antivirus"?
Our analysis lab has determined that classic viruses only make up less than 0.5% of total threats (in 2012). Referring to our product as an "Antivirus" would therefore be wrong by definition. We're perfectionists so we have elected to use the broader term "Malware" when naming our product. "Malware" includes all types of threats, such as viruses (0.5%), rogue security software (0.5%), rootkits (1.0%), adware (2.7%), possible malicious applications (4.1%), worms (4.6%), financial malware & password stealers (5.3%), online gaming password stealers (6.9%), backdoors (13.3%) and trojans (61.3%). Please note that not all "Anti-Malware" products on the market include the same functionality and protection level.

- See more at: http://www.emsisoft.in/en/software/antimalware/#sthash.AGEJiiow.dpuf

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Because it can be used side by side with your existing antivirus. But as Scot said, there will be a system slowdown and quite a few conflicts.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Here is what mentioned on Emsisoft's site.

Our analysis lab has determined that classic viruses only make up less than 0.5% of total threats (in 2012). Referring to our product as an "Antivirus" would therefore be wrong by definition. We're perfectionists so we have elected to use the broader term "Malware" when naming our product. "Malware" includes all types of threats, such as viruses (0.5%), rogue security software (0.5%), rootkits (1.0%), adware (2.7%), possible malicious applications (4.1%), worms (4.6%), financial malware & password stealers (5.3%), online gaming password stealers (6.9%), backdoors (13.3%) and trojans (61.3%). Please note that not all "Anti-Malware" products on the market include the same functionality and protection level.

- See more at: http://www.emsisoft.in/en/software/antimalware/#sthash.AGEJiiow.dpuf
Very attractive information. Thank you. I missed this information when I visited Emsisoft Home page:p

Reactions: scot and Anupam

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Can it replace my current antivirus software?
Yes. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a complete antivirus solution that provides protection against all manner of threats that are lurking on the internet. Two full virus scanning engines are used to ensure optimal detection and cleaning, while the three-layered real-time protection prevents new infections from entering your PC. Read how it works.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
That depends if the antivirus is specifically design to work with others like Webroot and Immunet.

But I don't think OP is in need of that. Emsisoft Anti-Malware should be more than enough for him.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its already a full blown Antivirus since can detect all variant types of computer viruses and malware.

The name of Anti-malware is only a label part to emphasize the product category.

All vendors must declare on what things are capable to do.

peymi

Level 1
Verified
Aug 28, 2014
Hi,
Emsisoft Anti-Malware Protects you from all kinds of malware, like viruses, trojans , backdoors, worm, and so much more,
Yes , it's a complete security solution

Reactions: frogboy

Giannis

Level 2
Verified
Oct 27, 2014
EAM should be more than enough when it comes to protection. Though, make sure you have a third party firewall installed or windows firewall at least, assuming you are a home user.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
EAM should be more than enough when it comes to protection. Though, make sure you have a third party firewall installed or windows firewall at least, assuming you are a home user.
Can you give me some firewall that suitable for me? :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Maxxx58 : It depend on your needs, if you want likely pure firewall then you may choose like Windows Firewall Control, Tinywall, or GlassWire Firewall which help to configure better of Windows Firewall. Else third party firewall which brought mixed components like HIPS (Comodo Firewall).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.