App Review Does Sandboxie protect computer against hackers and keyloggers? Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
I knew it.By default it is useless.
IMO the title should be "Does Sandboxie Default setting protect users against hackers and keylogger?!"

Was hoping it would mention how to harden SBIE or that common practice is adding restriction in Internet Access "No programs can access the internet" when testing suspicious files/programs.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
Many users think that Antivirus and SandBoxie is enough for protection.
Thats true,I used Avast! Free Antivirus and Sandboxie pro 3-4 years ago with properly config and tighten the security and it protected me from everything.If Sandboxie is properly config and Antivirus is tightly config then it can't be easily bypassed(I am wrong also:p).

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Many users think that Antivirus and SandBoxie is enough for protection.

In terms of Malware protection a default sandbox + configured AV is enough protection, and as @hjlbx mentioned
Sandboxie must be hardened to protect against virtual session infection as shown in video.
But then again against sophisticated attack(ex: APT) its a different story...

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
As Duo has pointed out, SBIE has an easily clicked setting to prevent access for any sandboxed application. Comodo has a similar setting, although as Comodo also has the Firewall, outbound connections can be prevented (or monitored) in a number of ways.

So although the video is sort of ingenuous, it does point out the need for Outbound alerts for any security setup.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Obvious that Sandboxie will not protect on that case because its more on isolation, so any crucial information taken will be irreversible.

Reactions: DardiM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.