Advice Request Does SecureAPlus use the same engines as the standalone antivirus products?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Omnipotent

Thread author
What's the difference between the engines in SecureAPlus vs. the standalone antivirus engines? Also how does the licensing work?

Reactions: DJ Panda and DardiM

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
SecureAPlus is an AV + Anti-EXE that uses 12 different AVs some of which are pretty popular ESET, Kaspersky, Avaria, ect. The Freemium is a 1 year trial where you can pay with real money or you can do referrals and other things to get points by sharing it on media sites and getting enough points for that to equal a liscense. :)

O

Omnipotent

Thread author
SecureAPlus is an AV + Anti-EXE that uses 12 different AVs some of which are pretty popular ESET, Kaspersky, Avaria, ect. The Freemium is a 1 year trial where you can pay with real money or you can do referrals and other things to get points by sharing it on media sites and getting enough points for that to equal a liscense. :)
The engines are pulled off VirusTotal right? I'm curious to know why SecureAPlus would be offering the engines to some of the biggest names in security for free, are the engines in SecureAPlus or (VirusTotal) the same up-to-date engines used in the antivirus vendors standalone products?

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
The engines are pulled off VirusTotal right? I'm curious to know why SecureAPlus would be offering the engines to some of the biggest names in security for free, are the engines in SecureAPlus or (VirusTotal) the same up-to-date engines used in the antivirus vendors standalone products?

The engines should be up to date but my knowledge on SecureAPlus is pretty limited. I really want to try it at some point. :)

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
What's the difference between the engines in SecureAPlus vs. the standalone antivirus engines? Also how does the licensing work?
SecureAPlus is not directly comparable to an typical antivirus. It uses the 12 Engines not located on your system instead it's using in the cloud. So if you download a file, SecureAPlus will check the sha-256 code of this file by using the 12 in-the-cloud-engines, to decide whether it's safe or not. The advantage of using cloud-engines is, that you can use your typical antivirus without any compatibility conflicts.
If you just want to use SecureAplus without any other antivirus-program, you can also install SecureAplus with offline antivirus. There is an "real" engine, located on your system, included - by ClamAV.

Reactions: frogboy

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
Pls.,

If I do not misunderstand, both of SecureAplus & Voodooshield are useless if I am not connected to the internet.

So that If I insert an infected USB to my PC without connection I will be infected . Am I right or not ?????

Reactions: DardiM

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Using VoodooShield without internet connection will just block every file on execution - but then you have no information by the 50+ cloud-av scanners whether the file is safe or not so it's useless. SecureAPlus is nearly useless without internet, unless you're using SecureAPlus with ClamAV (offline antivirus). But I don't would try to use SecureAPlus with offline-av together with any other antivirus-solution.

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
Your advice is , to use VS if I am not connected to internet ( At work use many USB without internet connection )

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.