Does the latest version of Emsisoft Internet Security still have BSOD issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Anybody here? Can I ask a question? Does the latest version of Emsisoft Internet Security still have BSOD issues? I hear some issuses about BSOD when installing Emsisoft Internet Security. Did anyone experience this problem? Are there any solutions to fix it? Thanks a lot :D

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
I've tried Emsisoft IS 2 weeks ago and i had BSOD. As far as i know Emsisoft is trying to solve this problem.
With Emsisoft Antimalware there are no BSOD at least in my case.

Reactions: kiric96 and Maxxx58

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
I've tried Emsisoft IS 2 weeks ago and i had BSOD. As far as i know Emsisoft is trying to solve this problem.
With Emsisoft Antimalware there are no BSOD at least in my case.
Thanks for your information

Reactions: MikeV
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi,

No matter the version of Emsisoft or other Antivirus/Antimalware software, a BSOD is always possible. A crash in their driver (kernel-mode) will not crash the application, but the whole system instead. Whereas, usually if there was a issue generally speaking not in the kernel-mode driver, the application would just crash. (assuming they use kernel-mode drivers - however Emsisoft certainly do for a fact).

I have been on-and-off with experiencing BSODs with Emsisoft. One time, I could install it and everything would be fine. However, then I would reinstall it later on in the future after e.g. resetting Windows, to find it experiencing issues and return a BSOD back to me.

Emsisoft Internet Security tends to have issues (compatibility) when you have VirtualBox installed. A conflict, we should say. However, the only way to know if you will have a BSOD with Emsisoft is to install it and see if it works okay. However, even the Anti-malware can have issues. You have to try and see if it does or doesn't. :p

If, there is a BSOD with Emsisoft and it BSODs on start up, you can boot into safe mode to uninstall it.
Thanks. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Hi,

No matter the version of Emsisoft or other Antivirus/Antimalware software, a BSOD is always possible. A crash in their driver (kernel-mode) will not crash the application, but the whole system instead. Whereas, usually if there was a issue generally speaking not in the kernel-mode driver, the application would just crash. (assuming they use kernel-mode drivers - however Emsisoft certainly do for a fact).

I have been on-and-off with experiencing BSODs with Emsisoft. One time, I could install it and everything would be fine. However, then I would reinstall it later on in the future after e.g. resetting Windows, to find it experiencing issues and return a BSOD back to me.

Emsisoft Internet Security tends to have issues (compatibility) when you have VirtualBox installed. A conflict, we should say. However, the only way to know if you will have a BSOD with Emsisoft is to install it and see if it works okay. However, even the Anti-malware can have issues. You have to try and see if it does or doesn't.

If, there is a BSOD with Emsisoft and it BSODs on start up, you can boot into safe mode to uninstall it.
Thanks. ;)
Thanks. Nice information. I am using Emsisoft Anti-Malware and does not have any problems with it. I've just won a giveaway license of Emsisoft Internet Security. Maybe, I will change to Emsisoft Internet Security for more security. But I heard some information about EIS makes BSOD issues. I want to know more before trying to install it :p

D

Deleted member 21043

Thanks. Nice information. I am using Emsisoft Anti-Malware and does not have any problems with it. I've just won a giveaway license of Emsisoft Internet Security. Maybe, I will change to Emsisoft Internet Security for more security. But I heard some information about EIS makes BSOD issues. I want to know more before trying to install it :p
Try it. Hopefully, there will be no issues. :) :p

Reactions: Maxxx58

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
In my opinion better wait until Emsisoft release a fix for it.
Stay with Emsisoft antimalware if it is stable and it doesn't cause you problems.

stephentony

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
When installing the most recent version of EIS 9.0 you need to make sure all your Windows Updates are processed before installing EIS. In fact when you start the install Emsisoft refers to the actual update with a link. I would rather install all of them. In my experience after that is done, no more BSOD's because I had them beforehand. Hope that helps!

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I have been using Emsisoft Anti-Malware for a few months and just won a Emsisoft Internet Security license and installed it yesterday. I have not had any issues with either program as of yet but as all systems have differences my experience may not be yours so it's pretty much a try it to see, good luck!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have not tried it since uninstalling it on Windows 7 SP1 with Oracle Virtual Box installed.Prior to that update I had Virtual Box installed and everything was fine.Personally uninstalling Virtual Box because Emsisoft blames Oracle for not budging on fixing the driver conflict is a pretty poor response.Until a new update I will not reinstall it on my PC with VB on it as I use VB for Windows 10 tech preview

Reactions: scot

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I have just tried EIS (sadly I removed Kaspersky) and all was okay until it asked me to reboot :( not happy!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have just tried EIS (sadly I removed Kaspersky) and all was okay until it asked me to reboot :( not happy!
Are you getting a BSOD on reboot?
Are you running Windows 7 SP1?
Do You have Oracle VirtualBox Installed or did you at one time and uninstalled it ?

If so this is what you need to do to eliminate the BSOD problem with EIS9

HotFix for Microsoft Windows (KB2958399)

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows 7/Windows Server2008 R2 SP1/sp2/Fix499765/7600/free/474557_intl_x64_zip.exe

If you have Oracle Virtual Box you will have to uninstall that also and make sure the Bridged network Adapter driver is uninstalled

Uninstall VB and then run the following command promt

sc delete VBoxNetFlt

I

illumination

Are you getting a BSOD on reboot?
Are you running Windows 7 SP1?
Do You have Oracle VirtualBox Installed or did you at one time and uninstalled it ?

If so this is what you need to do to eliminate the BSOD problem with EIS9

HotFix for Microsoft Windows (KB2958399)

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows 7/Windows Server2008 R2 SP1/sp2/Fix499765/7600/free/474557_intl_x64_zip.exe

If you have Oracle Virtual Box you will have to uninstall that also and make sure the Bridged network Adapter driver is uninstalled

Uninstall VB and then run the following command promt

sc delete VBoxNetFlt
Here is a little extra help removing virtualbox
HOW TO UNINSTALL, DELETE, OR REMOVE VIRTUALBOX DRIVERS
Note: This is a fairly safe process but be sure to backup your files in case something messes up.

There are four drivers VirtualBox installs on Windows and sometimes does not properly remove when you uninstall VirtualBox: Support driver, Host-Only Network Adapter driver, Bridged Networking driver, and USB Monitor driver.

To uninstall, delete, or remove these VirtualBox drivers, do the following:

• Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\.
  • Once in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\, find and delete these five files:
    • vboxdrv.sys
    • vboxnetadp.sys
    • vboxnetflt.sys
    • vboxusbmon.sys
    • vboxusb.sys
Take note that, if you have already uninstalled VirtualBox, you may not have all five of these files. Delete whichever ones that are there.

• Close the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ window.
  • Open Registry Editor (regedit). This can be done by pressing Win + R on your keyboard, typing “regedit” (without the quotes) in the Run dialog box that opens, and then clicking OK. If you are Vista, Win7, or Win8, you will also have to confirm UAC prompt.
  • In regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\.
  • In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\, look for five folders:
    • VBoxDrv
    • VBoxNetAdp
    • VBoxNetFlt
    • VBoxUSBMon
    • VBoxUSB
Right-click each of these folders and click Delete. Make sure you delete all five but do take note, if you have already uninstalled VirtualBox, you may not find all five folders. Delete whichever ones you find.

• Close regedit.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Done!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
No, I am running Windows 8.1 update 2, no virtual box and get the BSOD upon the initial reboot after the install. I tried to install the hotfix, but it stated it's not for this system.

I

illumination

No, I am running Windows 8.1 update 2, no virtual box and get the BSOD upon the initial reboot after the install. I tried to install the hotfix, but it stated it's not for this system.
What was on the system prior to Emsisoft for security?

Edit: Just seen, it was KIS.. Did you make sure all was removed?

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Yes I removed the entire application. Wish I had left Kaspersky installed - as all was okay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.