Advice Request does Emsisoft use the most up to date Bitdefender signatures?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Probably you would have to define what is your criteria of up-to-date. One hour upon release? One day? 3 days? ......
my version of up to date means that if there is a signature update that comes out for Bitdefender and Emsisoft signatures do use the most up to date Bitdefender signatures Emsisoft should update theirs too within a hours time.

D

Deleted member 2913

W
A few hours delay. The BitDefender Free has a day delay (or more), the same as Qihoo 360.
I never compared Bd free updates with Bd paid i.e installed on the system.
But I have compared Bd free updates with Bd paid on the update website i.e on Wilders Bd updates are mentioned & clicking on the link shows Bd paid updates version. Bd free was 99.99% time same as Bd paid mentioned on that website. On the website engine & databases version are mentioned. Engine version was as said almost all the time same. Free & paid both carry different databases version so not comparable.

Bd free updates app every 1 & 1/2 hours. This & the above was my experience when I was using Bd free on Win 7.
I do think Bd free & paid signs updates are same, may be with an hour or 2 late for Bd free.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
  • :) I would not be concerned too much about that. First Emsisoft uses two engines,its own and that of Bitdefender, so it removes weaknesses concerning its delay about getting Bitdefender signatures.
  • Secondly signatures are only a little part of security suites these days. There is cloud detections, behavioural detections(in which Emsisoft excels),heuristic analysis and so on.You should not forget about the stability and performance of a product which is an essential part too.You may have a 100% score in signature detections but a poor level of detection concerning Zero-day malwares, which render all the signature analysis useless.Most importantly, no security suite offer 100% detection against all threats;)

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
  • :) I would not matter too much about the delay in signature. First Emsisoft uses two engines,its own and that of Bitdefender, so it removes the weakness concerning its dependency on Bitdefender signatures.
  • Secondly signatures are only a little part of security suites these days. There is cloud detections, behavioural detections(in which Emsisoft excels),heuristic analysis and so on.You should not forget about the stability and performance of a product which is an essential part too.You may have a 100% score in signature detections but a poor level of detection concerning Zero-day malwares, which render all the signature analysis useless.Most importantly, no security suite offer 100% detection against all threats;)
Yeah I guess that is true. Thanks for the comment. :)

H

hjlbx

Even delay, Emsisoft is still very good isnt it?

Both Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Internet Security are very good protection for every-day use for average user.

One thing I like about Emsisoft is that they stick to developing their product - always improving it - without adding a whole bunch of useless stuff.

Emsisoft continually works to fix slow download of updates; it is persistent problem for some users that has Emsi staff stumped... LOL.

That's just how it goes sometimes.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Emsisoft always improving their products.

If I submit problem discovered during beta testing, I always get replay. It might be 6 months later, but I get reply.

Most other security soft vendors = no reply. Ever.
Yep. They do listen to feedback. I recall a couple of months ago, users were arguing whether Emsisoft should have anti-exploit protection, while at first this was denied in favor of compatibility with other security solutions, in seems Emsisoft staff decided to add it.

No idea whether it was you or cruelsister that got this into their attention first, but they also added script protection.
There's also their improvement to deal with ransomware.

And while some might consider this minor, they increased the speed of the scanner.

So like hjlbx said, Emsisoft is always improving their product.

Even if the bitdefender engine is delayed, they still have the surf protection and behavior blocker to keep users protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.